Send down Rodon and Call up EJ

thxfrthmmrs

This isn't overreacting on just tonight's start. Since we're keeping Shark for now and EJ is ready for another big league stint, we should let Rodon go back to the minors and work on his changeup and command. You can't survive in the big leagues throwing 93% FB and slider with terrible command. I think the move benefits us both in the short term and long term.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I mentioned this in the gamethread but nobody seemed on board. "He needs the experience" I think was the argument for him staying up here. He has way too much to work and I think it would be best for him to do it in AAA. Similar to Micah Johnson, he could hit but really needed to work on his fielding. Rodon has the stuff but doesn't have the command at all.

Erik Johnson has IMO is back to the form we were all excited about last year so I would rather bring him up and see if we have something for the future. Knowing where he is at will help determine what we need to do in the off-season regarding starting pitching.

I'd be okay with it cause it's obvious he needs work, but I think it's a confidence thing. I say let him stay but put him in the bullpen or go with six starters now that shuck is hurt. I think sending him to triple a would set his development back further mentally.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Aug 1, 2015 -> 03:41 AM)
I'd be okay with it cause it's obvious he needs work, but I think it's a confidence thing. I say let him stay but put him in the bullpen or go with six starters now that shuck is hurt. I think sending him to triple a would set his development back further mentally.

It's hard to assume that such a move would set him back mentally, everybody reacts differently to this. Take EJ for example, he's regained his confidence and velocity in the minors. I think Rodon himself is aware that he needs work, and working on those areas in the minors would be more ideal. As long as you tell him that he's only a good changeup away from being a good major leaguer and that he would be called back up if he improves on that pitch, I think he should be fine.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Aug 1, 2015 -> 04:27 AM)
what does scott boras say?

Unless he demands a trade, I don't think there is anything he could do. I also don't think he has extra incentive to let his client explode in the big leagues when he could clearly use more work in the minors.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Aug 1, 2015 -> 04:02 AM)
Typical overreaction thread.

Care to discuss? Right from the start, most people felt that he could have spent a couple more months in the minors. His WHIP has been in the 1.50 range for 2 months now. His walk rate is absurd, and he's a two pitch starter with poor command on those pitches and no confidence in his third pitch. Throw in the fact that EJ is ready for a promotion, and now with Shark staying, we have the luxury of letting Rodon develop a bit more in the minors. So no, I don't think this is based on overreaction to one particular start.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 1, 2015 -> 07:21 AM)
I think he'd dominate AAA hitters and not develop the change up at the same time. I'm going to trust the White sox with pitching

He would do that if his goal is to make it to the majors as fast as he could. But often times, minor league pitchers are also given instructions to work on specific pitch, this would be one of those scenarios.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Aug 1, 2015 -> 03:01 AM)
I mentioned this in the gamethread but nobody seemed on board. "He needs the experience" I think was the argument for him staying up here. He has way too much to work and I think it would be best for him to do it in AAA. Similar to Micah Johnson, he could hit but really needed to work on his fielding. Rodon has the stuff but doesn't have the command at all.

Erik Johnson has IMO is back to the form we were all excited about last year so I would rather bring him up and see if we have something for the future. Knowing where he is at will help determine what we need to do in the off-season regarding starting pitching.

I am not sure if Rodon is better working at ML level or minors. But I agree Johnson needs to get some experience pitching in August games which most likely will have more significance than September after call-ups. I heard Boston was condsidering going to a 6 man rotation in order to see more of their young pitchers. That might be a way to get Rodon and Sale some extra rest and still get a better evaluation on EJ. I think Danks is still their # 5 next year so I am not convinced they want to move him.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Aug 1, 2015 -> 07:25 AM)
Care to discuss? Right from the start, most people felt that he could have spent a couple more months in the minors. His WHIP has been in the 1.50 range for 2 months now. His walk rate is absurd, and he's a two pitch starter with poor command on those pitches and no confidence in his third pitch. Throw in the fact that EJ is ready for a promotion, and now with Shark staying, we have the luxury of letting Rodon develop a bit more in the minors. So no, I don't think this is based on overreaction to one particular start.

