Wild Card Watch 2015

BigHurt3515

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 10, 2015 -> 09:57 AM)
If nothing else, it made baseball fun to watch again for about 10 days.

Yes, it was fun. Since mid-june, I 've found our games at least entertaining baseball.

But, man, it is incredible to me that as of last Sunday, i had thought we may still get a chance at the playoffs, and one week later that's all over. Queue 6 game win streak.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 10, 2015 -> 11:40 AM)
Yes, it was fun. Since mid-june, I 've found our games at least entertaining baseball.

But, man, it is incredible to me that as of last Sunday, i had thought we may still get a chance at the playoffs, and one week later that's all over. Queue 6 game win streak.

With the moves Toronto made (and seeing how hot they are now), even if the Sox were .500 right now, it'd be over.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 10, 2015 -> 02:40 PM)
With the moves Toronto made (and seeing how hot they are now), even if the Sox were .500 right now, it'd be over.

If we were at .500 we'd be ~4 games behind the team we're starting a 3 game series with tonight.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 10, 2015 -> 01:49 PM)
If we were at .500 we'd be ~4 games behind the team we're starting a 3 game series with tonight.

We'd be a lot more optimistic if the White Sox were at .500 and they'd be within a fighter's reach of Toronto. Toronto would be the favorite, but this site would be pointing to the strong pitching staff and the 2nd half surge by the offense as reasons to believe.

I mean, I've essentially given up. I stopped watching games on Friday against the Royals. Yesterday I watched maybe 2-3 innings. Don't take this as serious, but if you want to twist reality, one can reasonably try and get excited for another week to 10 days (Anyway to trick my mind until football season).

With 6 games against the Angels and 3 against the Cubs --- followed by 10 games against the Mariners and BoSox??

Again, this is just to get me to football season, but for the sake of argument, let's go with best case scenario:

We sweep the Angels. 4.5 back. (Regardless of what the teams do ahead of us, Orioles wouldn't be able to overtake Angels)

We play the Cubs -- sometimes catapults a new energy within a team -- let's say we take 2 of 3. Either remain 4.5 back or 3.5 back. Let's split and call it 4 games back. The Angels go to play the Royals over the weekend in a 4 game set. Let's just call them 2-2 that series.

Go to play the Angels - take 3 out of 4. Now we are 2 back -- of the Angels. Baltimore plays SEA, OAK, NYM, MIN over the next 10. They'll probably end up at like 6 games over .500, so 3 back of WC.

Again - this is best case scenario. It'd mean we went 8-2 over the next 10 and would be 60-60 with 13 games coming up against SEA, BOS, and the Twins.

Nothing that I've watched all season .... and that is probably 90 of the games so far leads me to believe this will ever come close to happening... but letting my mind dream for a few more weeks til football.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Aug 11, 2015 -> 10:28 AM)
Again - this is best case scenario. It'd mean we went 8-2 over the next 10 and would be 60-60 with 13 games coming up against SEA, BOS, and the Twins.

You know they'd immediately lose 6 of the next 7 if they went on a stretch like that again.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 11, 2015 -> 12:04 PM)
I really would like to finish at .500, to know we did improve somewhat. But I know that getting top 10 protected pick would help us a lot more. gulp.

We absolutely did improve somewhat.

Just not as much as you'd hope we'd improve with $50 million in new FA spending and trading multiple AAA pieces for a mid-rotation starter.

The real worry might be...if you factor in guys getting older...just to stay in the same place next season we might have to spend a good amount of money or make a similar trade.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 11, 2015 -> 10:04 AM)
I really would like to finish at .500, to know we did improve somewhat. But I know that getting top 10 protected pick would help us a lot more. gulp.

Only if they are willing to risk it on position players.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Aug 11, 2015 -> 09:28 AM)
I mean, I've essentially given up. I stopped watching games on Friday against the Royals. Yesterday I watched maybe 2-3 innings. Don't take this as serious, but if you want to twist reality, one can reasonably try and get excited for another week to 10 days (Anyway to trick my mind until football season).

With 6 games against the Angels and 3 against the Cubs --- followed by 10 games against the Mariners and BoSox??

