Why Micah Johnson should not be moved to the outfield

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 02:24 PM)
Move Alexei.

Sanchez takes over SS for the year. Possibly shares it with Saladino.

Micah takes over 2b.

Sanchez moves into either SS or Utility Player role depending on whether you think it's worth it to spend a bit of money on the SS position in the offseason.

Johnson works in as your 2b, Saladino and Sanchez see what they can do in a season along with maybe a stopgap, and then whoever is the weaker of the 2 gets out of Tim Anderson's way in 2017 and we see if we can actually produce a decent top of the order/middle infield pair.

And then maybe you also find a 3b candidate in a trade this year on top of that.

The problem I have with this approach is that it puts fringy defenders at all the IF positions, which is part of the problem with the ML roster this season. Sanchez at 2B is high end defender, but fringy at SS. Johnson is definitely below average in the IF, but could be at least average in the OF. Saladino can play well enough to cover any position at a super utility guy and perhaps can handle 3rd, but has not really put enough work in there to make that determination. Anderson is going to be another guy that is a fringe player at SS, but if the Sox move him off now and get him some work at 3B, CF or RF he has tools to be above average to elite at either of those spots. I think the approach in trading at the deadline this year should be to get a strong gloved SS that can come in and take over for Alexei and solidify the IF defense for next season.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 12:38 PM)
The problem I have with this approach is that it puts fringy defenders at all the IF positions, which is part of the problem with the ML roster this season. Sanchez at 2B is high end defender, but fringy at SS. Johnson is definitely below average in the IF, but could be at least average in the OF. Saladino can play well enough to cover any position at a super utility guy and perhaps can handle 3rd, but has not really put enough work in there to make that determination. Anderson is going to be another guy that is a fringe player at SS, but if the Sox move him off now and get him some work at 3B, CF or RF he has tools to be above average to elite at either of those spots. I think the approach in trading at the deadline this year should be to get a strong gloved SS that can come in and take over for Alexei and solidify the IF defense for next season.

Please read thread title.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 01:31 PM)
Yes, and as I said in my previous I post I disagree with that argument.

What are your reasons? I wrote that piece and listed all the factors I could think of. I see literally no reason to believe he'd be a good OF, other than speed. But I am open to discussion - what makes you think he'd be good out there?

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 01:34 PM)
What are your reasons? I wrote that piece and listed all the factors I could think of. I see literally no reason to believe he'd be a good OF, other than speed. But I am open to discussion - what makes you think he'd be good out there?

Playing the OF is much easier than playing 2B, especially LF where there isn't as great of a need to have a strong arm. We have seen a lot of guys with poor arms and good speed be ML caliber OF's Podsednik, Pierre, and Crawford as examples.

I am not sure what the point at keeping him at position he cannot play long term is. He doesn't have the offense capability of Dan Uggla had to warrant having him as a defensive liability in the IF. There is no reason to think he would not be at least as competent at LF as anyone in the system. The Sox need to get away from the philosophy of playing subpar defenders at positions and work on finding better defensive homes for their players, and that would probably include starting to work Tim Anderson out in CF.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Aug 11, 2015 -> 03:46 PM)
Playing the OF is much easier than playing 2B, especially LF where there isn't as great of a need to have a strong arm. We have seen a lot of guys with poor arms and good speed be ML caliber OF's Podsednik, Pierre, and Crawford as examples.

I am not sure what the point at keeping him at position he cannot play long term is. He doesn't have the offense capability of Dan Uggla had to warrant having him as a defensive liability in the IF. There is no reason to think he would not be at least as competent at LF as anyone in the system. The Sox need to get away from the philosophy of playing subpar defenders at positions and work on finding better defensive homes for their players, and that would probably include starting to work Tim Anderson out in CF.

I can turn your words around and use "The Sox need to get away from the philosophy of playing subpar defenders at positions" as an argument for why they shouldn't be moving people around as often as they do and instead stick with guys and let them learn a single position.