White Sox Make July 2nd Signings

Ozzie Ball

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 3, 2015 -> 02:07 PM)
I'm starting to like this idea of going big in 2016. With 5 or 6 teams that normally spend big being out of the picture, that gives a team like the White Sox an opportunity to seriously load up on talent. That might be the year to go for it.

looking at that point, you do make a excellent best case scenario.

however, and this is on me, the int'l draft will be changing, the question is when.

the only way to look at the negative side on that, the major talent potential is nice is this yr. now i am not saying that talent next yr is bad, i am saying the major potential is this yr.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 3, 2015 -> 08:22 AM)

however, and this is on me, the int'l draft will be changing, the question is when.

the only way to look at the negative side on that, the major talent potential is nice is this yr. now i am not saying that talent next yr is bad, i am saying the major potential is this yr.

The draft when you think about it, isnt that realistic of a possibility, as far as Latin America is concerned. Why would the DR subject themselves to becoming the new Puerto Rico? The league would also have to navigate Venezuela, which is going through a period of civil unrest and relations between them and America aren't exactly friendly right now. Plus as Ben Badler wrote, scouts are terrified to go there and stay for an extended period of time.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jul 3, 2015 -> 10:23 AM)
The draft when you think about it, isnt that realistic of a possibility, as far as Latin America is concerned. Why would the DR subject themselves to becoming the new Puerto Rico? The league would also have to navigate Venezuela, which is going through a period of civil unrest and relations between them and America aren't exactly friendly right now. Plus as Ben Badler wrote, scouts are terrified to go there and stay for an extended period of time.

Mlb would have to make sure that they're in accord with all the various labor laws, will the Mexican League just give up all of its power, and the logistics.... how many rounds, what about undrafted players, hard slots or bonus pools, etc.

Its a nightmare waiting to happen

If you want to know how f***ed the system is, just take a look at Micker Adolfo.

He is a natural born American citizen, from the Virgin Islands but because he felt that the draft would pay no attention to him, his family uprooted themselves, left American soil and headed for the DR, a third world country.

Hold on, don't say anything and think about that for a moment.......

U.S. Citizens moving to a foreign country so that they can gain employment from a US company that essentially holds a legal multi billion dollar monopoly. In what world does that even make sense?

Would an international draft slice that problem and stop things like this from happening, I don't know. The draft would allow for more corruption.

Alexei was projected to be a utility player in the Ramon Santiago range, and some had him as a CFer.

Can the White Sox take credit for his defense? More than Omar Vizquel as player coach?

Once again, let's just try for players who were projected to be well-above average defenders...Joe Crede evolved into one, so the White Sox should get some credit for him and Rowand, although Aaron's defense ended up a bit overrated.

Brian Anderson would be another. Jordan Danks as well. But there aren't many.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 3, 2015 -> 10:41 AM)
Alexei was projected to be a utility player in the Ramon Santiago range, and some had him as a CFer.

Can the White Sox take credit for his defense? More than Omar Vizquel as player coach?

Once again, let's just try for players who were projected to be well-above average defenders...Joe Crede evolved into one, so the White Sox should get some credit for him and Rowand, although Aaron's defense ended up a bit overrated.

Brian Anderson would be another. Jordan Danks as well. But there aren't many.

What were Alexei, Rowand, and Credes projections as 16 year olds?

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jul 3, 2015 -> 04:23 PM)

ok but i wrote this..

so re your comment, how does that pertain to me?

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jul 3, 2015 -> 04:36 PM)
If you want to know how f***ed the system is, just take a look at Micker Adolfo.

He is a natural born American citizen, from the Virgin Islands but because he felt that the draft would pay no attention to him, his family uprooted themselves, left American soil and headed for the DR, a third world country.

Hold on, don't say anything and think about that for a moment.......

U.S. Citizens moving to a foreign country so that they can gain employment from a US company that essentially holds a legal multi billion dollar monopoly. In what world does that even make sense?

