Official Buyers Thread

Chicago White Sox

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (staxx @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 10:45 PM)
My train of thought as well. I could see Avi, Montas, EJ, and maybe someone like Jaye.

I wouldn't even do that.

Sox don't even need Ross.

And who plays RF next year after trading our RF for this rent of Upton and his mighty .759 OPS.

QUOTE (kwill @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 11:40 PM)
I know everybody is talking about adding another bat but one quick fix would be bring up Erik Johnson up and putting Danks in the pen. Danks will probably not average a 4.50 ERA the rest of the way. Lets see if Johnson can give us something better out of the 5th slot.

That's a good idea.

And bringing up the other Johnson, Micah, needs to be done as well.

We could improve by using what we have. No heroes, though, so many won't be happy.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 11:59 PM)
@jonmorosi: Better chance of Tigers trading Price than White Sox trading Samardzija, as I just said on @FOXSports1 #MLBWhipAround.

Keep in mind that he said it was a guess on Fox Sports1. I dont think either are traded tbh.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 10:59 PM)
Tyler Flowers and Robinson Leyer for AJ.

Why would the Sox want AJ back? As long as Ventura is the manager, AJ won't be on the team. Sox catching situation is fine for now anyway.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/columnis...sharp/30816739/

Article arguing that the Tigers shouldn't be adding, but would be happy to trade Price for Puig if the Dodgers will offer and LA falls short on Cole Hamels.

But this is when team president and general manager Dave Dombrowski must turn brutally honest when confronting Mike Ilitch with the harsh realities. Simply arguing that your team is as pathetic as those stumbling beside you for the final wild-card invitation isn’t a rational justification for tossing more treasure at a failed investment. Don’t fall into this trap: A bad American League team is going to make the playoffs, so why couldn’t that be the Tigers?

For the Tigers, regrouping remains more important — not rebuilding, retooling or any of the many other expressions for concession. It’s more important using the remainder of the 2015 season to give the injured and long inactive, such as Justin Verlander and Bruce Rondon, more time to work through the rust. It’s more important focusing on what aspects of the roster need a full repair, rather than offering trade deadline patchwork options that likely won’t lift the Tigers to a playoff they’re too weak to win anyway.

Someone bad is getting into the playoffs anyway shouldn’t be a rallying cry approaching Friday’s 4 p.m. deadline.

Not sure about the author's conclusion that the Royals will have to trade Hosmer and Moustakas before the end of 2017 because Scott Boras is their agent....seems like wishful thinking.

Right now, nobody's forcing the White Sox to trade Samardzija. If KC's leading the division in 2016 or 2017, they're not going to dump their best players.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 12:57 AM)
Cargo would be good for this team beyond just this year. He might not be the hitter he once was a few years back and he might have health issues, but he's a huge upgrade over Avi.

This I agree with. I want them to take Danks deal back though. Danks, Avisail Garcia, and maybe like Thaddeus Lowry. We'll pay CarGo salary but they pay Danks. Keep Samardzija and call up Erik Johnson to take Danks spot and activate Nate Jones

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 11:57 PM)
Cargo would be good for this team beyond just this year. He might not be the hitter he once was a few years back and he might have health issues, but he's a huge upgrade over Avi.

The question is whether that upgrade is worth $42.3 million...not whether he's the better player, because he clearly is/has been (when he can stay healthy and on the field), and he's also a much better defender, which also carries more and more value than it used to.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 01:01 AM)
The question is whether that upgrade is worth $42.3 million...not whether he's the better player, because he clearly is/has been (when he can stay healthy and on the field), and he's also a much better defender, which also carries more and more value than it used to.

Cargo's wOBA on the road is .332 this year. Not great, but above average. Put him at the Cell and I think he can give us .340. Put that together with decent defense and I think you have yourself a 3 win player provided he's healthy.

At this point, Avi is replacement level. He simply doesn't hit for enough power and doesn't walk enough to become something more than an average hitter at the plate and his defense in RF is pretty bad. Even if he becomes a .350 wOBA guy (I think that can still happen), his defense in RF is still bad. You're basically looking at Jermaine Dye at the end of his career, a 1-2 win player. FWIW, I actually think he can succeed if he does go to Coors, he's hit pretty well there before.

So you're probably looking at a 2-3 win upgrade provided he's healthy (Avi's not a great example of health either). You're also getting him for his age 29, 30, and 31 seasons, so it's not like he's going to be ancient.

Looking at the August schedule, we have a chance. If everything goes right and we continue to hit, we can probably get to 10 over .500 by the start of September. That said, the schedule is not easy by any means. The only poor teams we play are the Mariners and Red Sox (10 of our 28 games). The rest are against possible playoff teams. We've beaten up on two very bad teams the past 6 games, so we really do need to be cautious in terms of buying. Just because we can score on Boston's awful starting pitching and had a couple of decent games in Cleveland doesn't mean we can do this against good teams.

If Shark stays then here is what I would do. Also, I would not be mad if White Sox traded him for a quality return if they feel they can't win a wild card.

1. Put Danks into the pen. Bring up Erik Johnson. If you go for it you should bring up your best players. EJ is probably an upgrade over Danks at this point. They should not DFA Danks just in case Johnson has a similar problem adjusting like 2014.

2. I would do this trade. Spencer Adams, Montas and Garcia for Cargo. I know most people think this is a ton but they also overvalue their own prospects as well. Montas is probably a future closer. It remains to be seen if he will develop the command to pitch in the majors. Adams is the hard piece to let go as he could be a future number 2 in a rotation. That future still is a ways off and things can happen in the few years. The truth is you have 3 pitchers who you plan to have till 2019. If the plan is to sign Shark long term than that leaves one rotation spot. The White Sox would figure to put both Fullmer and Johnson ahead of Montas or Spencer at this point. I would miss Spencer but I just don't see them doing a deal without him in it. Gonzalez would give the Sox something that have not had in awhile which is a left handed bat that can be in the middle of the order. The fact is this team still has a lack of quality position players both on the current roster and minor leagues.