If the moment a rookie struggles he needs to be sent to the minors, there wouldn't be a league. He was awesome the outing before last and has had the typical rookie struggles. He is workimg with Coop on his change up. No need to send him down, and no need to think Johnson would be any better.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 1, 2015 -> 01:21 PM)
I think he'd dominate AAA hitters and not develop the change up at the same time. I'm going to trust the White sox with pitching

well, i too trust the sox pitching staff. the sox REALLY need to find out what they have in EJ. is he a mlb pitcher or a AAAA / minor league career pitcher.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Aug 1, 2015 -> 01:44 PM)
I am not sure if Rodon is better working at ML level or minors. But I agree Johnson needs to get some experience pitching in August games which most likely will have more significance than September after call-ups. I heard Boston was condsidering going to a 6 man rotation in order to see more of their young pitchers. That might be a way to get Rodon and Sale some extra rest and still get a better evaluation on EJ. I think Danks is still their # 5 next year so I am not convinced they want to move him.

i like it. i would shelf sale for the season, if beck was in any condition. time to see how the pitchers performed in aug. some can say, it is a trail run for the majors pitching or another spring training session or something wittier than that.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2015 -> 07:58 AM)
If the moment a rookie struggles he needs to be sent to the minors, there wouldn't be a league. He was awesome the outing before last and has had the typical rookie struggles. He is workimg with Coop on his change up. No need to send him down, and no need to think Johnson would be any better.

His good starts are far and few in between now and era is over 6.50 in the past month, this isn't "the moment he struggles" type of situation like you're saying. Johnson was our #1 prospect at one point, and he looks to be back to his normal self now. He gives us a better chance to win right now IMO.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 1, 2015 -> 09:03 AM)
i like it. i would shelf sale for the season, if beck was in any condition. time to see how the pitchers performed in aug. some can say, it is a trail run for the majors pitching or another spring training session or something wittier than that.

I wouldn't shelve Sale, I would just try and get him some extra days of rest. Rodon also may need some extra rest as this is his first full season. Bit is also gives an extended view of EJ not a few starts against some teams who may also be out of the race and playing their AAA players in sept.

I think one of the issues is Rodon has been dealing with blisters this year. Hawk mentioned it during one of his games and I could see when he throw a pitch he was looking at his hand afterwards. Having a bit of control issue already then having to deal with blisters it's probably going to make it worse.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 1, 2015 -> 08:36 AM)
I'm not for sending him down, but Rodon was lousy last night. Hawk tried to make excuses because of a missed called strike three, but I'm not buying it. His control/command/location is awful.

It was a missed pitch and it did lead to the scoring 5 runs, whether thwt would have made a difference last night, that is up for debate. They still got him in other parts of the game.

That one pitch though is interesting. If Flowers catches, known as the better framer, does he get that pitch, and does it potentially save 5 runs?

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Aug 1, 2015 -> 02:34 PM)
I wouldn't shelve Sale, I would just try and get him some extra days of rest. Rodon also may need some extra rest as this is his first full season. Bit is also gives an extended view of EJ not a few starts against some teams who may also be out of the race and playing their AAA players in sept.

you are prob right. but i would shelve him, i just wouldn't trust faith and take a chance on sale getting hurt. i just see this season as a wasted season.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 1, 2015 -> 07:03 AM)

This is the most ridiculous thing in professional sports. Athletes are there to compete. Some are at a level where inactivity produces regression. You can't treat these guys like glass. You can't plan around injury. Remember Sale couldn't start the season it wasn't baseball related.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 1, 2015 -> 02:57 PM)
This is the most ridiculous thing in professional sports. Athletes are there to compete. Some are at a level where inactivity produces regression. You can't treat these guys like glass. You can't plan around injury. Remember Sale couldn't start the season it wasn't baseball related.

then why put a pitch restriction on anyone. why spread out a pitcher starts, why when a game is out of reach, they bring in a player to substitute...

the answer is easy.... the fear of the unknown > injury.