What will Sox front office do ?

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 10:02 AM)
The return for Shark needs to be better than the compensation pick they will get for him if they offer him a QO. Plain and simple. Being that those type of picks are fringy top 100 players (especially in a draft that is said to be deep with talent), you are looking for a top 100 prospect coming back for Samardzija. People thinking that the Sox will sell Samardzija for next to nothing because he is a 2 month rental are kidding themselves. There is a ton of value in that comp pick.

Aren't the comp picks now immediately after the 1st round? Should be more like a #30-40 ranked player then.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sox should do a bit of both. Focus should be on 2016 and 2017 and better positioning the club. They shouldn't be afraid of selling some current assets today a bit (especially pieces who might walk or aren't good fits) while adding to the talent pool, but also, if the right parts are out there, they shouldn't be afraid to buy either. I think we'll be in a unique spot where we sell a couple guys but also get involved as a 3rd team in some trades to try and swap some of our minor league talent for other teams talent changing hands (but maybe as positions we have bigger needs, etc).

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 03:02 PM)
The Sox pretty much have three options this winter for Danks:

#1- Trade him, get little to nothing in return and likely pay at LEAST 50% of his remaining $15,750,000 in 2016.

#2- Put him and his ridiculous contract in the bullpen, similar to what the Giants did with Lincecum.

#3- He remains in the rotation, which pretty much would eliminate a spot for a possible Buerhle return. You CANNOT fill two rotation spots with both Buerhle AND Danks because as of right now you would have: Sale (L), Quintana (L), Rodon (L), Danks (L) and Buerhle (L). I just don't see an ALL lefty rotation in 2016, do you?

Now if management trades Shark AND Q, then there might be a small chance of Buerhle returning even if they cannot move Danks. On a typical younger team, I would rather see some of the prospects in the rotation rather than Danks taking up a key spot. Guys who are getting close to being MLB ready are Frank Montas and Erik Johnson- we need to see them in the rotation soon.

this is on me and i may be totally off based here.

the sox will not do anything with Danks, b/c of, and i am guessing, a deal he made with the danks family.

get rid of your agent, sign with the sox with the 2 brothers and the sox will pay you a nice salary.... pretty much like a Sale contract. however Danks got hurt.

this is the kind of situation that agents will use against signing favorable team contracts.

here is what i been thinking, can the sox go the same route as Keppinger ???

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 03:29 PM)
Sox should do a bit of both. Focus should be on 2016 and 2017 and better positioning the club. They shouldn't be afraid of selling some current assets today a bit (especially pieces who might walk or aren't good fits) while adding to the talent pool, but also, if the right parts are out there, they shouldn't be afraid to buy either. I think we'll be in a unique spot where we sell a couple guys but also get involved as a 3rd team in some trades to try and swap some of our minor league talent for other teams talent changing hands (but maybe as positions we have bigger needs, etc).

i really don't think the sox have a choice..... how will the sox repair the holes they have at SS, 3b for starters.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 06:12 AM)
with all due respect, i know you said hope, i disagree with your idea. Q has still put up good numbers, yeah he has been snake bitten by some horrible luck. Shark, is going the fa rt, no matter what is said and done. unless the sox comes up with a 25 + mil offer, he is not resigning.

I agree - Q fits this team - he's a ground ball pitcher.

Shark doesn't.

I don't think he gets $25 million, though

Move Shark soon - it's a seller's market NOW....but it may not be in 2 weeks.

Get Erik Johnson up here and see what he can do.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 10:03 AM)
Aren't the comp picks now immediately after the 1st round? Should be more like a #30-40 ranked player then.

To reiterate what soxfan2014 said, with teams losing their first round picks due to signing players who received qualifying offers, the comp round is dipping into the late first round now. Furthermore, with the amount of free agents this summer that should be receiving QO's, the Samardzija pick could come in anywhere between the late 20's, early 30's. There is a lot of talent to be had there and the Sox really shouldn't settle for anything less than they could get at that slot.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 11:47 AM)
this is on me and i may be totally off based here.

the sox will not do anything with Danks, b/c of, and i am guessing, a deal he made with the danks family.

get rid of your agent, sign with the sox with the 2 brothers and the sox will pay you a nice salary.... pretty much like a Sale contract. however Danks got hurt.

this is the kind of situation that agents will use against signing favorable team contracts.

here is what i been thinking, can the sox go the same route as Keppinger ???

That's ridiculous. If there was such a deal, then Jordan Danks would still be in AAA. Danks will be gone if anyone wants to pay his salary or the Sox get anything substantial back.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 03:51 PM)
That's ridiculous. If there was such a deal, then Jordan Danks would still be in AAA. Danks will be gone if anyone wants to pay his salary or the Sox get anything substantial back.

and you may be very right .... that is why i wrote that i am guessing. i know that danks gave up bOrAss.... that is why i am thinking of favors being rtn.

that is what i think and i am prob wrong.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 10:29 AM)

Good post! There is a lot of talk on the radio today about the team possibly going for it after this recent 9-3 record. While the defense has been playing better, the offense is still really bad. If you can trade Shark for some MLB ready young players or MLB ready prospects who can hit, you must make the trade! I agree with you in regards to postioning the team for 2016 and 2017. I think if the organization plays their cards right, we can get back into the race as early as next season. However, they MUST address the glaring needs- offensive help at 3b, SS, C and 2b.

