First time coming to a game

pmb0928

QUOTE (InTheDriversSeat @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 01:20 PM)
Like I said in my previous message, the original poster (Pete) is bringing his 9 year old son. Nobody is allowed inside 'Chisox Bar & Grill' under 21 years of age.

Is this still true? I haven't been ID'd once this year, but I may just be getting old I guess.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 11, 2015 -> 09:20 AM)
100% this. More often than not, I find myself heading there before the game for their maple wings & pulled pork tacos than going with the traditional hot dogs w/ grilled onions in the park. Just stay away from the Big Hurt beer, which they serve there, as it's absolutely disgusting.

They don't sell big hurt beer there anymore either.

Hmmmm.....

Eating:

Pizza = Gino's East, Giordano's, Lou Malnati's

Italian Beef and Sausage: Al's #1 on Taylor St near UIC...also go across the street and stop by Mario's Italian Lemonade Stand for some Italian Ice. Portillo's is also a good place to visit.

Seafood/Shrimp: Lawrence Fisheries at 2120 South Canal St. Get the 1-pound fried shrimp. You'll thank me later.

Entertainment: Lake Shore Drive has the Adler Planetarium, Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum of Natural History, and on the south side is the Museum of Science and Industry just off LSD.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 08:31 PM)
"ChiSox Bar & Grill is a feast for the eyes and ears of every White Sox fan"

I don't think it's 21 anymore.

I stand corrected. That change must be one of the many changes made by the Sox to make the experience better for the fans. The last game I was with my 18 year old nephew this season, we walked right past ChiSox Bar & Grill because we thought the 21 age rule was still in effect.

Regarding Big Hurt Beer, I think the product is no longer in production, because I have not found the beer anywhere recently

I still have never eaten pizza that's as good as Connie's. I think the one on Archer is the original because the Connie's at Navy Pier isn't as good, but I live an hour south of Chicago and I drive there monthly just for the pizza. It's that good, and you can usually find 10+ Sox fans there on gameday.

As someone else said, do not hesitate to do most of your eating at the park. ESPN ranked US Cellular Field as the best food park in baseball 3-4 years ago and it still is.

As a fellow out of towner, I suggest taking the "L". I'm sure there is a station by your hotel, just make sure to plan ahead.

Me, for example: I get to Chicago via Amtrak, so I take Clinton (blue) to Jackson and switch to the red line and get off at Sox-35th.

Cell has great food, but it is pricey. For the money I'm going to drop for a polish with onion (which, btw, is the greatest thing ever), a souvenir soda, helmet nachos, you're better off just eating ahead of time.

Check out the two blue seats where Pods, and Konerko's homers landed. The statues, the shower. And just have fun.

I love the Cell. A lot of people s*** on it, but its my favourite park. And I've been to big crowds, and small crowds and its always fun to be at.

I know that seemed like rambling, but I hope it helped. :)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 02:51 PM)
One of my favorite things about the park now that never gets mentioned is the history in pictures along the concourse of the upper deck. It is a great walk through White Sox history.

oh what a great point.....

if i remember correctly, right behind the right field bleachers is a room of the sox history with stories and picters. wow, all those little stories, just like they have at the baseball hall of fame ..... excellent. look at the greg l, kittle and mark mcguire stories of hitting the homerun on the old park roof.

a must see.

do they still have it there???

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 01:05 PM)
Phillips was crazy and I loved him. I think he went into the stands once cause he was pissed off IIRC. I think while with the Sox. Fun ball player to watch on the field.

I remember that!

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/05/17/sports/b...fronts-fan.html

Love Tony Phillips!

QUOTE (InTheDriversSeat @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 02:20 PM)
Like I said in my previous message, the original poster (Pete) is bringing his 9 year old son. Nobody is allowed inside 'Chisox Bar & Grill' under 21 years of age.

The entry through the outside apparel/memorabilia store is fairly quick.

My brother and I made the trip to Chicago for Opening Day this season. We stayed at the Inn of Chicago which is only a block away from the "Magnificent Mile" and was extremely well priced. Not the prettiest of rooms but for the location we both felt we got great value. We walked over to Michigan to jump on the train which took us to the Cell. Plenty of good eats within walking distance and taxis are reasonably priced if there's somewhere you want to go that's a bit too far to walk (I've not used Uber, may be a better option). We also flew into Midway and opted to cab it to the hotel....was $40 with tip...shuttles were available into the city but we just wanted to get to the hotel and not spend 45 minutes jumping between shuttles/buses/trains.

If you and your son enjoy Mexican food, I'd recommend any of the Rick Bayless options (Frontera Grill, etc.). Delicious!

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 11:13 PM)
As a fellow out of towner, I suggest taking the "L". I'm sure there is a station by your hotel, just make sure to plan ahead.

Me, for example: I get to Chicago via Amtrak, so I take Clinton (blue) to Jackson and switch to the red line and get off at Sox-35th.

Cell has great food, but it is pricey. For the money I'm going to drop for a polish with onion (which, btw, is the greatest thing ever), a souvenir soda, helmet nachos, you're better off just eating ahead of time.

Check out the two blue seats where Pods, and Konerko's homers landed. The statues, the shower. And just have fun.

I love the Cell. A lot of people s*** on it, but its my favourite park. And I've been to big crowds, and small crowds and its always fun to be at.

I know that seemed like rambling, but I hope it helped. :)

This was a good reply.

It really depends on your budget, where you're staying, and flight times. But personally I'd recommend taking the "L" into the city instead of a cab. Will save you a ton of money. Easy to navigate either with a little research or asking a "friendly" face on the train. Will drop you off in the Loop. Would stay down there so you can knock off a bunch of things all at once.

Pizza like everybody says is kind of the thing to do. Just avoid Uno's. Go with Giordanos, Ginos East or Lou's -- or the Sox sponsor pizza Beggars -- great pizza IMO. All have locations in the loop. If you are looking to go and explore a little bit theres a place called Pequods in Lincoln Park that is really great too.

Since you are on time constraints, I'd say just take a stroll down to Millenium Park/Lake Shore Drive. Maybe rent a bike, they're relatively cheap and just ride up and down the bike path. You can ride it down to Soldier Field and the museum district all the way up north past the beaches and up to even where Wrigley Field is. Really cool, cheap option to explore the city. You'll get to see beaches, blue water on one side and the Loop and tall buildings on the other. Another option is the Architectural tour. I think its like $35, but takes you down the Chicago River and gives you the history. A cheaper, tour free option, just jump on a water taxi - they are just a few bucks, no narration on buildings, but the view is cool. I'd also recommend taking the L down to the game, but getting off a stop early and walking through China Town, maybe even grab some food. There's a ton more to do, but being on time constraints I just listed cheaper Loop options.

Around the park? Tailgate. Looking for a bar? A few blocks away is Cork and Kerry. One of my personal favorites, nothing too special about it, but I like. Drink a Revolution beer or Half Acre, local craft beer here. While you're at it, go to the Craft beer section to get your drinks at Comiskey, skip getting Miller Lite.

Get a Polish, Extra Onion as your food option. All the rest are good, but nothing that cant be beat outside of the park for less cost.

QUOTE (InTheDriversSeat @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 01:20 PM)

That must be new, because I was going inside with my parents when it opened four years ago and I was 18.

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 08:23 AM)
The guy's kid is 9 years old, guys.

That's why I gave good options! Bars .... wait .....

No, that's why I said renting a bike and going up and down the bike path on lake shore drive would be perfect. Cheap and you see the whole city. Also water taxi. cheap and see the whole city. And after building up a thirst they can head to the pink monkey and a bar. Perfect for kids!