**7/6 Epic Game Thread! Sox vs Jays!**

Brian

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 6, 2015 -> 11:36 AM)
I've said this for a while now, but the Sox miss Viciedo's bat vs LHP. He was pretty dangerous against soft-tossing LHP.

I still have nightmares over this 4th inning at-bat against a soft-tossing LHP. It began the 2012 death march, and the Sox haven't been competitive since.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/KC...201209190.shtml

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 6, 2015 -> 05:51 PM)
Viciedo hurts your bench because in order to hit him against lefties you need to play another defender in his place after he hits. That is terrible strategy. Bonifacio at least plays multiple positions and you can play him after he hits(at least that was the theory)

Even as the DH? But I agree about your Bonifacio in theory idea. I recall after he signed, they even talked about him being a DH against LHP sometimes. Unfortunately he forgot how to play baseball this year.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 6, 2015 -> 05:56 PM)
I still have nightmares over this 4th inning at-bat against a soft-tossing LHP. It began the 2012 death march, and the Sox haven't been competitive since.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/KC...201209190.shtml

Me too, me too. Turning point of that season. Sad thing is he actually was great vs Chen in his career.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 6, 2015 -> 11:56 AM)
Even as the DH? But I agree about your Bonifacio in theory idea. I recall after he signed, they even talked about him being a DH against LHP sometimes. Unfortunately he forgot how to play baseball this year.

Come on now, you watched Viciedo just like I did. The last couple years were complete garbage, no steps forward, and actually he regressed against lefties(last year he was worse against lefties than righties). The cord needed to be cut

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 6, 2015 -> 05:59 PM)
Come on now, you watched Viciedo just like I did. The last couple years were complete garbage, no steps forward, and actually he regressed against lefties(last year he was worse against lefties than righties). The cord needed to be cut

Yes, but they never replaced any of his power on the bench to help vs LHP. The Sox have an OPS .046 lower vs LHP than anyone in baseball. Oakland is the 2nd worst AL team vs LHP, and they are nearly .100 points higher.

Let's just say, it's a good thing the Sox never have to face Chris Sale :)

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 6, 2015 -> 12:04 PM)
Yes, but they never replaced any of his power on the bench to help vs LHP. The Sox have an OPS .046 lower vs LHP than anyone in baseball. Oakland is the 2nd worst AL team vs LHP, and they are nearly .100 points higher.

Let's just say, it's a good thing the Sox never have to face Chris Sale :)

Oakland is 2nd worst and have no place for Viciedo on the roster. That should tell you something right there

Looking at the LHP splits, they are shocking. Only 3 players on this team currently have an OPS vs LHP above .650 (Avi, Abreu and Soto). Melky, Eaton and Beckham are below .500 with Sanchez at a powerful .291.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 6, 2015 -> 01:09 PM)
That they wasted 3 years, 30 million on Billy Butler :)

You reminded me to check and he's been worse than last year. Impressive how he's completely fallen apart the last couple years and makes me glad we didn't sign that one.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 6, 2015 -> 10:14 AM)
You reminded me to check and he's been worse than last year. Impressive how he's completely fallen apart the last couple years and makes me glad we didn't sign that one.

What the hell ? You guys must be bored to tears waiting for this pitching matchup.

Really ? Arguing about Viciedo vs. Melky ? I admit I had huge hopes that Viciedo could become an elite hitter. He didn't ever improve for whatever reason he just didn't have IT.

At least I'm not seeing Melky kick the ball around then pick it and drop it and kick it again.And Melky has had actual good seasons and I'm pretty sure some of those haven't been because of steroids. Viciedo wishes he could have the career of Melky. But I guess that just me adding to the argument.

Even if we got the good Melky or the better Viciedo it wouldn't make any impact on where this team currently stands. It would only be one player hitting better still with defensive issues with most of the hitters still under performing.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 6, 2015 -> 12:49 PM)
What the hell ? You guys must be bored to tears waiting for this pitching matchup.

Really ? Arguing about Viciedo vs. Melky ? I admit I had huge hopes that Viciedo could become an elite hitter. He didn't ever improve for whatever reason he just didn't have IT.

At least I'm not seeing Melky kick the ball around then pick it and drop it and kick it again.And Melky has had actual good seasons and I'm pretty sure some of those haven't been because of steroids. Viciedo wishes he could have the career of Melky. But I guess that just me adding to the argument.

Even if we got the good Melky or the better Viciedo it wouldn't make any impact on where this team currently stands. It would only be one player hitting better still with defensive issues with most of the hitters still under performing.

WELCOME TO SOXTALK! :P

Tickets on stubhub are insane for this. Upper deck for $50.

Tickets on stubhub seem to be insane in general. Looking for 4 tix to Sunday 7/19 and everybody is asking at or above face value even though there are face value tickets available for direct purchase. Hoping prices come down eventually.

Can't wait for this game, but it may not be played tonight. It's already storming pretty hard here and it's not supposed to stop for a while

Edit- by a while I mean 7 AM tomorrow

Edited by Jose Abreu

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 6, 2015 -> 12:36 PM)
This may be one of those crazy, rain-delay games where Sale and Buehrle have to deal with four delays and they pitch like two innings each. So the weather may ruin the streak.

In the season of Murphy's law for the Sox a huge drawing card of a game was bound to get rained out . Haven't you Gods of Baseball crapped on the Sox franchise enough during the past 100 years or does it never get old laughing and beating on the ugly step child ?

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 6, 2015 -> 02:36 PM)
This may be one of those crazy, rain-delay games where Sale and Buehrle have to deal with four delays and they pitch like two innings each. So the weather may ruin the streak.

That would truly suck.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Jul 6, 2015 -> 03:51 PM)
If this is what it looks like, move everyone else in the rotation up a day so Sale can pitch a full game.

The version I see suggests it'll be clear around 7 for an hour then possibly a short burst of rain about 8.

Unfortunately you don't do things like that, "make the person scheduled to go tomorrow go today" without any warning.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 6, 2015 -> 02:53 PM)
The version I see suggests it'll be clear around 7 for an hour then possibly a short burst of rain about 8.

Unfortunately you don't do things like that, "make the person scheduled to go tomorrow go today" without any warning.

I know it's not the norm, but you can't ruin Sale's streak because of the weather. You just can't.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Jul 6, 2015 -> 02:55 PM)
I know it's not the norm, but you can't ruin Sale's streak because of the weather. You just can't.

Yes, because Chris Sale should be put ahead of the team, and the Sox should throw Jose Quintana out there with short rest, risking injury among other things, so Sale gets a shot at the record. T