7/31 White Sox vs Yankees 7:10 PM CT

Jose Abreu

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 09:32 AM)
You guys are all young whipper snappers. I was 8 years old in 1959 when I first started following baseball and the White Sox were my team. My first baseball glove was a Nellie Fox model.

I'm a year older. I was a huge Little Louie fan. I worshiped the guy. My first glove was a Luis Aparicio model. My older brother had a Nellie Fox model (his was the better glove LOL). I was absolutely crushed when Aparicio was traded to Baltimore though Dave Nicholson acquired in that trade quickly became my new favorite player.

Sounds kinda corny but I think it's cool that we all come come together young and old on Soxtalk to share in our love and enthusiasm for baseball and the White Sox in particular.

My picture is me in 1959.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 12:00 PM)
I'm just young enough (and started being a big fan late enough) to miss almost the entire Frank Thomas era unfortunately, especially his best years.

That's too bad. More than likely, the Sox will never have another hitter as dominant as Frank.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 02:03 PM)
That's pretty damn good, I think I would struggle. :lol:

Do you remember disco demolition night as a kid?

I don't, but I do know my dad had tickets to the game the next day and is still pissed off almost 40 years later about it getting forfeited.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 02:16 PM)
I don't, but I do know my dad had tickets to the game the next day and is still pissed off almost 40 years later about it getting forfeited.

Can't blame your dad for that, I'd be pissed too. I remember DDN being all over the news but I really didn't understand at the time why or even how it happened. Just remember the footage being so chaotic. Good ol Steve Dahl, lol.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 06:41 AM)
What's a normal age to start following a team as a die-hard? I'm 25 but my first season following the White Sox all the way through was the 2004 team. I guess I was a late bloomer.

If you're born into it, it's from birth. If you mean follow the team religiously so you have informed opinions I'd say early teens. And if you teenagers out there don't get some of the historical references since you're diehards and have the advantage of having the internet when us old guys didn't you can catch up on history in a hurry.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 05:21 PM)
Sooooo. After all that trade deadline nonsense is anybody up to actually watching the game of baseball tonight?

I'll be following along online, the wife and I are going to chill to some music and drinks in the back yard tonight. Online is better than nothing. :)

Since people are talking about age, I'm actually 17 going on 18. Nice to know there are other die-hard sox fans around my age that can speak on this site without showing any sign of young age. I've been pretty much obsessed with the Sox since 2004, so I was only 6/7 years old.

Edited by RaySox

QUOTE (RaySox @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 06:51 PM)
Since people are talking about age, I'm actually 17 going on 18. Nice to know there are other die-hard sox fans around my age that can speak on this site without showing any sign of young age. I've been pretty much obsessed with the Sox since 2004, so I was only 6/7 years old.

7 years old was when I started too. Probably because I had gotten into playing baseball that year. Like I said earlier, that was the 2007 season... Ryan Bukvich, Ehren Wasserman, Andy Gonzalez... good times.