What will Sox front office do ?

Adam LaRoche's batting splits for 2014 from Baseball Reference:

1st Half:.279/.383/.457 (BA/OBP/SLG)

2nd Half: .236/.336/.453

Fangraphs suggests that Jose Abreu as a better fielder at first base than Adam LaRoche.

LaRoche is here to paper over the fact that the Sox organization does't have any LH power in the pipeline.

Here is a summary of our offensive woes using OPS+ (thru Saturday's game):

OPS+ Player

Starters

136 Jose Abreu

103 Adam LaRoche

101 Avisail Garcia

99 Adam Eaton

90 Tyler Flowers

86 Melky Cabrera

82 Conor Gillaspie

64 Gordon Beckham

56 Alexei Ramirez

31 Carlos Sanchez

Bench

97 Geovanny Soto

94 JB Son Beckham

83 Micah Johnson

55 Tyler Saladino

1 Emilio Bonifacio

Looking at the raw data, I could see the Sox playing Soto more frequently than Flowers over the next 2-3 weeks. Although Alexei Ramirez is showing some signs of life over the last 2 weeks (.306/.342/.361) and I like what I've seen from Tyler Saladino during the Cubs series, the White Sox need to find some help for catcher and the left side of the infield.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigFinn @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 09:36 PM)

Fangraphs suggests that Jose Abreu as a better fielder at first base than Adam LaRoche.

LaRoche is here to paper over the fact that the Sox organization does't have any LH power in the pipeline.

OPS+ Player

Starters

136 Jose Abreu

103 Adam LaRoche

101 Avisail Garcia

99 Adam Eaton

90 Tyler Flowers

86 Melky Cabrera

82 Conor Gillaspie

64 Gordon Beckham

56 Alexei Ramirez

31 Carlos Sanchez

Bench

97 Geovanny Soto

94 JB Son Beckham

83 Micah Johnson

55 Tyler Saladino

1 Emilio Bonifacio

Looking at the raw data, I could see the Sox playing Soto more frequently than Flowers over the next 2-3 weeks. Although Alexei Ramirez is showing some signs of life over the last 2 weeks (.306/.342/.361) and I like what I've seen from Tyler Saladino during the Cubs series, the White Sox need to find some help for catcher and the left side of the infield.

Soto will not play more than Flowers as the pitchers very comfortable throwing to Flowers.

QUOTE (BigFinn @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 09:36 PM)

OPS+ Player

Starters

136 Jose Abreu

103 Adam LaRoche

101 Avisail Garcia

99 Adam Eaton

90 Tyler Flowers

86 Melky Cabrera

82 Conor Gillaspie

64 Gordon Beckham

56 Alexei Ramirez

31 Carlos Sanchez

Bench

97 Geovanny Soto

94 JB Son Beckham

83 Micah Johnson

55 Tyler Saladino

1 Emilio Bonifacio

Based on that data, they need help at LF more than catcher. And I agree with the data - Sox could use a quality OF.

I wouldn't give up Flowers' pitch framing for those few OPS points.

The problem is Cabrera's not going anywhere...is one of our best hitters now...and we do need to see what Avi can do for the remainder of the season.

Right now, things aren't too optimistic on the Garcia front. You need a lot more than 15 homers and 60-65 rbi's out of that position with what 3b SS and 2b are producing.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 09:11 PM)
The 4 game series at home against KC after the ASB should give the Sox one last chance to show they can do better within the division since that will probably be the key to moving up in the standings .

Exactly. If KC wins 3 or 4 I'd expect the Sox to act immediately ... finally in terms of trade(s).

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 10:49 PM)
don't expect as much of a return this year. He only has 1/2 a year for the next team.

We should have traded him 3 weeks ago. The fact he has only 1/2 a year or less is the Sox's fault. With our luck, they'll go 2-2 against KC somehow and think they're in the WC race. Actually there's no way they can split with KC so it'll be interesting to see what happens after the 1-3 or 0-4 series.