Again, this is just to get me to football season, but for the sake of argument, let's go with best case scenario:

We sweep the Angels. 4.5 back. (Regardless of what the teams do ahead of us, Orioles wouldn't be able to overtake Angels)

We play the Cubs -- sometimes catapults a new energy within a team -- let's say we take 2 of 3. Either remain 4.5 back or 3.5 back. Let's split and call it 4 games back. The Angels go to play the Royals over the weekend in a 4 game set. Let's just call them 2-2 that series.

Go to play the Angels - take 3 out of 4. Now we are 2 back -- of the Angels. Baltimore plays SEA, OAK, NYM, MIN over the next 10. They'll probably end up at like 6 games over .500, so 3 back of WC.

Nothing that I've watched all season .... and that is probably 90 of the games so far leads me to believe this will ever come close to happening... but letting my mind dream for a few more weeks til football.

Screw football. Still plenty of baseball left; whether the Sox are in contention or not.

I want to see Adam LaRoche hit a walkoff HR against the Cubs, and the Cubs ultimately miss out on the WC by 1 game, creating the irony of making Adam a permanent Sox hero while at the same time being one of the team's worst FA signings ever.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 12, 2015 -> 09:39 AM)
I want to see Adam LaRoche hit a walkoff HR against the Cubs, and the Cubs ultimately miss out on the WC by 1 game, creating the irony of making Adam a permanent Sox hero while at the same time being one of the team's worst FA signings ever.

Would that really make him a permanent Sox hero? If so that'd be pretty lame.

You can tell the excitement and hope in this team has worn off quickly. When we were 4.5 back of the Twins everybody was posting and getting excited. 2 wins, going for the sweep tonight against the Angels and only a few naive hopefuls like me remain. You'd have to think a win tonight, coupled with an Orioles loss (Gausmann going against a pretty hot Iwukama)? With this scenario we'd be:

4.5 back of LAA -- they go on the road, where they've been playing terrible (Last road win is July 12 ..), against the best team in the AL in the Royals.

2.5 back of BAL -- have an easier road, against OAK for a 4 game set this weeekend.

We play the Cubs, and get Hendricks, Arrieta and Haren -- going against Shark, Q, Sale -- our 3 big boys. Let's call 2 of 3.

So let's just play happy land --

Royals take 3 of 4, Baltimore splits, and we take 2 of 3.

Meaning Monday August 17, starting a 4 game set on the road against the LAA:

LAA: 60-57

Baltimore 59-58 (they play the last of their 4 game set on Monday oddly enough)

Sox - 56-59

We'd be 3 games back of the Angels, and 2 games back of the Orioles.

Now is that being over optimistic? Probably, but I don't think its out of the question for this scenario to happen.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Aug 12, 2015 -> 09:56 AM)
Would that really make him a permanent Sox hero? If so that'd be pretty lame.

Agreed. I am a die-hard Sox fan, and I don't give two f***s about the Cubs. That is primarily because I didn't grow up in Chicago, but to throw all Sox fans in the same boat as caring more about the Cubs losing than the Sox winning isn't really fair.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Aug 12, 2015 -> 10:06 AM)
You can tell the excitement and hope in this team has worn off quickly. When we were 4.5 back of the Twins everybody was posting and getting excited. 2 wins, going for the sweep tonight against the Angels and only a few naive hopefuls like me remain.

I haven't watched since Sunday - probably the first back to back games I haven't watched a second of (other than highlights) this season. This weekend really killed it for me, and I just need a couple days off of the frustration. But a win tonight (I will be watching), and my excitement will pique a bit. But really, the chances are so very slim, and this team hasn't given me much to believe that their last 50 games will be somewhere in the ballpark of 15-20 games over .500, because that is likely what they'll need. Can they go 34-17 for 87 wins? Or maybe 32-19 for 85? I don't think 85 gets it done.

What has really killed it for me is Toronto just running away. There is now pretty much only 1 WC spot up for grabs - two weeks ago I would have said the same thing though - but with LAAA firmly in. Things can change, but i don't see Toronto going 23-25 or worse to close out the year.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 12, 2015 -> 11:08 AM)
Wild Card Teams

Toronto 62 52

Los Angel. 59 53

------------------------

Baltimore 57 55

Minnesota 56 56

Texas 55 56

Detroit 54 59

Chicago 53 58 (5.5 GB)

Cleveland 52 59

Seattle 53 61

So you're saying there's a chance.