Would an international draft slice that problem and stop things like this from happening, I don't know. The draft would allow for more corruption.

there will always be loop holes, and team will always try to exploit those hole.

ref to your other post of labor law..... if there was such a problem, believe you me, the law enforcement agency will have gotten involve already. that is if i was reading what you wrote right.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jul 3, 2015 -> 06:15 PM)
You brought up the draft

i brought up something purely innocent on how the draft this yr was stronger.

i didn't digress into the DR, PR and such and the safety of the scouts. how is that related to what i was stating???

the draft is the draft. it is what it is. politics of who is being listed is not the question,

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jul 3, 2015 -> 10:27 AM)
Mlb would have to make sure that they're in accord with all the various labor laws, will the Mexican League just give up all of its power, and the logistics.... how many rounds, what about undrafted players, hard slots or bonus pools, etc.

Its a nightmare waiting to happen

The NHL and NBA have world wide drafts. I think the MLB can manage.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 3, 2015 -> 11:10 AM)
Matt David

@JesseSanchezMLB White sox still in on Eddy Martinez and Amarista??

Jesse Sanchez ‏@JesseSanchezMLB 15m15 minutes ago

I hear yes on Martinez. They were initially on Amarista.

I'd love to get Martinez....

:pray

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 3, 2015 -> 02:42 PM)
The NHL and NBA have world wide drafts. I think the MLB can manage.

The NHL draft selects 210 players all from North America and Europe, the NBA draft selects 60 players again mostly from North America and Europe. The MLB draft selects +1200 players as it is, and if they do an international draft they would dealing with third world nations, not to mention the system is pretty corrupt as it is.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jul 3, 2015 -> 03:31 PM)
The NHL draft selects 210 players all from North America and Europe, the NBA draft selects 60 players again mostly from North America and Europe. The MLB draft selects +1200 players as it is, and if they do an international draft they would dealing with third world nations, not to mention the system is pretty corrupt as it is.

Putting everyone on equal footing is the least corrupting system of all. A worldwide draft eliminates the need for buscons and "trainers" to steal money from these kids, as there isn't negotiations with multiple teams. You also put the Americas on equal footing with the rest of Latin America where there isn't an incentive to not be drafted.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 3, 2015 -> 11:10 AM)
Matt David

@JesseSanchezMLB White sox still in on Eddy Martinez and Amarista??

Jesse Sanchez ‏@JesseSanchezMLB 15m15 minutes ago

I hear yes on Martinez. They were initially on Amarista.

I'd love to get Martinez....

I was going to post this as well. If they are in fact, still in on Martinez, doesn't that mean that they must be willing to pay a penalty and take the loss next year? Even if they don't land him, they know the details of the arrangement. Maybe they are willing to go there for a kid like Martinez.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 3, 2015 -> 03:58 PM)
I was going to post this as well. If they are in fact, still in on Martinez, doesn't that mean that they must be willing to pay a penalty and take the loss next year? Even if they don't land him, they know the details of the arrangement. Maybe they are willing to go there for a kid like Martinez.

That is exactly what I think it is. They are probably right against their 2015 cap right now. For a guy like Martinez they go over.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 3, 2015 -> 09:57 PM)
Just read up on the year that the Cubs went over bonus pool, they signed a whopping 47 guys in the signing period. FWIW Sox signed 18. Just another reason why the system benefits the rich.

while the northsiders signed 47, what was the total cost at the end of the day??

they are going to have 1 hell of a system in the coming yrs.

yo.... sox owners, this is how to rebuild the farm system.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 4, 2015 -> 08:32 AM)
while the northsiders signed 47, what was the total cost at the end of the day??

Sorry If it is not slotted Sox are not going to sign a lot of guys.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 4, 2015 -> 08:32 AM)

I wonder if the fact that the Sox have fewer minor league teams than a lot of orgs factors into it. Cubs have 1 more and the Astros have 2 more.