First time coming to a game

pmb0928

So I have been a Sox fan since I was 9 when Jeff Torburg spoke at my little league banquet in NJ and then he got the Sox manager job the next year. I live in eastern NC now and have never seen a white sox game in person. Well I have managed to make my 9 year old son a white sox fan and for his birthday we are going to see the Sox play the angels in August on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. Even though he loves the Sox Mike Trout is his favorite player and we are sitting in row 1 in right center for 1 game and behind the sox dugout a few rows back for Game 2.

So I would love some advice. We are flying southwest into midway tuesday morning. We have not booked a hotel yet and was wondering if we could get recommendations on good hotels. I am looking to spend no more than $200 per night.

Also, what are some places to eat at? We are both huge sports fans so sports bars with great food are a priority.

Any other cool things that we should check out in the city. We have possibly some of tuesday and wednesday morning to kill.

Also, we love to tailgate so if anyone tailgates for games on here and wants another 2 people let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Pete

QUOTE (ecupittfan @ Jul 11, 2015 -> 01:11 AM)
So I have been a Sox fan since I was 9 when Jeff Torburg spoke at my little league banquet in NJ and then he got the Sox manager job the next year. I live in eastern NC now and have never seen a white sox game in person. Well I have managed to make my 9 year old son a white sox fan and for his birthday we are going to see the Sox play the angels in August on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. Even though he loves the Sox Mike Trout is his favorite player and we are sitting in row 1 in right center for 1 game and behind the sox dugout a few rows back for Game 2.

So I would love some advice. We are flying southwest into midway tuesday morning. We have not booked a hotel yet and was wondering if we could get recommendations on good hotels. I am looking to spend no more than $200 per night.

Also, what are some places to eat at? We are both huge sports fans so sports bars with great food are a priority.

Any other cool things that we should check out in the city. We have possibly some of tuesday and wednesday morning to kill.

Also, we love to tailgate so if anyone tailgates for games on here and wants another 2 people let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Pete

food.....

pizza - geno's home run inn

mexican - little village, nuevo leon

the polish suasage i forgot where they moved.

entertainment, the museum right off lsd. navy pier.

hotel, i do not know the cost. i stayed at the foster on lsd.

if able gots to see the museum and catch a deep dish pizza.

My first question is what is lsd?

Thanks for the recommendations on hotels. I will look into hotwire.

I need to know the polish sausage place. Will definitely try some deep dish pizza.

Keep the recommendations \coming.

The sox are hot right now. Watch every game on mlbtv. Hopefully they will figure out how to score some runs. Pitching has been amazing. Hoping we get to see Sale pitch as that is my son's favorite player on the sox.

QUOTE (ecupittfan @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 08:10 PM)

I need to know the polish sausage place. Will definitely try some deep dish pizza.

The sox are hot right now. Watch every game on mlbtv. Hopefully they will figure out how to score some runs. Pitching has been amazing. Hoping we get to see Sale pitch as that is my son's favorite player on the sox.

Lake Shore Drive

Guys what time do the Sox open up the park and can you go and watch BP? Your son will have a very good chance of getting a ball if you guys can get there for BP! I still remember some great times with my pops at the Cell trying to get balls during BP. One time Tony Philips threw me a ball and a fat guy knocked me out of the way (I was like 8-9) and Tony Philips called him a motherf***er and gave me the next ball that came. Philips is good people. I believe he was on the Tigers at that time.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 10:38 PM)
Guys what time do the Sox open up the park and can you go and watch BP? Your son will have a very good chance of getting a ball if you guys can get there for BP! I still remember some great times with my pops at the Cell trying to get balls during BP. One time Tony Philips threw me a ball and a fat guy knocked me out of the way (I was like 8-9) and Tony Philips called him a motherf***er and gave me the next ball that came. Philips is good people. I believe he was on the Tigers at that time.

2 hours before I believe, at least on weekdays. Can't watch sox bp, maybe catch the end of angels.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 08:44 PM)
I've always had good luck with Hotwire mystery deals. Also, the Hilton on Michigan is prime and much, much more affordable than many other options around there.

I stayed there over a year ago. We had a small room in the corner of the hotel that was remodeled. I think the first few levels weren't remodel and the upper levels were. I can't remember exactly. But it is in a great location and the hotwire deal was good for the summer last year. It was $135 per night before taxes.

Use the "L" for travel, they do a 24 hour pass for $10 and you can get in walking distance of pretty much every where. If you have a smart phone you can use maps and find out what trains to get on and where.

QUOTE (ecupittfan @ Jul 11, 2015 -> 03:10 AM)

as someone already posted it is lake shore drive.

the food at the park is great. the refreshments, soda, watered down. oh well can't be perfect.

get there as early as you can wear your sox gear and have a little project for your son, let him make a poster saying NC - Sox fan. and with that, the players are great, they will come over and talk. that is all b/c of the owners insisting on conversation with the fans.

ref the polish, i know maxwell str got demolish, i don't know where they moved to. but they prob be a line to get in there.

you must eat some italian beef sandwiches. extra juicy.

QUOTE (ecupittfan @ Jul 11, 2015 -> 01:11 AM)

Thanks in advance.

Pete

btw, tell your son to bring the sox some good luch. :lol:

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 10:53 PM)
ChiSox Bar and Grill, the sports bar attached to the stadium, has great food. Not badly priced either.

100% this. More often than not, I find myself heading there before the game for their maple wings & pulled pork tacos than going with the traditional hot dogs w/ grilled onions in the park. Just stay away from the Big Hurt beer, which they serve there, as it's absolutely disgusting.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

ChiSox Bar and Grill, the sports bar attached to the stadium, has great food. Not badly priced either.

The original poster is bringing his 9 year old son, so the 'ChiSox Bar & Grill' (formerly Bacardi At The Park) can be eliminated because nobody is allowed inside under 21 years of age.

There are plenty of food options inside the stadium. I recommend a double 'Comiskey Burger', a new food item this season. Wasn't cheap ($9.50) but tasted great.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 08:38 PM)

Phillips was crazy and I loved him. I think he went into the stands once cause he was pissed off IIRC. I think while with the Sox. Fun ball player to watch on the field.

I have made a point to enter the park through Chisox bar and grill. 9/10 times the line is far far shorter than any other gate and they are much faster to get through with bags.

Like I said in my previous message, the original poster (Pete) is bringing his 9 year old son. Nobody is allowed inside 'Chisox Bar & Grill' under 21 years of age.

I saw that, I was just adding my .02 on that entry point. Seems like a good tip for the die-hards on this board.

No problem. I have an 18 year old nephew that I have taken to a few games. We have walked pasted the outdoor portion of the 'ChiSox Bar & Grill' a few times when the area was full with fans. My nephew wishes that he can join the party, but he has to wait 3 more years.