3. I love Carlos Sanchez as I think he really does give you a major league at bat. I believe he could hit .300 one day and is a solid defender. I would consider bringing up Micah but only if you saw positive improvement on the defensive end.

4. Just a general comment. This team will not go anywhere unless Alexi improves his play.

Adams, Montas, & Avi for CarGo would be a ridiculous overpay. That's giving up significantly more than Toronto gave up for Tulo even without taking on Reyes' bloated contract. And just like with Tulo, CarGo's potential suitors will be limited for the many obvious reasons discussed in this thread (expensive, health issues, etc). The whole point of a CarGo trade is he will cost less in talent than the other bats available.

Also, if you're going to trade Adams & Montas, you might as well add another piece or two and do a three way deal where we get Puig, LA gets Hamels, and Philly gets prospects.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 01:00 AM)
This I agree with. I want them to take Danks deal back though. Danks, Avisail Garcia, and maybe like Thaddeus Lowry. We'll pay CarGo salary but they pay Danks. Keep Samardzija and call up Erik Johnson to take Danks spot and activate Nate Jones

Love this idea, just not sure the Rockies would take Danks back without a huge bump in talent. It's one to thing to get Reyes and hope Coors will work its magic. It's another thing to expect Danks to be anything but horrific there. We'd really have to sweeten the pot IMO.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 12:35 AM)
Why would the Sox want AJ back?

Well that's the easiest question ever. He's a lefty, big time of upgrade of a bat at a position that needs one who is already familiar with a good portion of our pitching staff at the cost of nothing. Oh yeah and he'll grab the same amount of much needed local headlines as getting a cargo or Upton at 1/50th of the price. We're still on the verge of being in it, not definitely in it. We're not gonna empty the farm this year for a top bat. Need to start looking at guys who won't cost us anything or well stand pat. AJ applies there.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 05:48 AM)
Well that's the easiest question ever. He's a lefty, big time of upgrade of a bat at a position that needs one who is already familiar with a good portion of our pitching staff at the cost of nothing. Oh yeah and he'll grab the same amount of much needed local headlines as getting a cargo or Upton at 1/50th of the price. We're still on the verge of being in it, not definitely in it. We're not gonna empty the farm this year for a top bat. Need to start looking at guys who won't cost us anything or well stand pat. AJ applies there.

If they do make that move, it means they almost 100% would have to move on from Tyler Flowers for next season.

While we would all probably love to see it happen, still not sure the front office believes that's the right thing to do...it still seems they need to have at least one catcher who can go out there at least 60% of the time, or basically 90-105 games.

They pretty much symbolically moved on from the Buehrle/Konerko/AJ stage at the end of last season.

Alright, I'm now convinced the Sox can make a serious run at the 2nd wild card. If that's indeed the route they go, do you think they should trade for a bat and if so who?

I know it's an unpopular opinion around here, but I really like the idea of CarGo. Allows us to hold onto Quintana, Shark, and most of our top prospects. I think if we take on most of his salary, we could get him for Avi and a lottery ticket prospect.

Carlos Gonzalez has some very gruesome splits. .984 OPS vs RHP, .383 vs LHP. Also, .936 OPS at Coors Field, .755 away from Coors.

If the Sox are going to give up a real prospect for a hitter, let's not make it one with splits that bad. If he's the best option, then just don't add.

Saladino has been a huge upgrade at 3B, Sanchez has better offense to go with his excellent defense, and Melky is on fire. If the Sox can get Garcia and/or LaRoche turned around, it's just like adding bats without actually making any moves.

Right now, being that the overwhelming odds are against the White Sox winning the division, they shouldn't be sending away top prospects for bats unless those bats are going to be around for a while.

I am not a big fan of CarGo. Of course he is hot right now, but he will cool off, and as was stated above, if you don't like LaRoche vs. LHP, you aren't going to like CarGo. Only take CarGo if you give up no top 7 or 8 prospects. For some reason, I don't think the Rockies would go for that.

The Sox as buyers. How crazy of a turnaround is this? I honestly don't think the odds of them playing nearly flawless ball the rest of the way and overtaking four teams are very good, but what's the downside I guess. I just hope whatever they do fits into their plan for 2016 (and '17), when they are more legit contenders. If they're willing to spend serious money this offseason on Heyward, Upton or Gordon, then I'd say stand pat for now. I doubt that's the case though, so I like the idea of exploring trades for CarGo or Puig.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 02:37 PM)
The Sox as buyers. How crazy of a turnaround is this? I honestly don't think the odds of them playing nearly flawless ball the rest of the way and overtaking four teams are very good, but what's the downside I guess. I just hope whatever they do fits into their plan for 2016 (and '17), when they are more legit contenders. If they're willing to spend serious money this offseason on Heyward, Upton or Gordon, then I'd say stand pat for now. I doubt that's the case though, so I like the idea of exploring trades for CarGo or Puig.

the sox FO has said this is a 3-yr plan.... i say stay the course, no matter how tempting it is to make the playoff. to acquire the pieces to fix this team, at least for a temp fix, the team will loose assets. valuable assets that will leave this farm with a hole. this is a tempting position to be in. but a dangerous one.

too bad, the sox never finished the rebuilding in the off season.......

now don't get me wrong, if the sox proves me wrong.... i would be ecstatic and i will cheer hard for a victory in the playoff.