Why Micah Johnson should not be moved to the outfield

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great article. He can't be moved to the outfield for all the reasons you suggested. It's interesting how Micah has gone from being a savior type (Hawk's hype last year) to somebody considered laughably bad defensively and not even much of a hitter on the big league level. A month or so of big-league ball took the luster off Micah. Does anybody actually expect anything from him now? His reputation now seems to be a horrific defender with fantastic speed yet limited hitting skills as well.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 02:20 PM)
Great article. He can't be moved to the outfield for all the reasons you suggested. It's interesting how Micah has gone from being a savior type (Hawk's hype last year) to somebody considered laughably bad defensively and not even much of a hitter on the big league level. A month or so of big-league ball took the luster off Micah. Does anybody actually expect anything from him now? His reputation now seems to be a horrific defender with fantastic speed yet limited hitting skills as well.

Reputations mean nothing.

Micah will be a productive major league hitter. He just needs to work on his D, which by all accounts he has. Not sure he is a great fit for the Sox, just because they really need to improve their D, not hurt it, but he'll get another shot.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 08:20 PM)

i can see how you and if anyone else can come away with that feeling. however, i think many who saw the abysmal beginning of the sox will keep that in their mind when judging MJ and the 2nd baseman prospects. i know the sox really didn't help themselves this yr.

all i would say is, he is young, has a great attitude, by all rpts, and he will continue to develop.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 07:13 PM)
I've seen so many people suggest moving Micah Johnson to the outfield, I couldn't take it any more. So I wrote an article on all the reasons why that would be a bad idea.

Read it here.

Then let's hear if you agree or disagree, and why!

real nice article and really in-depth.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 01:20 PM)

He was hitting Ok, and figures to get better, judging by the way he's currently raking in Charlotte. He has a chance to be a plus offensive player.

It's all about getting his defense to a passable or better level.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 10:25 PM)
How is it that Schwarber and Gallo, two players who also aren't very good defenders at their chosen positions, can go out and play some outfield without much problem?

Different strengths and weaknesses. Also, not sure you can say yet that they won't have problems.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 09:25 PM)
How is it that Schwarber and Gallo, two players who also aren't very good defenders at their chosen positions, can go out and play some outfield without much problem?

They can throw. I still like the idea of Micah at DH.

Edited by oldsox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 10:08 PM)
Can he play 3rd?

What are the chances he actually gets his D to acceptable 2B levels?

The guy's raking in AAA

He will have to play second. We are said to have bad defense anyway. I would think if he's close to average anything beats a mlb player batting .150.

QUOTE (sammy esposito @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 07:59 AM)
He will have to play second. We are said to have bad defense anyway. I would think if he's close to average anything beats a mlb player batting .150.

I'm not sure he doesn't beat it if he isn't average. Pitchers/Cooper don't like it, but do they like 2 runs scored a game?

They need to find a spot for him

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 02:18 PM)
I'm not sure he doesn't beat it if he isn't average. Pitchers/Cooper don't like it, but do they like 2 runs scored a game?

They need to find a spot for him

i problem i really see in this is, the sox this yr started abysmally..... so everything that may not have mattered really affected everyone and on top of that, it was magnified. now, get a team hitting like the sox are capable of, for this example, last yr hitting, and then the powers to be will be ok with his defense.

that is my opinion.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 10:08 PM)
Can he play 3rd?

What are the chances he actually gets his D to acceptable 2B levels?

The guy's raking in AAA

One of the key points in the article is that he's got a weak arm. And bad footwork. Does that sounds like a 3B to you?

Micah Johnson hitter of week at Triple-A Charlotte for 7/16-19. On fire since 7/2: 417/.456/.681 w/ 3 HRs, 10 BI, 21 runs, 9 steals.

https://twitter.com/CSNHayes/status/623179570473267200

Since the sox are going to most likely trade shark and know the aren't going to make a run of it then micah needs to be back up to the majors. I know his defense isn't great but the most overall defense has sorta improved for the sox but what he can possibly contribute to the horrendous offense might be more helpful

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

Very happy to see Micah's development in AAA after being sent down. I really cannot take anymore

Carlos Sanchez. He's a great little fielder but he just doesn't have the bat speed to be an everyday player. He has a .214 wOBA which, if he had enough PAs, would be the worst among MLB players. He also had the fifth worst percentage of hard hit balls according to Fangraphs.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 12:15 PM)
Very happy to see Micah's development in AAA after being sent down. I really cannot take anymore

Carlos Sanchez. He's a great little fielder but he just doesn't have the bat speed to be an everyday player. He has a .214 wOBA which, if he had enough PAs, would be the worst among MLB players. He also had the fifth worst percentage of hard hit balls according to Fangraphs.

I think we have enough at bats to go around at 3B / SS / 2B if the Sox thought they saw enough in these guys and were ready to acquire someone else at one of those positions depending on how they evaluate everyone based upon their collective minor league careers to date, tools, and of course what they show at the major league level. This of course is dependent on moving Ramirez.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 02:17 PM)
I think we have enough at bats to go around at 3B / SS / 2B if the Sox thought they saw enough in these guys and were ready to acquire someone else at one of those positions depending on how they evaluate everyone based upon their collective minor league careers to date, tools, and of course what they show at the major league level. This of course is dependent on moving Ramirez.

To say the least there are plent of at bats.

If the Sox trade/sign another middle infielder I think I'll choke

I'd like to see them move out all the riff raff now. L Garcia can play the utility infielder.

It's great to hear that Micah is doing better defensively. Hopefully it's good enough to satisfy Cooper soon.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 03:47 PM)
To say the least there are plent of at bats.

If the Sox trade/sign another middle infielder I think I'll choke

I'd like to see them move out all the riff raff now. L Garcia can play the utility infielder.

It's great to hear that Micah is doing better defensively. Hopefully it's good enough to satisfy Cooper soon.

I don't get the appeal of Leury. Posted a .399 OPS last year in the majors as a 23-year old, with disappointing defense. For all the flak he gets, Sanchez has an OPS about 80 points higher and on the rise lately, and has shown very good defense - again as a 23 year old. Sanchez' numbers in AAA at 22 and 23 dwarf anything Garcia did at same age and level. Why choose Garcia over Sanchez? Because he can play CF in a pinch? The team has a 4th OF and others as needed. I just don't get it.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 03:58 PM)
I don't get the appeal of Leury. Posted a .399 OPS last year in the majors as a 23-year old, with disappointing defense. For all the flak he gets, Sanchez has an OPS about 80 points higher and on the rise lately, and has shown very good defense - again as a 23 year old. Sanchez' numbers in AAA at 22 and 23 dwarf anything Garcia did at same age and level. Why choose Garcia over Sanchez? Because he can play CF in a pinch? The team has a 4th OF and others as needed. I just don't get it.

I wasn't choosing Garcia over Sanchez.... if the Sox can clear the vets out of the middle infield someone has top play short, so I picked Sanchez (he has played short, hasn't he?). No one else can play 3rd but Saladino, although the Sox really need a better bat there long term.

As for Garcia, he's the only one left for utility and I don't see him as any worse than what's there now. Maybe they can keep Beckham and leave Leury in the minors.

Regardless, if Micah straightened out his D some, bring him up.

Edited by GreenSox