Geovany Soto

Dunt

Is there a legitimate reason that Flowers deserves more playing time than him at this point? Soto has a better AVG, OBP, SLG%, BB%, wRC+, and his defensive metrics have been better all season. What has Flowers done to deserve the nod over Soto? If Sale likes throwing to him so much, then fine, keep him around in some David Ross capacity. For a team so offensively starved though, it would seem to make a lot of sense having him in the lineup regularly between catcher and DH.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only things that make sense is that the pitchers like throwing to Flowers more like we know Sale does, and/or Soto isn't healthy enough to handle an everyday workload. He's been far superior in every aspect basically, and is only slightly behind Tyler in pitch framing this year.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 10:58 AM)
In roughly 200 less AB, Soto has been worth 0.2 less WAR than Salvador Perez, a catcher that many around the league consider one of the best. Just doesnt make sense to me.

I agree. I think he is a better option at C - hitting-wise. I know Sale loves Flowers, so maybe only start Flowers with Sale.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 03:59 PM)
The only things that make sense is that the pitchers like throwing to Flowers more like we know Sale does, and/or Soto isn't healthy enough to handle an everyday workload. He's been far superior in every aspect basically, and is only slightly behind Tyler in pitch framing this year.

considering there is only 2 catchers on this team.... sorry. i just couldn't help it.

Edited by LDF

but as someone said, the pitchers like throwing to flowers, and that has to be taken into consideration. but that doesn't mean the sox should stop from improving the position. and have flowers to a mentor ship.

Edited by LDF

I'm not sure Soto keeps being this good, especially as a full timer. My personal view is, they should trade him while he's hot. Let Flowers and either Kottaras or Smith split time the rest of the season in the backup slot, giving you a look at Smith in the meantime. 2016 is another animal.

Soto is a FA after this year anyway, so you can still re-sign him for next year if you want to. Might as well get some value for him while you are out of the playoff picture.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 03:55 PM)
Is there a legitimate reason that Flowers deserves more playing time than him at this point? Soto has a better AVG, OBP, SLG%, BB%, wRC+, and his defensive metrics have been better all season. What has Flowers done to deserve the nod over Soto? If Sale likes throwing to him so much, then fine, keep him around in some David Ross capacity. For a team so offensively starved though, it would seem to make a lot of sense having him in the lineup regularly between catcher and DH.

Combine the homers of Flowers and Soto and it shows the platoon is decent. Obviously we would like more but just handing a player the starting job based on a homerun every few games is a recipe for failure

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 11:18 AM)
that will never be. considering what there are paying adam laroche.....

True.

But it's a sunk cost, and is irrelevant under logical financial thinking, but with the White Sox, it never is. See Beckham and Bonifacio.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 04:25 PM)
True.

But it's a sunk cost, and is irrelevant under logical financial thinking, but with the White Sox, it never is. See Beckham and Bonifacio.

yeah that part drives me crazy.... the illogical moves they do and claim it is for the betterment of the team.

Disclaimer: Don't read if you don't want the game ruined for you when Soto is catching...

Has anybody ever noticed how he throws the ball back to the pitcher?? It's so uncoordinated. He pushes off the wrong knee. It's one of those things that you dont notice, but when you do, you can't un-notice and becomes extremely annoying..

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 02:10 PM)
Disclaimer: Don't read if you don't want the game ruined for you when Soto is catching...

Has anybody ever noticed how he throws the ball back to the pitcher?? It's so uncoordinated. He pushes off the wrong knee. It's one of those things that you dont notice, but when you do, you can't un-notice and becomes extremely annoying..

No nobody has ever noticed!

I'm sorry, it's been pointed out numerous times, beat to death really.

Fact is the guy is the best catcher the Sox have and he plays not nearly enough. I don't care if he walks the ball back the mound.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 12:38 PM)
No nobody has ever noticed!

I'm sorry, it's been pointed out numerous times, beat to death really.

Fact is the guy is the best catcher the Sox have and he plays not nearly enough. I don't care if he walks the ball back the mound.

Play LaRoche against lefties, don't play Soto nearly enough, keep Bonifacio . It's like management wants the Sox to lose. I don't give a rats ass if Sale likes Flowers . Does anyone think Flowers will be the only guy catching Sale for his whole career ? Sale will be Sale regardless of who is catching him. I'm not saying play Soto all the time but DH him against lefties , split the catching duties equally. It's really so simple and apparent but the team just keeps defying logic with personnel decisions.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 02:43 PM)
Does it really matter? Soto blows as does Tyler. Both are good enough to contribute a bit and hit a homer now and then. It's not like Soto is good; he's OK. And believe it or not Tyler is OK.

Why does everyone keep saying this? What are you people seeing?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 03:43 PM)
Does it really matter? Soto blows as does Tyler. Both are good enough to contribute a bit and hit a homer now and then. It's not like Soto is good; he's OK. And believe it or not Tyler is OK.

Average AL Catcher OPS: .669

Soto's OPS: .761

He's almost 100 points above league average, and he's rated as a pretty good pitch framer this year as well. He can't throw out runners and has some trouble with passed balls, but so does Flowers. I'd hardly say he blows.