One thing the White Sox have done in the past and have failed frequently under KW is that they went into buyer mode at the deadline rather than selling off guys for minor league talent. For some reason, the organization seems to be afraid to sell high on players. I truly believe they messed up badly not dealing Alexie Ramirez when they had the chance this winter. They also could have sold high on Carlos Quentin back in the day. The team is in no position to be delusional. They will not win a wildcard in 2015- they MUST focus on 2016 by selling high on Shark.

Edited by GreatScott82

I also like Chisoxfn's thoughts on swapping minor leaguers. Lets say a team is loaded with offensive prospects but is desperate for pitching prospects, this is the White Sox strength so it would be an ideal match for a necessary transaction to readjust the farm.

Edited by GreatScott82

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 2h2 hours ago

Just wondering if Frank Montas will be the 26th man added by the White Sox for Friday's doubleheader with the Royals.

Purely a guess on my part but White Sox, while still feeling in playoff contention, also starting to infuse their prospects to Majors

Before David Robertson was added, there was some talk that Montas could figure into White Sox closer equation this season.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 10:50 AM)
I agree - Q fits this team - he's a ground ball pitcher.

Shark doesn't.

I don't think he gets $25 million, though

Move Shark soon - it's a seller's market NOW....but it may not be in 2 weeks.

Get Erik Johnson up here and see what he can do.

It is going to be a seller's market regardless. The Sox will hold onto Shark for at least another week. Patience, lad. If the Sox don't get what they want for Shark anyways, he won't be traded and they'll grab a pick in the 30s.

I would have liked the looks of things a lot better if we were 2 under going into the ASB, but go take 3/4 from KC to start the 2nd half and let's see revisit in late July. The Sox play to win.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 10:51 AM)
To reiterate what soxfan2014 said, with teams losing their first round picks due to signing players who received qualifying offers, the comp round is dipping into the late first round now. Furthermore, with the amount of free agents this summer that should be receiving QO's, the Samardzija pick could come in anywhere between the late 20's, early 30's. There is a lot of talent to be had there and the Sox really shouldn't settle for anything less than they could get at that slot.

Don't worry, they wont.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 06:33 PM)

Just wondering if Frank Montas will be the 26th man added by the White Sox for Friday's doubleheader with the Royals.

Purely a guess on my part but White Sox, while still feeling in playoff contention, also starting to infuse their prospects to Majors

Before David Robertson was added, there was some talk that Montas could figure into White Sox closer equation this season.

i think it might eric johnson. or carolll

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 06:46 PM)
Hahn's been very clear on the importance of depth to a contender. He's made comments about adding enough depth to be in the position they want in 2016. Surely that means guys like Anderson, Fulmer, Montas, etc. graduating but I am sure acting like a contender isn't going to help in the ways of adding depth. To me, moving Samardzija for an about ready position player + is a much smarter move than holding tight and hoping the offense is anything more than anemic.

you make a very good point.

if and i do mean if shark is traded. i can see EJ coming up, might as well see if he can do it.

second, i thinking they may not want to start the clock on montas or any other player.

just my thoughts.

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 04:18 AM)
I think they should sell. We've seen this movie, there isn't a second half comeback. Sell off Shark, LaRoche, Cabrera, Ramirez, Robertson, anyone who isn't the obvious (sale, q, eaton, rodon, etc.).

Exactly. We have seen this movie and I love your post. TRADE 'em all.

Selling just to sell is dumb.

Better to see if Alexei has anything left...because replacing him via trade or free agency wont be easy.

Obviously, I mean the player who at least showed up defensively this past weekend. Offensively, who knows?

LaRoche and Cabrera aren't going anywhere...and they can't deal Robertson until they see what Montas can provide.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 12:33 PM)

Montas just got exposed in the Futures Game. Throws 100 MPH with no movement and unreliable secondary pitch.

He needs more work.

Johnson is the candidate, after Bonifacio is DFAd

As for depth, Hahn just dealt 3 roster guys to rent one player for 1 year.

Frankly, I want to see Saladino and Micah up the rest of the year. Neither is really the 3B of the future, but they could be 2B. See if Sanchez can play SS as well as he can 2B.

Saladino had some good swings over the weekend. Even Sanchez is waking up, albeit slowly.

If someone wants Laroche's salary and give a B prospect, send him on his way.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 01:18 PM)
Montas just got exposed in the Futures Game. Throws 100 MPH with no movement and unreliable secondary pitch.

He needs more work.

Johnson is the candidate, after Bonifacio is DFAd

As for depth, Hahn just dealt 3 roster guys to rent one player for 1 year.

Frankly, I want to see Saladino and Micah up the rest of the year. Neither is really the 3B of the future, but they could be 2B. See if Sanchez can play SS as well as he can 2B.

Saladino had some good swings over the weekend. Even Sanchez is waking up, albeit slowly.

If someone wants Laroche's salary and give a B prospect, send him on his way.

interesting post. i will respond to one though. i never like the trade, but i saw the reasoning of it. i can't fault it, i actually enjoy the thrill of seeing Shark in action in a sox uni and i will always remember and think, what if the sox offense would have clicked.

oh that didn't happen. but again, the thought process was there.