The Disappointment Thread

bmags

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 02:47 PM)
Great you can sit there and play the stand pat card. Your not going to receive sympathy for trying. Toronto and Baltimore are going for it and trying to make a playoffs. They know they can make any more excuses. It's do or die.

AA is under pretty much a make the playoffs or your fired line, so what good to him is his farm system and a longer term plan if he can't get in the playoffs. I think the Sox doing what the Jays did would have been bad given our current roster (not to mention we wouldn't have had the horses to do it). That said, at least a few of the guys they got will be under team control.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 05:49 PM)
AA is under pretty much a make the playoffs or your fired line, so what good to him is his farm system and a longer term plan if he can't get in the playoffs. I think the Sox doing what the Jays did would have been bad given our current roster (not to mention we wouldn't have had the horses to do it). That said, at least a few of the guys they got will be under team control.

The problem for us is...as you say, they got clearly better. That certainly seems to make it a lot harder for us to gain the remaining WC ground, right?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 02:51 PM)
The problem for us is...as you say, they got clearly better. That certainly seems to make it a lot harder for us to gain the remaining WC ground, right?

Absolutely, but you don't see me pleased with what we did. I'd have bought a long-term bat and gone for it or I'd have traded Shark (presuming you got an offer of at least a top 100 guys + something else). If you didn't get an offer like that, I would just hold on to Shark.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 04:49 PM)

That's not the point I was making. I'm not asking to sacrifice the farm. Just show that your interested in making a run. Make a go at it. Those teams are ahead of you and clearly want that spot. You play this game to get into the post season. If that's not your goal you need to leave the front office. They were talking about playoffs in Spring Training. Well here we are. Right in the thick of it and you dont to make it look like your engaged in that discussion.

I am not going to criticize them for trying and it not working. Some of these prospects people like to hold onto tightly are not going to make the team. Hate to break the news there. I have zero problem sacrificing them to make the post season.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 03:40 PM)
Upton and Longoria will not pass through waivers. The Sox aren't going to take on a full time DH like Martinez. As a platoon catcher, Vogt doesn't really move the needle much for this team (if he passes through). Braun would be a possibility I guess, though not one I would be excited about.

I didn't say that they would clear waivers or that the Sox would acquire the players I mentioned. Most players get put on waivers. The Sox will still have a chance to acquire multiple different bats if the elect to. That was my point.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 09:20 PM)
This angers me. It just isnt logical.

How does he think we will continue to win 7 out of 8 games the rest of the way through?

Cause this team did it again. It crept back close to .500 (I realize it actually hit .500 once). It can't drop the next four and fall six back again, can it??

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 02:06 PM)
Chicago White Sox ‏@whitesox 3m3 minutes ago

"We were aggressive on multiple fronts. Ultimately costs did not justify the return."

-- Rick Hahn

See, he's just no fun. He's so polished when he speaks...never slips or hints or gets pissed and complains about another organization.

Part of the fun with Kenny is he would drop hints about what had happened and then one way or another, the hints he was dropping would come to light in a few years.

Darn you, Rick!

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 05:12 PM)
Played 9, only scored 12. I should return the game, it's obviously broken.

Dude you love you some trade deadline. You have 129 posts today. The most of all posters by far.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 05:22 PM)
Dude you love you some trade deadline. You have 129 posts today. The most of all posters by far.

I get really pumped up around trade deadline, I guess. Having Twitter and all the new resources and whatnot certainly help.

edit- also a kid during summer with nothing better to do than stay inside and catch up on trade rumors lol

Edited by Jose Abreu

I'm not terribly disappointed, at least when it comes to buying. If we were 4-7 games over .500, then yeah I might consider giving up a good prospect for a guy like Cespedes, but given where we are and how much better the Blue Jays got, I would have hated that move. I think we waited too long to sell Samardzija. It was a seller's market, then suddenly it became a huge buyer's market, then all the teams that needed a SP got one, so I doubt there were very many good offers for him on the table today. I think we still need to evaluate Johnson as a candidate for next year's rotation, so I'm still hoping he replaces Danks in the rotation. Since we kept Shark, if we start losing again, it's going to really suck to not have any idea of how Johnson will do in the rotation going forward. You don't want to make that decision in Spring Training in 2016. But if the offers for Samardzija weren't great (and I don't think they were), this wasn't really that bad IMO.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 05:41 PM)
I get really pumped up around trade deadline, I guess. Having Twitter and all the new resources and whatnot certainly help.

edit- also a kid during summer with nothing better to do than stay inside and catch up on trade rumors lol

It's a good thing. Thanks for all the posting and updates. :cheers

"We were aggressive on multiple fronts. Ultimately costs did not justify the return."

