Royals fan/writer wants them to get Quintana

knightni

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 12:22 PM)
Just don't see it.

Top, yes; elite, no.

Getting a top 10 for Shark was just a lucky Cubs fluke.

Of course, I am not overly bullish on Quintana, so that's my bias. (wasn't bullish on Shark either).

he may be statistically worth what you guys suggest; I don't see teams paying that.

Then we keep Quintana until next decade. No biggie.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quintana is clearly more valuable than Samardzija at this point.

But guys, GUYS, seriously -- stop using the Addison Russell trade as a frame of reference. EVERYONE thinks/thought/knows/knew that was a drastic overpay. If you're starting there as a precedent, you're just being delusional.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 12:51 PM)
Quintana is clearly more valuable than Samardzija at this point.

But guys, GUYS, seriously -- stop using the Addison Russell trade as a frame of reference. EVERYONE thinks/thought/knows/knew that was a drastic overpay. If you're starting there as a precedent, you're just being delusional.

There is no good reason for the White Sox to trade Quintana unless they receive that sort of a return.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 01:22 PM)
Sale = will absolutely not be traded unless something crazy comes back, like Trout or Stanton.

Shark = Sox don't know if he wants to stay or not, no negotiations.

Possibly the worst update ever. I think my kids know more than this tool.

Nightengale is usually really good with Sox stuff. Samardzija made it clear a long time ago he was going to be a FA. If the Sox want him next year, be really nice and upfront about trading him. He will go to a contender obviously, and then negotiate with him next winter. If other teams don't want to give you anything better than the comp pick, keep him, but if they do, it is silly at this point to hang on to him.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 02:50 PM)
Miami offered him stupid money.

According to fangraphs, he has put up $57 million in value. I think his contract was for $55 million with half a season to go. One free agent who worked out. It would have been interesting if the Sox held on to him. Would they have made the playoffs in 2012? Would Sale have become a closer? Who knows.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 04:01 PM)
According to fangraphs, he has put up $57 million in value. I think his contract was for $55 million with half a season to go. One free agent who worked out. It would have been interesting if the Sox held on to him. Would they have made the playoffs in 2012? Would Sale have become a closer? Who knows.

Sale wouldn't have been a closer. He was always going to start with his pedigree and draft status.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 03:01 PM)

Wouldn't mind trading Q for a haul and signing Buehrls in the offseason.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 03:06 PM)
Wouldn't mind trading Q for a haul and signing Buehrls in the offseason.

Eventually, the 84 or 86, whatever he is throwing these days, has to come back and hurt him. Probably when he signs a White Sox contract. But he seems to be, even with a few less ticks on the gun, the exact same guy he has always been.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 03:08 PM)
Eventually, the 84 or 86, whatever he is throwing these days, has to come back and hurt him. Probably when he signs a White Sox contract. But he seems to be, even with a few less ticks on the gun, the exact same guy he has always been.

Yeah...but we've been saying that since 09. The guy just knows how to pitch.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 03:01 PM)

Decent chance we wouldn't have gone after Abreu.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 08:36 PM)
Anyone hear what Nightingale had to say? I'm pretty sure the flavor of this July is going to be a bunch of reporters talking about what it takes to get Chris Sale and then us trading Shark and dumping Alexei/Boni/Becks somewhere.

Those 3 probably August.