Iranian Nuclear Deal

StrangeSox

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Oct 14, 2015 -> 05:59 PM)
Yes, I know that. We should just keep it as payment for putting up with their s*** and for breaking the agreement already. Where are these provisions for if (when!) they break the agreement? This admin supposedly negotiated in good faith, and the negotiating partners pretty much just gave Obama a big F U and decided to do whatever they want. Why? because they know we won't do anything. ANYTHING. Why negotiate at all if you are just going to let them do whatever they want? Why the pretense of an agreement? Keep the money. f*** them.

Of course, you know you're being dishonest at the very least because the "nuclear weapons deal" does not cover development of missile technology. It is specifically designed to deal with the huge problem of nuclear weapons. Those launches are in violation of UN security council resolutions, but they are not in violation of any part of the nuclear deal. So they're not "breaking the agreement already", you're deliberately switching the topic and I'm betting you know that.

It's not worth invading Iran because they receive money freed up from the removal of sanctions related to their nuclear program (notably not all the sanctions on them). It's not worth invading Iran because they have ballistic missile technology they're not using. It's worth invading Iran if they're developing a nuclear weapon. They know that, you know that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 15, 2015 -> 12:26 AM)
Of course, you know you're being dishonest at the very least because the "nuclear weapons deal" does not cover development of missile technology. It is specifically designed to deal with the huge problem of nuclear weapons. Those launches are in violation of UN security council resolutions, but they are not in violation of any part of the nuclear deal. So they're not "breaking the agreement already", you're deliberately switching the topic and I'm betting you know that.

It's not worth invading Iran because they receive money freed up from the removal of sanctions related to their nuclear program (notably not all the sanctions on them). It's not worth invading Iran because they have ballistic missile technology they're not using. It's worth invading Iran if they're developing a nuclear weapon. They know that, you know that.

but the big question is will the avg american would be willing to have a war again in the middle east??

i think the avg american would rather hide their head in sand and pretend not to look at Iran.

it is going to be a big sell to convince the americans that it is a must thing to do.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Trump's pre-hyping this announcement means he's definitely going to scrap the deal, giving Iran every incentive to spin their nuclear program back up.

edit: and every other country no reason to trust our diplomacy and international agreements since there's always the chance we elect another idiot reality TV conman who will torpedo everything out of spite and stupidity

Edited by StrangeSox

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 5, 2017 -> 01:58 PM)
I basically hope that he says we are withdrawing in name only.

We're not immediately restarting sanctions, but it's being kicked back to congress to be "fixed." Congress will almost definitely do nothing, and Iran has made it very clear directly and through the other members to the agreement that they are not open to renegotiation.

I dunno, hopefully Congress isn't short-sighted enough to actually reimpose sanctions and Iran remains in compliance with the rest of the countries. This isn't even certifying the deal because Iran broke their end of the bargain. There's zero reason for them to trust the US now and, after seeing NK's path, every incentive to get the big "I dare you to invade us at the cost of millions of your allies dead in an hour" weapon.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 5, 2017 -> 01:58 PM)
I basically hope that he says we are withdrawing in name only.

Politico has a piece that says this is, essentially, what will happen.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/03/t...ear-deal-243427

Basically, Trump decertifies and s*** talks Obama and vows a "strong foreign policy." Meanwhile, Mattis and Tillerson encourage the Senate to NOT reinstate sanctions, offering assurances that more pressure would be applied to Iran outside of the Deal. The thinking is to preserve the deal and, more importantly, our influence with Europe while giving Trump his chance to stick it to Obama.

I'm not confident this strategy will succeed long term, but for now, the Iran Deal itself "probably" isn't going away quite yet. America's reputation, power and influence is shot beyond repair no matter how this farce plays out though.

I don't even think we're deeming them not in compliance or claiming they violated it in any way. We're just unilaterally walking away from the agreement to renegotiate because Trump.

Which is in many ways even worse because it says that there's no reason to trust US negotiations to be meaningful and lasting, so why bother. See also: TPP, Paris.

• 6 months later...

Once and for all can we just pick up our toys, go home, and stop playing in the Middle East.  These problems will never be solved until one side is completely obliterated.  Stop wasting lives and money on an unsolvable problem.

9 hours ago, raBBit said:

What? We don't side with Israel because of Jesus we side with Israel on everything because Congress is corrupt and influenced. 

Both are true. Have you ever been to a Christian Evangelical church? I have. The amount of love for Israel is scary. According to the preacher, Israel must be protected at any cost and they can do no wrong. Why? Because Jesus is coming. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

On 5/10/2018 at 10:56 PM, Jack Parkman said:

Both are true. Have you ever been to a Christian Evangelical church? I have. The amount of love for Israel is scary. According to the preacher, Israel must be protected at any cost and they can do no wrong. Why? Because Jesus is coming.