Geovany Soto

Dunt

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 04:14 PM)
Average AL Catcher OPS: .669

Soto's OPS: .761

He's almost 100 points above league average, and he's rated as a pretty good pitch framer this year as well. He can't throw out runners and has some trouble with passed balls, but so does Flowers. I'd hardly say he blows.

Consider the source. He's a clueless blowhard.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 04:31 PM)
Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 1m1 minute ago

Ventura on Soto: "He’s been in there more and more. The way he’s swung it has been pretty good. He’s going to get more time."

Soto beating Flowers numbers has White Sox catchers up to an OPS of .677, good enough for 14th in MLB. That is the best ranking out of 30 that the Sox have for any position.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 04:31 PM)
Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 1m1 minute ago

Ventura on Soto: "He’s been in there more and more. The way he’s swung it has been pretty good. He’s going to get more time."

Lol, Ventura finally realizes Soto is the better catcher a week before he'll probably be traded.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 07:26 PM)
Very true, but I still think Soto could handle a larger workload. And apparently so does Robin, although it's too late in the game for that to make a difference.

Maybe he goes with Shark since he is his personal catcher. But Soto slowly but surelynhas been playing more. I just don't think it will be th full load unless Flowers gets hurt.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 08:48 PM)
Maybe he goes with Shark since he is his personal catcher. But Soto slowly but surelynhas been playing more. I just don't think it will be th full load unless Flowers gets hurt.

Well that might make sense but not for Toronto.

Going to keep beating this drum. If the Sox think they are going to get back in it this week, Soto should be getting playing time at C and DH. No way around it. LaRoche and Flowers are currently two weakest links on the team.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 08:21 AM)
Going to keep beating this drum. If the Sox think they are going to get back in it this week, Soto should be getting playing time at C and DH. No way around it. LaRoche and Flowers are currently two weakest links on the team.

Avi too.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 01:21 PM)

and while you are correct, the sox fo will not sit adam l , b/c of his contract.

Flowers has certainly played about as badly as humanly possible, at least at the plate, for the past 2 or 3 weeks. Soto has been gradually getting more time and it's fair to keep ramping it up. Is anyone aware of whether there's a health concern keeping him from an everyday role?

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 09:09 AM)
Flowers has certainly played about as badly as humanly possible, at least at the plate, for the past 2 or 3 weeks. Soto has been gradually getting more time and it's fair to keep ramping it up. Is anyone aware of whether there's a health concern keeping him from an everyday role?

Ever since his rookie year, I'm pretty sure he just hasn't been able to start daily due to durability issues, just like Quintana always falls after ~150 innings, Rose can't play a full season, etc.

P.S.- did you know Tyler Flowers' name is actually Cole? Just found that out.

At this point, Geo should be starting as much as he can take. If he can take all starters besides Sale, great. Maybe give Tyler one more start a week, but Geo gives the Sox a much better chance to win.

Would also like to see Emilo DFA'd or traded for a bag of balls immediately and call up Micah to DH a few days a week, or maybe better yet, DL LaRoche so Micah can DH everyday. Time to try go for this thing. It is really do or die time.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 08:38 AM)
At this point, Geo should be starting as much as he can take. If he can take all starters besides Sale, great. Maybe give Tyler one more start a week, but Geo gives the Sox a much better chance to win.

Would also like to see Emilo DFA'd or traded for a bag of balls immediately and call up Micah to DH a few days a week, or maybe better yet, DL LaRoche so Micah can DH everyday. Time to try go for this thing. It is really do or die time.

I heartily endorse this.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 07:09 AM)

I was really surprised he wasn't given the start yesterday after a night game saturday

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 02:21 PM)

You guys act like Geo is Johnny Bench revisited. He's just another guy. Flowers isn't the problem with this team. How many games did he catch in the Cleveland series? Last I looked we won all 4 games in that series.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 02:30 PM)
You guys act like Geo is Johnny Bench revisited. He's just another guy. Flowers isn't the problem with this team. How many games did he catch in the Cleveland series? Last I looked we won all 4 games in that series.

There's so much bulls*** in that entire section I dont even know where to start.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 01:32 PM)
There's so much bulls*** in that entire section I dont even know where to start.

You said it best Baron, but I will try.

Greg, baseball, for as much as you comment on it, is something you spend a fair amount of time watching, I'm going to assume. Then you know that games are frequently, commonly, decided by the smallest of factors - the 42 that Hawk talks about, knowing that you're going to win 60 and lose 60 of the rest. You seem to want to throw up your hands in hopelessness at the hands of the Mighty Royals or take comfort in "we suck" platitudes whenever incremental improvements are discussed. Literally no one here is confusing Soto with anyone good, let alone Bench. But most of Soto's suckage is on the defensive side, which makes him nice for the DH.

It's a game of increments. Our offense is woeful, yes, and Soto vs. LaRoche will not make a huge positive difference, more than likely. But Soto is hitting better overall, and about 400 OPS points better against LHP over the past few years. This is a game of every little bit helps, and our not-so-daunting-despite-a-season-of-suckage-deficit tells me a few little bits could make a big difference.

LaRoche isn't doing his future value any favors having his woeful performance vs. LHP drag down his numbers, so I seriously doubt that the Sox feel compelled to play him everyday - more likely, some veteran/respect stupidity rearing its ugly head, imo. Just one more thing that needs a purgin'

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 09:53 PM)
You said it best Baron, but I will try.

Greg, baseball, for as much as you comment on it, is something you spend a fair amount of time watching, I'm going to assume. Then you know that games are frequently, commonly, decided by the smallest of factors - the 42 that Hawk talks about, knowing that you're going to win 60 and lose 60 of the rest. You seem to want to throw up your hands in hopelessness at the hands of the Mighty Royals or take comfort in "we suck" platitudes whenever incremental improvements are discussed. Literally no one here is confusing Soto with anyone good, let alone Bench. But most of Soto's suckage is on the defensive side, which makes him nice for the DH.

It's a game of increments. Our offense is woeful, yes, and Soto vs. LaRoche will not make a huge positive difference, more than likely. But Soto is hitting better overall, and about 400 OPS points better against LHP over the past few years. This is a game of every little bit helps, and our not-so-daunting-despite-a-season-of-suckage-deficit tells me a few little bits could make a big difference.

LaRoche isn't doing his future value any favors having his woeful performance vs. LHP drag down his numbers, so I seriously doubt that the Sox feel compelled to play him everyday - more likely, some veteran/respect stupidity rearing its ugly head, imo. Just one more thing that needs a purgin'

Makes sense again. I thought you all wanted Soto to take Flowers' at bats. I wouldn't be against him taking some of LaRoche's for sure. I despise LaRoche as a player. I still can't believe he hasn't shaved to try to see if that change would help switch his luck.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 01:20 AM)
Makes sense again. I thought you all wanted Soto to take Flowers' at bats. I wouldn't be against him taking some of LaRoche's for sure. I despise LaRoche as a player. I still can't believe he hasn't shaved to try to see if that change would help switch his luck.

He should take some of TFlow's AB's , and probably a few more than he has, but his health is definitely a limiter, and his defense is debatable. He's been very under-utilized as a DH, imo, and they gotta squeeze every run they can out of their lineups.