What will Sox front office do ?

White Sox have been on a run that last 2-3 weeks based mostly on pitching and improved defense.

Despite a few here frustrated with Sanchez hitting, he has stabilized the D and I see no evidence that he will be replaced by Micah Johnson any time in the near future.

Gillaspie is seeing less and less time because of his D . Bonifacio is barely used because he hasn't hit or fielded well in his opportunities.

Beckham has fielded well and got some big hits but overall pretty much we we always get or worse from him.

Management seems to have adjusted slightly on the fly, perhaps on the urging on Ventura and his pitchers, using Sanchez and now Saladino to plug holes defensively .

Of course it's not so easy to fix the hitting which remains a huge disappointment.

Will the Sox trade Samardzija ? Are Bonifacio and Gillaspie on the hot seat to be released/traded ?

If Samardzija is traded do the Sox also trade LaRoche or some bullpen pieces considering Jones may return along with Albers ?

If Samardzija is kept do the Sox trade once again from the minors further depleting any talent they do have down on the farm in an effort is get a more productive offense ?

The 4 game series at home against KC after the ASB should give the Sox one last chance to show they can do better within the division since that will probably be the key to moving up in the standings .

Frankly I think holding onto Shark would be an epic failure. The Cubs got a boatload for him . Oakland got 3 ML ready players from us plus another player that fit Oaklands style . I don't expect 4 players but should be at least one guy who looks like a decent prospect or more if Shark is packaged with a bullpen arm.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 04:11 PM)
White Sox have been on a run that last 2-3 weeks based mostly on pitching and improved defense.

Despite a few here frustrated with Sanchez hitting, he has stabilized the D and I see no evidence that he will be replaced by Micah Johnson any time in the near future.

Gillaspie is seeing less and less time because of his D . Bonifacio is barely used because he hasn't hit or fielded well in his opportunities.

Beckham has fielded well and got some big hits but overall pretty much we we always get or worse from him.

Management seems to have adjusted slightly on the fly, perhaps on the urging on Ventura and his pitchers, using Sanchez and now Saladino to plug holes defensively .

Of course it's not so easy to fix the hitting which remains a huge disappointment.

Will the Sox trade Samardzija ? Are Bonifacio and Gillaspie on the hot seat to be released/traded ?

If Samardzija is traded do the Sox also trade LaRoche or some bullpen pieces considering Jones may return along with Albers ?

If Samardzija is kept do the Sox trade once again from the minors further depleting any talent they do have down on the farm in an effort is get a more productive offense ?

The 4 game series at home against KC after the ASB should give the Sox one last chance to show they can do better within the division since that will probably be the key to moving up in the standings .

Frankly I think holding onto Shark would be an epic failure. The Cubs got a boatload for him . Oakland got 3 ML ready players from us plus another player that fit Oaklands style . I don't expect 4 players but should be at least one guy who looks like a decent prospect or more if Shark is packaged with a bullpen arm.

I'm not advocating doing this, but unless they trade for more offense, they should probably trade Shark.

Offense even in this good stretch has done nothing. Pitching has carried the Sox. Sell still in last place and still 15-25 in central division play. Trade Shark and LaRoche

Edited by Soxfest

Who of value can the Sox even move besides Samardzija? A few bullpen pieces? LaRoche has to be a pure salary dump at this point. It's not like whatever happens at the deadline is going to be a bunch of wheelin' and dealin' on Hahn's part. I can see maybe one-two guys moved, tops.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 04:11 PM)

don't expect as much of a return this year. He only has 1/2 a year for the next team. Also, the players traded may have been MLB ready but they had serious flaws. They weren't really highly regarded prospects.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 11:43 PM)
If they can find a good bat for a minor league package that doesn't include Fulmer or Anderson, they should.

The bat needs to not be a rental. I do agree about cashing in on someone like Montas if his stock is high.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 03:40 PM)
Sadly, LaRoche has been a major disappointment. Wouldn't be too surprised to see him be traded.

I still have hope that LaDunn will get hot here any day now...isn't he traditionally a second half player? Hopefully he'll go on a tear right after the break.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 10:49 PM)
don't expect as much of a return this year. He only has 1/2 a year for the next team. Also, the players traded may have been MLB ready but they had serious flaws. They weren't really highly regarded prospects.

an interesting point. never thought of it that way.

so the question should be, do the sox want players who can fill the holes with a limited upside or what??

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 10:51 PM)
I still have hope that LaDunn will get hot here any day now...isn't he traditionally a second half player? Hopefully he'll go on a tear right after the break.

if the sox really have to eat a great amount of salary..... screw it. hold on to him and see how the 2nb half does. readdress it in the off season.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 05:51 PM)

Too lazy to look up the last 2 years, but from 2003 to 2013 Adam had an OPS .113 points higher in the 2nd half of the season. That margin ranked him 5th among all players in 1St/2nd half splits.

If that trend continues and they add another bat, anything can happen.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 05:43 PM)
If they can find a good bat for a minor league package that doesn't include Fulmer or Anderson, they should.

I'd be perfectly fine trading leury Garcia for a everyday 3rd baseman.

Sure that sounds ridiculous, but hey we pulled it off in 2012 getting Youk for Lillibridge.

I expect the SOX to stand pat until July 27th. By that time the KC,STL, and Clev series should make it pretty clear whether they have a shot this year or not. They will plan for both buying or selling during the next couple weeks.

My hope is for them to sell high on Shark for a near MLB ready Catcher or 3B prospect who can rake! This offense is not good enough to win a wild card spot. I wonder what it would take to acquire a guy like Corey Seager?? He has the potential to be an offensive monster and many scouts have him pegged as a future 3B. He is currently defending at SS.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 07:58 PM)
My hope is for them to sell high on Shark for a near MLB ready Catcher or 3B prospect who can rake! This offense is not good enough to win a wild card spot. I wonder what it would take to acquire a guy like Corey Seager?? He has the potential to be an offensive monster and many scouts have him pegged as a future 3B. He is currently defending at SS.

Something probably involving chris sale.

Trade Samardzija if the offer exceeds the value of a 2016 comp pick which imo it will. The idea of trading Samardzija is not to gain back what he was traded for but to sell high and get back something that can help this team either now or the immediate future (2016).

Also trade LaRoche if a team offers something for him and get Avi off the field and over to the DH spot. Maybe becoming a full time DH will help him to soley focus on his bat. Might help, might not but I'd take the shot.

I doubt Boni is worth anything in a trade but if someone wants to take his salary, that's more than enough return for me. Otherwise DFA Boni and move on.

Hamels and Cueto are the only better pitching options out there. Although a team trading for Shark only gets him for two months, it is a seller's market. Got to take advantage of that.

Dump LaRoche simply to shed the salary for next year. Rather see the DH spot filled by a group of guys who can play multiple spots. Melky on occasion. Or Avi. Even Micah Johnson.

Might be able to get something for Petricka or Putnam.

And get Gillaspie out of town ASAP.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 05:51 PM)

That's what he's always been known for. Ideally they would find a solid platoon player to replace him vs. LHP, but I'm not keeping my hopes up.