QUOTE (jdupps @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 11:28 PM)
I expect the SOX to stand pat until July 27th. By that time the KC,STL, and Clev series should make it pretty clear whether they have a shot this year or not. They will plan for both buying or selling during the next couple weeks.

They are waiting too long if they wait for all 3 series. I guess if they split with KC they could be forgiven by most fans for staying pat a little longer, but I want action.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 12:10 AM)
What they should do is sell high on Shark before Friday.

What they will do is overpay for a dead veteran.

I think you are right. Like one poster said the offense is too lousy to be a WC contender. I have a sneaky feeling Saladino is not more than a .200 MLB hitter just like our second baseman.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Condor13 @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 05:47 AM)
I'd hope they trade Q for a solid young 3B and resign Shark

with all due respect, i know you said hope, i disagree with your idea. Q has still put up good numbers, yeah he has been snake bitten by some horrible luck. Shark, is going the fa rt, no matter what is said and done. unless the sox comes up with a 25 + mil offer, he is not resigning.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 05:42 AM)
The problem is Cabrera's not going anywhere...is one of our best hitters now...and we do need to see what Avi can do for the remainder of the season.

Right now, things aren't too optimistic on the Garcia front. You need a lot more than 15 homers and 60-65 rbi's out of that position with what 3b SS and 2b are producing.

problem for me, at least with Avi, i think he is really not hurting the team. i keeping looking at the age factor, his stats, 270+ 4hr and 70+ hits. i think that is ok, esp for some one as young as him. i expect that he will get better in future yrs. in another 30+ games he would be over the 100 hits for a season and his K's will be there as well. but it not like he is getting overwhelm by the pitchers.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 01:39 AM)
Exactly. If KC wins 3 or 4 I'd expect the Sox to act immediately ... finally in terms of trade(s).

We should have traded him 3 weeks ago. The fact he has only 1/2 a year or less is the Sox's fault. With our luck, they'll go 2-2 against KC somehow and think they're in the WC race. Actually there's no way they can split with KC so it'll be interesting to see what happens after the 1-3 or 0-4 series.

They are waiting too long if they wait for all 3 series. I guess if they split with KC they could be forgiven by most fans for staying pat a little longer, but I want action.

I think you are right. Like one poster said the offense is too lousy to be a WC contender. I have a sneaky feeling Saladino is not more than a .200 MLB hitter just like our second baseman.

Teams weren't looking to trade at that point. Teams were and still are trying to decide if they are in it and how much that want to trade for it. Was any team making trades at that point? Even if they did try to trade him, the point is still the same. He is a free agent at the end of the year and the Sox will not get as much for him.

You are just going out of your way to tear apart anything they do or don't do. Action for the sake of action generally leads to poor long term solutions.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 07:37 PM)
Hamels and Cueto are the only better pitching options out there. Although a team trading for Shark only gets him for two months, it is a seller's market. Got to take advantage of that.

Dump LaRoche simply to shed the salary for next year. Rather see the DH spot filled by a group of guys who can play multiple spots. Melky on occasion. Or Avi. Even Micah Johnson.

Might be able to get something for Petricka or Putnam.

And get Gillaspie out of town ASAP.

That is my thought, too. Micah at DH. Keeps Sanchez at second where he can improve as a hitter and gives Micah the PA's he needs.

QUOTE (Condor13 @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 01:47 AM)
I'd hope they trade Q for a solid young 3B and resign Shark

There is no way that you trade one of the top 20 pitchers in baseball for a 3B. Q could bring a solid young prime position player SS-C-CF + 1-2 other prospects.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 12:31 PM)
Teams weren't looking to trade at that point. Teams were and still are trying to decide if they are in it and how much that want to trade for it. Was any team making trades at that point? Even if they did try to trade him, the point is still the same. He is a free agent at the end of the year and the Sox will not get as much for him.

