ESPN analyzes the contenders

Wong & Owens

WHITE SOX: This is the hottest team going right now. Best record in baseball since the All-Star break (33-17). Averaging six runs a game and two homers a game since the break. Third in the league in starters' ERA (4.09), even though their fifth starters have exactly three wins in 24 starts. Third in the league in overall ERA. But five games under .500 against contenders outside their division. And the worst road record of any contender (11 games under .500 on the road, vs. 23 over at home).

"Dangerous team," says one GM. "They've got three real good starters and a good back end of the bullpen, even though they have no true closer. And they've got a dangerous lineup. My concerns would be bullpen depth, major questions on defense, and a lack of true cohesiveness and makeup." Another GM seconds that sentiment, saying: "The only thing I don't like is, I just don't trust that cast of characters."

Of course, the knobs at ESPN predicted a Cubs-Red Sox World Series.

Wait, so they don't like our bullpen depth and all that, yet they pick the Cubs to go to the World Series. The Cubs have a much worse bullpen than us. People forget we crushed the Cubs this season.

The Red Sox are good but c'mon. They have bullpen troubles too. I'd take our first four in a series against theres. They have Pedro and Lowe, but not much else. And our cast of character. What was all that junk ESPN was playing when Manny Ramirez didn't feel like pinch-hitting or something like that. The guys more of an ass than anyone we have. Frank has been really good this year, Jurassic hasn't caused trouble, Robbie has his big brother to keep him in check, everyone else is fine. I am not worried about our cast of characters.

Wait, so they don't like our bullpen depth and all that, yet they pick the Cubs to go to the World Series. The Cubs have a much worse bullpen than us. People forget we crushed the Cubs this season.

The Red Sox are good but c'mon. They have bullpen troubles too. I'd take our first four in a series against theres. They have Pedro and Lowe, but not much else. And our cast of character. What was all that junk ESPN was playing when Manny Ramirez didn't feel like pinch-hitting or something like that. The guys more of an ass than anyone we have. Frank has been really good this year, Jurassic hasn't caused trouble, Robbie has his big brother to keep him in check, everyone else is fine. I am not worried about our cast of characters.

We are 2-4 against the Red Sox and actually won when we faced Pedro. The Red Sox have a terrible pen but they shut us down completly.

What 'cast of characters' are they talking about? :huh: I don't recall any of our players spitting on (within the last 5 years :rolleyes: ) or pushing umps, instigating brawls or mouthing off to anyone who can hear them. So I ask again, what they heck do they mean by 'cast of characters?'

What 'cast of characters' are they talking about?  :huh:  I don't recall any of our players spitting on (within the last 5 years  :rolleyes: ) or pushing umps, instigating brawls or mouthing off to anyone who can hear them.  So I ask again, what they heck do they mean by 'cast of characters?'

I'm guessing that he means that they don't gel as a team like everyone at ESPN loves about the Twins.

What 'cast of characters' are they talking about?  :huh:  I don't recall any of our players spitting on (within the last 5 years  :rolleyes: ) or pushing umps, instigating brawls or mouthing off to anyone who can hear them.  So I ask again, what they heck do they mean by 'cast of characters?'

WE got no leaders. WE got no unity. We seem to lack drive to win, at times. We have a poor leader, as a manager. This is common knowledge, and a fair assessment.

WE got no leaders.  WE got no unity.  We seem to lack drive to win, at times. We have a poor leader, as a manager.  This is common knowledge, and a fair assessment.

When someone uses 'cast of characters' that's not generally what they mean. Usually, they mean that there a bunch of bad apples on the team. then again, this is ESPN and they are probably not sure what they mean either. I just think if you are going to call out a team's personal, have a pair and say what you mean, don't insinuate it.

When someone uses 'cast of characters' that's not generally what they mean.  Usually, they mean that there a bunch of bad apples on the team.  then again, this is ESPN and they are probably not sure what they mean either. I just think if you are going to call out a team's personal, have a pair and say what you mean, don't insinuate it.

Maybe i read it wrong but it wasnt espn, rather a GM who said those things. I doubt he would want to come out and say anything controversial, and i dont blame him.

Maybe i read it wrong but it wasnt espn, rather a GM who said those things.  I doubt he would want to come out and say anything controversial, and i dont blame him.

I'll take your word for it. While I understand what you are saying (about the GM not wanting stuff to come out), my opinion is that if you are going to rip on someone (whether it is a little hit or something big), own up to your words.

Guest hotsoxchick1

your right... who the hell cares what they think... i mean really how reliable can their words be anyhow.. they choose the scrubs and red sox to be in the ws..... omfg.. thats the best laugh i had all day...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

your right... who the hell cares what they think... i mean really how reliable can their words  be anyhow.. they choose the scrubs and red sox to be in the ws..... omfg.. thats the best laugh i had all day...... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I don't find that inconceivable at all.

maybe the red sox part, but the scrubs??? come on even you couldnt conceive that one...... :lol:

Actually, I can. They really SHOULD win the NL Central with their schedule. Then with Prior, Zambrano and Wood leading the way. Yes, HSC, it certainly CAN happen. Putting aside all the anti-Cub retoric, my baseball brain tells me it's at least possible.

Actually, I can.  They really SHOULD win the NL Central with their schedule.  Then with Prior, Zambrano and Wood leading the way.  Yes, HSC, it certainly CAN happen.  Putting aside all the anti-Cub retoric, my baseball brain tells me it's at least possible.

Ahhhhh my long lost brother. Someone who can think and be objective at the same time........ :)

I don't like to do it often though.  Generally, reality sucks.  :P

:o Dude thats my main problem in life. I spend too much time in reality, and im not being sarcastic. Other than drugs which i wont do, do you have any suggestions? I want to be in fantasyland like the rest of the world. :)