-- Rick Hahn

Obviously Hahn can't tell us fans everything. Does this really mean:

Jr said make any move I want but don't spend any more money.

OR

I had a perfect trade but Kenny never called me back.

OR

Damn, I though the deadline was tomorrow.

Look what Detroit gor for Cespedes. A top 100 prospect with an ERA under 2.00 plus another guy. The Sox would have had to trump that. It doesn't make sense for a 60 game rental.

No one was willing to pay SD prices, so Upton didn't make sense either.

Trading Shark, unless it was a deal you couldn't say no is kimd of slapping the rest of the roster in the face.

Maybe a waiver claim if they win a couple of more series will make some sense.

Standing pat was probably the right move. For buying, I wouldn't give up our better prospects as a gamble on this year's team, especially with how much some of the other potential wildcard teams improved themselves. For selling, hard to say without knowing what we could have gotten for Samardzija. I do hope we didn't turn down a significant offer for him.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 05:56 PM)

-- Rick Hahn

Obviously Hahn can't tell us fans everything. Does this really mean:

Jr said make any move I want but don't spend any more money.

OR

I had a perfect trade but Kenny never called me back.

OR

Damn, I though the deadline was tomorrow.

To me, it seems like everyone was asking for Anderson, Montas, and Erik Johnson. They weren't willing to do that. I wouldn't have been either. I didn't even want to include Trey, Danish, Adams or someone like that for a rental bat. They can add a smaller piece through waivers. 10 pages of freakout is a little unnecessary but I shouldn't be surprised on this website.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 05:21 PM)
Look what Detroit gor for Cespedes. A top 100 prospect with an ERA under 2.00 plus another guy. The Sox would have had to trump that. It doesn't make sense for a 60 game rental.

No one was willing to pay SD prices, so Upton didn't make sense either.

Trading Shark, unless it was a deal you couldn't say no is kimd of slapping the rest of the roster in the face.

Maybe a waiver claim if they win a couple of more series will make some sense.

My dream is claiming CarGo (totally unrealistic)

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 06:21 PM)

a sub-.500 club has no room to complain about moving a guy who's been here for a little more than half a season and will likely be gone by next year anyway

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 07:01 PM)
a sub-.500 club has no room to complain about moving a guy who's been here for a little more than half a season and will likely be gone by next year anyway

Unless they'd rather have chance at wildcard and comp pick instead of prospects and selling. Meh. Maybe offers weren't better than comp pick.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 07:04 PM)
Unless they'd rather have chance at wildcard and comp pick instead of prospects and selling. Meh. Maybe offers weren't better than comp pick.

sure but that's an argument from the GM's overall strategy perspective not "oh it'd send a bad message to a team that's generally played like hot garbage"

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 11:43 PM)
I'm not terribly disappointed, at least when it comes to buying. If we were 4-7 games over .500, then yeah I might consider giving up a good prospect for a guy like Cespedes, but given where we are and how much better the Blue Jays got, I would have hated that move. I think we waited too long to sell Samardzija. It was a seller's market, then suddenly it became a huge buyer's market, then all the teams that needed a SP got one, so I doubt there were very many good offers for him on the table today. I think we still need to evaluate Johnson as a candidate for next year's rotation, so I'm still hoping he replaces Danks in the rotation. Since we kept Shark, if we start losing again, it's going to really suck to not have any idea of how Johnson will do in the rotation going forward. You don't want to make that decision in Spring Training in 2016. But if the offers for Samardzija weren't great (and I don't think they were), this wasn't really that bad IMO.

i totally agree. that was why i mention of bringing him up and have him share sport starts with rodon... like this the sox can see him in action. not during the callup session.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 11:41 PM)

you did an excellent job of posting smart and interesting post.

many thanks.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 07:01 PM)

They have had a good month. Pulling the plug right when they get back into it is not a good message.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 05:56 PM)
It's a good thing. Thanks for all the posting and updates. :cheers

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 07:12 PM)
you did an excellent job of posting smart and interesting post.

many thanks.

Thanks guys. Sad that all of the updates meant nothing in the end, but maybe we'll make a waiver move!