Wild Card Watch 2015

BigHurt3515

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 07:03 AM)
If the Twins finish over .500, I'll be surprised. The road trip to NY, Bal, and TB will be their big test.

The Twins actually lead this thing and are reputed to have a deep farm. They apparently aren't even trying for any pitching help.

If they don't get any help, the competition will be the Orioles and Jays.

Toronto is our major competitor for that last WC spot, alongside with Price they have Buerhle and Dickey who has turned it around in his last 10 or so starts. The last two SP of Estrada and Hutchison aren't special however. We just need to hope this offensive success can be sustained for the rest of the season.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 03:03 AM)
It's a lot better than it was.

And they had a lead on us even with that meh pitching.

And they added Tulo.

Toronto clearly is a Wildcard favorite right now. Sox will have to continue to play amazing baseball to outlast Baltimore and Toronto. I'm not a believer in Minnie. Houston could be a team that completely goes in the tank in Aug/September though.

Toronto is clearly the best team in the hunt for the 2ND Wild Card, and they are going for it, with the acquisitions of Price and Tulo. However, they still need one more pitcher, to go along with the best offense in baseball.

Why not give them Samardzija for one of those middle of the order bats, in their organization? The Jays certainly have enough of them.

I know that both Encarnacion and Bautista have team options for next year, but will be free agents, at the end of next season.

How about this?: Give them Shark for Encarnacion and Pentecost, but they can keep Encarnacion, until the end of the season. Then, after the season, the Jays have to give the Sox Encarnacion, whose $10 Million option would be renewed for one year, and take La Roche. Is that even permissible, under the MLB Collective Bargaining Agreement? I suspect that it is not permitted, or we would see that kind of trade deadline deal, all the time. The selling team, is looking ahead to next season and beyond. They don't care that much about the remainder of the current season.

The Sox would be virtually conceding this year, but would be in good shape for next season, and would have some payroll flexibility to plug another hole, or 2.

At least the Sox would have a middle of the order bat, to protect Abreu, with no big salary commitment.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 07:34 AM)
Toronto is clearly the best team in the hunt for the 2ND Wild Card, and they are going for it, with the acquisitions of Price and Tulo. However, they still need one more pitcher, to go along with the best offense in baseball.

Why not give them Samardzija for one of those middle of the order bats, in their organization? The Jays certainly have enough of them.

I know that both Encarnacion and Bautista have team options for next year, but will be free agents, at the end of next season.

How about this?: Give them Shark for Encarnacion and Pentecost, but they can keep Encarnacion, until the end of the season. Then, after the season, the Jays have to give the Sox Encarnacion, whose $10 Million option would be renewed for one year, and take La Roche. Is that even permissible, under the MLB Collective Bargaining Agreement? I suspect that it is not permitted, or we would see that kind of trade deadline deal, all the time. The selling team, is looking ahead to next season and beyond. They don't care that much about the remainder of the current season.

The Sox would be virtually conceding this year, but would be in good shape for next season, and would have some payroll flexibility to plug another hole, or 2.

At least the Sox would have a middle of the order bat, to protect Abreu, with no big salary commitment.

Jays would laugh.

Whether or not the Sox and Jays would want to agree to such a deal is less interesting to me than the entire concept of trading a player, to be awarded to a team, at the end of the season. Does anyone know if that is permissible? I suspect not, but I'll research it.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 09:30 AM)
Whether or not the Sox and Jays would want to agree to such a deal is less interesting to me than the entire concept of trading a player, to be awarded to a team, at the end of the season. Does anyone know if that is permissible? I suspect not, but I'll research it.

This thread may answer some of your questions.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=96178

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 01:31 PM)
Remaining records in order to win 85 games:

LAA 30-31

Min 32-29

Bal 34-27

Tor 33-26

TB 34-25

Det 35-25

Sox 36-26

Who's getting in? What's the second wildcard win total?

Angels (89 wins) and White Sox (87 wins). Toronto finishes with 86, as they score 8 runs per game but allow 9.