Sale to StL Cards speculation

knightni

Ugh, makes me want to cry. Does anyone else remember crying?:

"I wouldn’t sell the farm for any player in either league. By September Martinez will be the Cards best pitcher, and barring injury in two years may be the best pitcher in the league. I believe that where he is headed anyway. Grichuk is a superstar in the making. I know all the metrics folks may not think so, but let’s just name a couple of Cards who got a lot better after age 23. Does anyone remember Lou Brock or Ozzie Smith? Is Grichuk going to be another player of that caliber? Don’t know, but it is a possibility. Reyes certainly has potential. Yeah I know potential doesn’t always produce results, but a lot of great player have been traded before a team realized what they had. Can you say Adam Wainright? Sure the Cards could use some help with starting pitching, but I don’t believe in selling the farm."

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 2, 2015 -> 02:24 PM)
Kill this thread. That article is another fanboy article and the way the rumor started is just some guy seeing Sale pitch well and long for him to be on his beloved Cardinals.

Gotta agree with Greg on this.

The Sox pass hard on that deal.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 2, 2015 -> 03:28 PM)
Ugh. I don't see a fit with STL. We would need a huge headline player to start a deal, and I don't see Martinez being it. The other side is that I don't see STL wanting to give up enough to get Sale.

They would have made sense a couple years ago but between the tragedy and the fact that many of their players have now arrived and are contributing to the team, they had even dropped out of the top 15 systems according to BA and others by the start of the year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 2, 2015 -> 02:28 PM)
Ugh. I don't see a fit with STL. We would need a huge headline player to start a deal, and I don't see Martinez being it. The other side is that I don't see STL wanting to give up enough to get Sale.

Did you even read the article? Martinez will be worth 3/4's of Sale alone. And Grichuk? He's a 4.6-5.7 WAR player going forward. Way too valuable for a top 15 pitcher.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 2, 2015 -> 02:41 PM)
Did you even read the article? Martinez will be worth 3/4's of Sale alone. And Grichuk? He's a 4.6-5.7 WAR player going forward. Way too valuable for a top 15 pitcher.

Smashing my head against my desk made it kind of hard to read the article.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 2, 2015 -> 12:54 PM)
There's a TON of misuse of sabermetric stats in this article. Really sad for a pretty highly-reputed blog.

The whole article is freaking delusional. The point that Martinez is worth 3/4th of sale told me the guy was literally insane in the first place. Let alone the wild ass projections of guys with minimal big league experience or just the logic behind the well this guy pitched x innings and you should be impressed by he's thrown a bit more then Martinez (and that number being just over 5 innings a start...which is nothing to brag about). Whole thing was pathetic. Literally one of the worst pieces of trash I've read in a while.

I don't know if I'd take that deal if the Sox only had Sale signed for 1.5 more seasons at $30M per. And the guy called Sale "one of the best 15 pitchers in the game." Hilarious. All that needs to be said.

/thread