You are just going out of your way to tear apart anything they do or don't do. Action for the sake of action generally leads to poor long term solutions.

furthermore, some teams have already put their fore sale sign. yet no majjor pitchers have been traded.

i don't know, nor do i have any inside info some my point is purely hypothetical, but i think some teams who might trade are waiting for some teams who has or would put out some players they need.

if they are going to trade shark, now is the time.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 01:14 PM)
That is my thought, too. Micah at DH. Keeps Sanchez at second where he can improve as a hitter and gives Micah the PA's he needs.

the DH position has always been for power hitters. so using Micah as DH, i just don't know.

actually seeing how great this rotation is with Sale, Q as the ones that will stay. the sox added shark and this rotation look great, as i am talking about the top 3.

now with the possibility of shark either getting traded or loosing him thru FA's, Rodon will step in as a 3rd. he still needs to develop.

this system looks great..... add a young Fulmer later. i can see the rotation doing wonders in the future.

now look at what the sox has developing in the minors for the #5 and on.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 09:26 AM)
actually seeing how great this rotation is with Sale, Q as the ones that will stay. the sox added shark and this rotation look great, as i am talking about the top 3.

now with the possibility of shark either getting traded or loosing him thru FA's, Rodon will step in as a 3rd. he still needs to develop.

this system looks great..... add a young Fulmer later. i can see the rotation doing wonders in the future.

now look at what the sox has developing in the minors for the #5 and on.

...And sign Buehrle in the offseason.

QUOTE (coco1997 @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 09:31 AM)

I was actually thinking about a possible homecoming for Buerhle today. Unfortanately, with Danks apart of this rotation next season, I really don't see this occurring. This is a shame because the fan base would LOVE this move.

QUOTE (coco1997 @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 02:31 PM)

and why not, i would love for hm to come back. i can see, at least wishful hoping, he comes back on a team fav salary.

danks and his contract is unmovable. the only way, not being in the pro ranks is to utilize him in a least damaging way for the team.

how??? i don't know, the smarter people will need to figure that out.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 05:49 PM)
don't expect as much of a return this year. He only has 1/2 a year for the next team. Also, the players traded may have been MLB ready but they had serious flaws. They weren't really highly regarded prospects.

I totally agree. I think many overestimate the return Shark would bring based on what the Cubs got under vastly different circumstances.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 09:48 AM)
I totally agree. I think many overestimate the return Shark would bring based on what the Cubs got under vastly different circumstances.

The return for Shark needs to be better than the compensation pick they will get for him if they offer him a QO. Plain and simple. Being that those type of picks are fringy top 100 players (especially in a draft that is said to be deep with talent), you are looking for a top 100 prospect coming back for Samardzija. People thinking that the Sox will sell Samardzija for next to nothing because he is a 2 month rental are kidding themselves. There is a ton of value in that comp pick.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 09:45 AM)
and why not, i would love for hm to come back. i can see, at least wishful hoping, he comes back on a team fav salary.

danks and his contract is unmovable. the only way, not being in the pro ranks is to utilize him in a least damaging way for the team.

how??? i don't know, the smarter people will need to figure that out.

The Sox pretty much have three options this winter for Danks:

#1- Trade him, get little to nothing in return and likely pay at LEAST 50% of his remaining $15,750,000 in 2016.

#2- Put him and his ridiculous contract in the bullpen, similar to what the Giants did with Lincecum.

#3- He remains in the rotation, which pretty much would eliminate a spot for a possible Buerhle return. You CANNOT fill two rotation spots with both Buerhle AND Danks because as of right now you would have: Sale (L), Quintana (L), Rodon (L), Danks (L) and Buerhle (L). I just don't see an ALL lefty rotation in 2016, do you?

Now if management trades Shark AND Q, then there might be a small chance of Buerhle returning even if they cannot move Danks. On a typical younger team, I would rather see some of the prospects in the rotation rather than Danks taking up a key spot. Guys who are getting close to being MLB ready are Frank Montas and Erik Johnson- we need to see them in the rotation soon.