White Sox Make July 2nd Signings

Ozzie Ball

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 4, 2015 -> 10:56 PM)
I wonder if the fact that the Sox have fewer minor league teams than a lot of orgs factors into it. Cubs have 1 more and the Astros have 2 more.

that is an interesting point, but the bottom line is the development of each prospects to make the parent team. this is accumulating all the talent that they can and then take the best developed players.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The draft will solve a lot of the issues that go on with LA free agency process. No longer will kids be taken off the market early by trainers who earn a bonus by steering their players to certain teams, no longer will teams be able to hoard the top talent, and it will put all amateur players on a level playing field.

There are some questions, like what happens to international free agents like the Cubans and Japanese, but I believe that MLB will use the same criteria that it uses for eligibility for J2 signing as the framework of who will be eligible in a world draft.

The draft will be slotted and be pretty similar in function to the Rule 4 draft. I would imagine during the next CBA there will be two drafts slotted similarly that will take place about a month apart.

The LA countries will be up in arms because all of the corruption leads to a steady revenue stream into those countries, but they really have no alternatives. They can restrict their players from coming, but will then risk defections as Cuba has for years, or they can attempt to start their own leagues, which will not be able to generate enough revenue to compete, they can try to create an agreement to send their players to the NPB, but the money is still likely going to be better in what the players will receive in a MLB draft.

The largest issue I see is that the buscans will get out of the business so there may be a void in the player development in the LA countries. To compensate for that and to establish goodwill after imposing the draft I think MLB should divert funds into creating MLB amateur academies and youth leagues. Academies not run by any team but overseen by the league in general to help develop fundamentals and allow scouts from all teams the opportunities to see the players up close. This can be beneficial in expanding the foundation of players that the draft can draw from. Of course you would have a few in the DR, but you could also expand into places like Panama, Curacao, Brazil and Mexico.

Puerto Rico took a step back from producing talent when the draft was put in place as a lot of the player development infrastructure eroded. But with the Puerto Rico Baseball academy they have bounced back and started producing high level talent again including Carlos Correa and Christian Vazques in the last few drafts.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 4, 2015 -> 05:56 PM)
I wonder if the fact that the Sox have fewer minor league teams than a lot of orgs factors into it. Cubs have 1 more and the Astros have 2 more.

Perhaps, but the Sox have quite a few "org players" that could be passed over if there were prospects knocking at the door.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 7, 2015 -> 11:04 AM)
The draft will solve a lot of the issues that go on with LA free agency process. No longer will kids be taken off the market early by trainers who earn a bonus by steering their players to certain teams, no longer will teams be able to hoard the top talent, and it will put all amateur players on a level playing field.

There are some questions, like what happens to international free agents like the Cubans and Japanese, but I believe that MLB will use the same criteria that it uses for eligibility for J2 signing as the framework of who will be eligible in a world draft.

The draft will be slotted and be pretty similar in function to the Rule 4 draft. I would imagine during the next CBA there will be two drafts slotted similarly that will take place about a month apart.

The LA countries will be up in arms because all of the corruption leads to a steady revenue stream into those countries, but they really have no alternatives. They can restrict their players from coming, but will then risk defections as Cuba has for years, or they can attempt to start their own leagues, which will not be able to generate enough revenue to compete, they can try to create an agreement to send their players to the NPB, but the money is still likely going to be better in what the players will receive in a MLB draft.

The largest issue I see is that the buscans will get out of the business so there may be a void in the player development in the LA countries. To compensate for that and to establish goodwill after imposing the draft I think MLB should divert funds into creating MLB amateur academies and youth leagues. Academies not run by any team but overseen by the league in general to help develop fundamentals and allow scouts from all teams the opportunities to see the players up close. This can be beneficial in expanding the foundation of players that the draft can draw from. Of course you would have a few in the DR, but you could also expand into places like Panama, Curacao, Brazil and Mexico.

Puerto Rico took a step back from producing talent when the draft was put in place as a lot of the player development infrastructure eroded. But with the Puerto Rico Baseball academy they have bounced back and started producing high level talent again including Carlos Correa and Christian Vazques in the last few drafts.

This is a great post.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 7, 2015 -> 05:04 PM)

there is a major problem i see, these young kids will be playing to develop a skill to play ball...... what happens to those who doesn't develop, doesn't make the big club, they have no skills out side playing ball.

with this responsibility of setting up a complex to promote baseball. it also become the inherent responsibility, of these complexes to teach them a skill as well. that is the draw back of something like this. not doing the skills training is like abusing them, taking advantage of them taking and profiting from a talent they may produce. all b/c they may have a unique skill that can be exploited for entertainment value in america past-time.

i will now name it..... it is like child prostitution.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 7, 2015 -> 11:58 AM)
there is a major problem i see, these young kids will be playing to develop a skill to play ball...... what happens to those who doesn't develop, doesn't make the big club, they have no skills out side playing ball.

with this responsibility of setting up a complex to promote baseball. it also become the inherent responsibility, of these complexes to teach them a skill as well. that is the draw back of something like this. not doing the skills training is like abusing them, taking advantage of them taking and profiting from a talent they may produce. all b/c they may have a unique skill that can be exploited for entertainment value in america past-time.

i will now name it..... it is like child prostitution.

The same thing that happens to the kids in the US who don't succeed in baseball. They have to move on with their lives. Think about it. There are 750 roster spots in major league baseball. Each year over 1200 kids are picked in the Rule 4 draft alone. The vast majority of those kids never see a day of major league baseball. That is without talking about international signings, undrafted free agents, etc. If you don't have a plan for life after baseball, you are making a big mistake because the odds are not ever in your favor.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 7, 2015 -> 06:11 PM)
The same thing that happens to the kids in the US who don't succeed in baseball. They have to move on with their lives. Think about it. There are 750 roster spots in major league baseball. Each year over 1200 kids are picked in the Rule 4 draft alone. The vast majority of those kids never see a day of major league baseball. That is without talking about international signings, undrafted free agents, etc. If you don't have a plan for life after baseball, you are making a big mistake because the odds are not ever in your favor.

the problem is, these kids know nothing else but playing ball.

it is the wisdom of these, who set up these complexes to think of the common good.

wasn't there some kind of issue that was brought up in the offseason about this??

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 7, 2015 -> 06:20 PM)
the problem is, these kids know nothing else but playing ball.

it is the wisdom of these, who set up these complexes to think of the common good.

wasn't there some kind of issue that was brought up in the offseason about this??

If you have an academy type setting you could also have school. These are very young kids. Teach them english, it would help them if they come over and being bilingual would help those that don't make it have a skill in the tourism industry.

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Jul 7, 2015 -> 09:24 PM)
If you have an academy type setting you could also have school. These are very young kids. Teach them english, it would help them if they come over and being bilingual would help those that don't make it have a skill in the tourism industry.

that will be a better thought process, but i really don't trust this being done. however, i see some kind of agency overseeing this additional training.

that will cost extra money for the over head.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 7, 2015 -> 03:29 PM)
that will be a better thought process, but i really don't trust this being done. however, i see some kind of agency overseeing this additional training.

that will cost extra money for the over head.

And still be cheaper than the current structure.

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Jul 7, 2015 -> 03:24 PM)

It would also be nice if they could steer some of the kids to college programs that aren't going to get selected at 16 or 17 and guarantee college for those that are selected as is done in the rule 4 draft.