The Disappointment Thread

bmags

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 08:21 PM)
The only fans who should be more disappointed are probably Twins and Padres fans...

Even the Pads can pass Shields through waivers and probably find a taker because of that contract.

I'd be pissed as a Cubs fan they didn't do more

QUOTE (RaySox @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 04:23 PM)
I'm sure he'll take us to the promise land next year. No other moves needed.

The poster said we had no top 100 position player who could contribute next year, but we clearly have one who can.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 03:22 PM)
If you want to sum it up. The front office just said f*** the playoff spot. That's really what happened here.

Exactly. They said f*** the fans, especially those idiots on Soxtalk. Let's piss them off and do nothing and hopefully start a nice losing streak.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 04:23 PM)
I'd be pissed as a Cubs fan they didn't do more

I generally understand that and I think Cubs fans do too...

They've spent so many years selling on the future that they're all convinced "even if we don't make the playoffs this year we're going to start rocking the next few years and keep getting better".

I still remain kinda surprised they haven't moved Baez for something.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 04:24 PM)
The poster said we had no top 100 position player who could contribute next year, but we clearly have one who can.

Unfortunately there's a bit of a logjam in his way right now. Which might have made him a tempting candidate to use in a trade this trading deadline, if we believed in this team enough to hold onto Samardzija.

I will say this, the Sox did kind of screw themselves in the court of public opinion. If the team continues to play well, fans will bemoan the FO for not picking up a bat to contend seriously. If they tank/fade, fans will bemoan them for not trading Samardzija when they had the chance.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 02:21 PM)
We have no top 100 position player prospect ready to go for 2016. If they want to improve that team then, they'll do what they did last year.

Which was all the more reason they needed to trade Shark. They are going to need to trade to find upgrades for 3b/SS/C/OF. Getting as many pieces as you can for the offseason was very important. They chose the worst option. Do nothing and cross your fingers all the teams in front of you, who have gotten stronger, fall apart.

Best case scenario is this Toronto plan blows up in smoke. They fire AA, and Kenny goes to Toronto.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 02:21 PM)
You can also make trades, have young players emerge and improve, sign good players who don't cost >$100M and a draft pick, etc.

That's exactly what the Royals did, but can KW/Hahn pull it off?

If the White Sox had brought in Morales, Chris Young (placeholder) and Volquez they'd be sitting in a much better position today, as they'd have Volquez as part of the rotation for next year instead of a compensation pick for Shark and they'd have had a lot more depth to pull off a trade at the deadline (the four guys who went to the A's).

Of course, you can argue nobody could have foreseen what Morales or Young were going to do for them.

We probably would have been better off with Rios over Garcia, but that's really not an argument worth having atm.

Along with those guys, dumpster diving for the likes of Blanton to cover your rotation, bringing back Hochevar and signing Medlen to a spec contract based on his TJ history that they don't have to pick up next year ($10 million mutual option).

QUOTE (RaySox @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 09:25 PM)
The Front Office's approach to the deadline this year was absolutely embarrassing.

Why? They have no idea what to expect from this team. The same team they put together in the offseason with optimism it could make the playoffs finally started to play to its potential. I'm actually quite impressed they restrained from going after a rental. To be honest, I would rather have the draft pick then the package Cincy got for Leake.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 03:26 PM)
I will say this, the Sox did kind of screw themselves in the court of public opinion. If the team continues to play well, fans will bemoan the FO for not picking up a bat to contend seriously. If they tank/fade, fans will bemoan them for not trading Samardzija when they had the chance.

THEY CAN STILL PICK UP A BAT!!!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 02:25 PM)
I generally understand that and I think Cubs fans do too...

They've spent so many years selling on the future that they're all convinced "even if we don't make the playoffs this year we're going to start rocking the next few years and keep getting better".

I still remain kinda surprised they haven't moved Baez for something.

My pet theory is that on one actually likes Baez. Every fan/writer has been virtually-trading Baez for three years now. Everyone seems to understand that THEY don't want to deal with the low floor, but assume that another team will pay for the high ceiling.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 02:26 PM)
Since prospects suck and should be traded for 2 month rentals, why does KW get so much crap around here?

Come on Dick, let us have our disappointment. I'm not overreacting. I'm just disappointed. I'm glad we didn't give anything up to Detroit.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 02:28 PM)
How about the outside chance that the Sox know they have a great chance of extending Samardzija once the season ends, but only if he's still on the team?

There's literally NO reason for Samardzija to extend before free agency. Even if he wants to return, he can get more money leveraging other deals.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 03:28 PM)
How about the outside chance that the Sox know they have a great chance of extending Samardzija once the season ends, but only if he's still on the team?

That makes sense because, by keeping him, they essentially lowered the offers he'll get from other teams in FA (due to the comp pick). Thus they lowered the price it would take for them to re-sign him.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 03:28 PM)

No he is going to free agency 100%, keeping him did not do anything to change that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 04:16 PM)
I am disappointed Kenny Williams isn't the GM anymore. You know he would have made a move.

According to ESPN Kenny tried selling Hahn but the asking price was too high.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 03:22 PM)
If you want to sum it up. The front office just said f*** the playoff spot. That's really what happened here.

I'm not 100% sure about that. I think trading Shark would have conveyed that message.