Sox Looking at Upton

Jose Abreu

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't like the idea of going for a rental. We are still on the outside looking in and are working towards a longer term plan. This winning is nice, but I'd rather give up an extra prospect for Carlos Gomez or someone else who will be around vs. giving up prospects who won't even be around next year to help us (especially positional prospects).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 04:44 PM)
I really don't like the idea of going for a rental. We are still on the outside looking in and are working towards a longer term plan. This winning is nice, but I'd rather give up an extra prospect for Carlos Gomez or someone else who will be around vs. giving up prospects who won't even be around next year to help us (especially positional prospects).

Then what would we do in 2016 with 4 outfielders, not including Shuck/Trayce?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 04:44 PM)

I agree I rsther get either CarGos but they may be more expensive for what we're looking for. Who knows the prices or the market. Plus there's a report of Ross being traded as part (a larger part) of a deal. And if we get Ross with Upton for a responible price it helps us now and our three year plan.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 02:36 PM)
Must admit, Soxtalk's obsession with not allowing catch-alls is sorta.....bizarre.

You can blame me (although I'm not the only person anti-catch all), but as the owner, I have certain preferences and I hate solid rumors burred in threads. It is a pain in the ass for me to read (when I don't want to necessarily read through pages of discussion if I'm trying to get caught up on news / rumors) and it is also bad for forum discussion (and as an admin, I try to do what helps generate discussion).

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 02:48 PM)
Then what would we do in 2016 with 4 outfielders, not including Shuck/Trayce?

What 4 outfielders are you referring to? Trayce and Shuck aren't starters and Avi isn't a starter either (and I presume would be part of a trade).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 04:49 PM)
What 4 outfielders are you referring to? Trayce and Shuck aren't starters and Avi isn't a starter either (and I presume would be part of a trade).

I'm referring to Eaton, Melky, Gomez, and Garcia.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 04:48 PM)
You can blame me (although I'm not the only person anti-catch all), but as the owner, I have certain preferences and I hate solid rumors burred in threads. It is a pain in the ass for me to read (when I don't want to necessarily read through pages of discussion if I'm trying to get caught up on news / rumors) and it is also bad for forum discussion (and as an admin, I try to do what helps generate discussion).

I understand the solid rumors buried in threads thing, but how are catch-alls bad for forum discussion? IMO they're better, as there were many more quality posts in the buyer thread than there are now in the smaller threads.

You're in charge, and don't get me wrong, I appeciate all that the admins to to keep this place running, but I think you accomplish the exact opposite of promoting discussion. But I understand your stance.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 04:49 PM)
Doesn't a rental go against the Sox looking for players in the " 3 year window"? :huh:

If it's just a trade for Upton, yes. Depending on what he costs maybe not. But if it's for Upton and Ross then atleast you have Ross after this year and Upton for the run.

Buried in 6 pages of discussion on Justin sellers, news broke on cespedes, but you would have little idea. You're in the right here.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 04:54 PM)
I understand the solid rumors buried in threads thing, but how are catch-alls bad for forum discussion? IMO they're better, as there were many more quality posts in the buyer thread than there are now in the smaller threads.

Yep.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 02:53 PM)
I'm referring to Eaton, Melky, Gomez, and Garcia.

See, that is where I have no issue. Avi is not a major league starting outfielder (not on a contending club with other lineup issues). I understand he is young and has some tools but I think he is a bad baseball player and given our pitching stuff, am okay cutting ties with him and finding a capable outfielder. I really don't think a lot of people realize just how terrible Avi Garcia is. They all underestimate the awfulness of him because of his age and "tools".

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 09:44 PM)

Couldn't agree more

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 05:01 PM)
I started the thread well after it was buried in there.

I can't tell you how many threads have been started, cleaned up, combined, and deleted in the last few days because of no catch alls. I am guessing you aren't seeing half of them then.