White Sox Make July 2nd Signings

Ozzie Ball

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 2, 2015 -> 11:48 AM)
How do anyone of those teams continue to have money to sign all these international guys

With the Dodgers, they have almost Yankees-like resources due to that regional t.v. rights deal, attendance and ratings/advertising and promotions that aren't tied into the aforementioned tv rights deal.

With the Cubs, who knows? For the last 2-3 years, the stories have been about how financially-strapped they were...with ballpark renovations and buying out/lawyering up with the rooftops.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Special K @ Jul 2, 2015 -> 12:57 PM)
Yes, could someone please explain how this works? The Dodgers outspend everyone every year and so do the Cubs. I thought there were caps. The Cubs keep stockpiling their minors.

The caps are soft. There are penalties based on how far over the caps you guy, but it isn't like an NHL/NFL system where you can't go over the cap no matter what.

Let me ask this then....

When is the last time we signed or traded for someone and trade evaluators commented "he has the ability to be a Gold Glove-level defender"?

Rondon? Trayce Thompson...?

When's the last time we've taken an average or below average fielder and he became close to great? Robin Ventura?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 2, 2015 -> 01:14 PM)
Let me ask this then....

When is the last time we signed or traded for someone and trade evaluators commented "he has the ability to be a Gold Glove-level defender"?

When's the last time we've taken an average or below average fielder and he became close to great? Robin Ventura?

I'd argue that Joe Crede was a pretty great defender.

Let me ask this then....

Rondon

Let me ask this then....

let me ask this then....

how often are 16 year old international prospects praised for their gold glove level defense?

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 2, 2015 -> 02:15 PM)
Come on, man. It was a nod to his dad who is the only player ever to hit two grand slams in one inning off the same pitcher.

Oh I got it, it was more of a nod to the odds that any of these guys ever actually contribute to a major league team.

No mention of Mendoza, don't know what that means.

Chicago White Sox ‏@whitesox 6m6 minutes ago Chicago, IL

White Sox have agreed to terms with four international FAs: OF Franklin Reyes & IFs Brayant Nova, Fernando Tatis, Jr. and Santo Vasquez

The White Sox expect additional Latin American signings in the coming months.

On Mendoza, he is actually from Venezuela, which has been mentioned as having a possibility of being a market inefficiency because most scouts are scared to travel there. Apparently players were taking pretty big discounts there as compared to the DR counterparts of equal quality. No idea what it means for Mendoza specifically, but worth pointing out.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 2, 2015 -> 02:58 PM)
No mention of Mendoza, don't know what that means.

Chicago White Sox ‏@whitesox 6m6 minutes ago Chicago, IL

White Sox have agreed to terms with four international FAs: OF Franklin Reyes & IFs Brayant Nova, Fernando Tatis, Jr. and Santo Vasquez

The White Sox expect additional Latin American signings in the coming months.

Mendoza is probably a smaller signing

Haven't had this much fun talking about a slave trade, since me and the other black students at UIC got together every February for our Black History brunch.

This is so f***ed up is not even funny.

Edited by Joshua Strong