6/30 Games

flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 30, 2015 -> 01:26 PM)
9th inning HR for Kottaras. 1-0

On Davidson, I know he's not part of the future, but neither is Beckham or Gillaspie. Maybe in August and September they give him a look, and see what they have there. For a bad team, it isn't going to hurt anyone.

Sox should dump Flowers, bring up Kottaras to back up Soto. Davidson will never be as valuable a hitter as Gordon Beckham and obviously not in the same league defensively. That's not good. Maybe, maybe he's useful on a big league roster as a platoon 3B/1B/DH. That would require first getting the left-handed 3B who is better than Gillaspie.

If they haven't dumped Alexei, I'd rather they bring up Saladino to get at bats and man 3rd base. He might actually provide value by playing SS/2B in the future.

Edit: Kottaras with 6 home runs in 22 games and an OBP close to .500. Trade LaRoche.

Edited by Vance Law

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jun 30, 2015 -> 08:29 PM)
Sox should dump Flowers, bring up Kottaras to back up Soto. Davidson will never be as valuable a hitter as Gordon Beckham and obviously not in the same league defensively. That's not good. Maybe, maybe he's useful on a big league roster as a platoon 3B/1B/DH. That would require first getting the left-handed 3B who is better than Gillaspie.

If they haven't dumped Alexei, I'd rather they bring up Saladino to get at bats and man 3rd base. He might actually provide value by playing SS/2B in the future.

Edit: Kottaras with 6 home runs in 22 games and an OBP close to .500. Trade LaRoche.

Agree with everything above. Kottaras is worth a look IMO.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 09:47 AM)
So we shouldn't be overly concerned that Adams' strikeout rate has dropped significantly from last year?

It's not black and white. There are reasons for it (velo drop, K loss) that can be fine - the fact that he's young and getting stretched out full-season, and the fact that Bautista is working with Adams on significant changes to his delivery. Then again maybe he lacks the strength to maintain, which is not great but seems workable. I'd call it a concern, but not a reason to jump off a cliff by any means.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 09:49 AM)
It's not black and white. There are reasons for it (velo drop, K loss) that can be fine - the fact that he's young and getting stretched out full-season, and the fact that Bautista is working with Adams on significant changes to his delivery. Then again maybe he lacks the strength to maintain, which is not great but seems workable. I'd call it a concern, but not a reason to jump off a cliff by any means.

Just my thinking and watching Spencer pitch during school. I think he will have a solid 2nd half. He seems to always come on later in the season. He was touching 95-96 during his last couple games as a high schooler. Something he hadn't done all season. With his body, there is no reason he shouldn't gain speed or at least sit 93-94 as he grows.

In a game early this season, reports was he sat at 89-90. The next game he was at 94 and had no idea why. Has to be something with his delivery or delivery in progress.

Listening to the games, he seems to be working on a breaking ball. He throws it a lot with 2 strikes. Many, many of the hits he as given up has came on 0-2, 1-2 counts, so he needs to develop a knock out pitch other than his slider and that seems to be what he is working on. But, thats JMO :D

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 09:49 AM)

Very good insight NorthSide. Along with stretching out, the strength and endurance should come in time as he fills out his 6'3 frame. As of now he's listed at 171 lbs so the young man is not finished growing into his body.

Another thing about his K rate going down is that Spencer did move up a level from last year so the drop is really not that surprising. What I find impressive is that Spencer has maintained his low BB rate despite facing tougher competition all the while increasing his IP.

Pitchers drafted out of HS take time and patience. I think Spencer is having a fine season so far and as a fan I am delighted he's pitching in the Sox organization.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 11:08 AM)
Because of all of the Ex-Sox prospects who have turned into stars around MLB?

Realized the other day that if none of our prospects turn into stars and none of our ex-prospects turn into stars, that just means we don't even get top talent to step foot into our system

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 04:17 PM)
Realized the other day that if none of our prospects turn into stars and none of our ex-prospects turn into stars, that just means we don't even get top talent to step foot into our system

Yeah, Gio's probably the closest. Daniel Hudson until the injuries, and Hector Santiago has a 50/50 chance to make the All-Star team this year. Brandon McCarthy has had a decent career, when healthy (which hasn't been often).

Definitely no superstars.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 05:17 PM)

We are in the middle of finally learning if we really have a developmental staff or not. The product of drafting a higher level of talent is finally working its way into the higher levels of the system. What guys like Tim Anderson and Courtney Hawkins do will be telling.