Finance/Investments

Whitewashed in '05

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 22, 2017 -> 10:16 PM)
I do the same except for Illinois state employees they'll do a deferred income into the Vanguard type fund. Ours is T Rowe Price I believe. I'm old though. I'm in the 2025.

I mean, no one's stopping you from putting money into Target 2050. Set big goals! :P

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KagakuOtoko @ Dec 21, 2017 -> 10:37 PM)
I will absolutely keep you posted. Right now, I have them in a standard what year do you plan to retire fund.

Those funds are BS. They are more actively traded and higher fee'd. You can accomplish the same thing with the SP fund, and a bond fund for a fraction of the price.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 23, 2017 -> 01:31 AM)
Those funds are BS. They are more actively traded and higher fee'd. You can accomplish the same thing with the SP fund, and a bond fund for a fraction of the price.

Vanguard target retirement fund doesn't have fees. Not sure about the actively traded part of it

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Dec 23, 2017 -> 11:04 AM)
Vanguard target retirement fund doesn't have fees. Not sure about the actively traded part of it

Fees are in the range of .13 to .16 % through Vanguard itself. Not sure if that differs when using a different brokerage.

It's all passively managed via index funds. Hence the low expense ratio.

You can just take a look at what vanguard does in the appropriate target date fund and match it in your own to save a little bit, or you can pay that slight expense ratio increase cost and just get the vanguard target date fund.

I do that as closely as possible in my 401k, in our IRAs I just do the target date vanguard fund because it's "set it and forget it for 35 years"

One of the best investments we found, if you have kids going to college is the College Illinois plan.

we signed them up when they were in kindergarten and you pay over 10 years. It's an easy way to save as they give you a coupon book so you are "forced" to do it. It was good for us as we are terrible "savers."

We paid 49,000 into my daughter's account and she got 8,000 this semester from it. That's 72,000 (more as tuition rises) for a 49,000 investment in 12 years.