3B Danny Valencia claimed by the A's

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 09:14 AM)
Valencia isn't a "placeholder" if used properly.

Yes he is. Everyone knows he is a platoon player when lefties are pitching. That is a placeholder for a fulltime player that will take his job

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 10:18 AM)
Yes he is. Everyone knows he is a platoon player when lefties are pitching. That is a placeholder for a fulltime player that will take his job

He's an .800 OPS player controlled through 2017. How many .800 OPS guys are there currently on the White Sox team?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 10:24 AM)
He's an .800 OPS player controlled through 2017. How many .800 OPS guys are there currently on the White Sox team?

Why is he being passed around MLB teams like the town bike? And his career OPS is not .800, it is .719. The guy has been exposed against righties, he is what he is. He crushes lefties and sits down against righties

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 10:25 AM)
Why is he being passed around MLB teams like the town bike? And his career OPS is not .800, it is .719. The guy has been exposed against righties, he is what he is. He crushes lefties and sits down against righties

And that has a lot of value now a days since many teams use platoons.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 04:56 PM)

esp with the advance stats. look at Adam L. look at the stats, he should be a platoon batter, but b/c of his salary, he plays all the time.

Danny Valencia, is a good stop gap player, assuming if he passes on his opinions. and the salary should not be horrible.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 11:02 AM)
esp with the advance stats. look at Adam L. look at the stats, he should be a platoon batter, but b/c of his salary, he plays all the time.

Danny Valencia, is a good stop gap player, assuming if he passes on his opinions. and the salary should not be horrible.

I don't know that LaRoche plays strictly due his salary. Who exactly is a better option against LHP? Shuck when he was healthy? Not against LHP. I suppose earlier in the season they could have done Beckham at 3B, Boni in RF and Avi at DH..but that's not much better. I think LaRoche has mainly played against LHP because there really isn't a better option on the bench. That is different now, assuming Trayce is called up (or Valencia is acquired), so maybe, just maybe, LaRoche will sit vs. LHP going forward.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 10:56 AM)

Im not arguing that he has no value, i am saying that he is merely a placeholder and to believe otherwise is foolish. Valencia would have to have a Joey Bats type coming out party to change my mind, and I highly doubt that happens.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 11:16 AM)
Im not arguing that he has no value, i am saying that he is merely a placeholder and to believe otherwise is foolish. Valencia would have to have a Joey Bats type coming out party to change my mind, and I highly doubt that happens.

I agree with you, definitely a placeholder, but can play 1B, 3B, and the corner OF spots, so he can make a great bench player as well. I'd love if they put a claim on him.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 05:05 PM)
I don't know that LaRoche plays strictly due his salary. Who exactly is a better option against LHP? Shuck when he was healthy? Not against LHP. I suppose earlier in the season they could have done Beckham at 3B, Boni in RF and Avi at DH..but that's not much better. I think LaRoche has mainly played against LHP because there really isn't a better option on the bench. That is different now, assuming Trayce is called up (or Valencia is acquired), so maybe, just maybe, LaRoche will sit vs. LHP going forward.

and does anyone really think that the sox will pay 15 mil for a platoon player???

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 11:33 AM)
and does anyone really think that the sox will pay 15 mil for a platoon player???

Well, to be accurate, LaRoche is a $12M player this year, and $13M next year, so not $15M.

And that is exactly what they did when they signed him. LaRoche's splits have always been such that she shouldn't play against LHP. It really isn't that difficult. Due to the way the team was constructed, there weren't really any better options on the roster this season. However, like I said, that may be changing if Thompson is called up and/or Valencia is acquired.

The Sox are paying LaRoche the same amount whether he plays everyday or not. Giving the team a better chance of competing by letting him ride pine against LHP is better for the organization than just running him out there. I am confident (hopeful is probably the better word) that they'll make the right decision if they have a truly better option on the roster. Thompson in RF and Avi at DH would be one of those. Valencia in RF (may not be any better than Avi in the OF, so they're interchangeable in this scenario) and Avi at DH is another.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 08:25 AM)

He's been plucked more times than the rose of tralee, I'm told.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 04:38 PM)
Well, to be accurate, LaRoche is a $12M player this year, and $13M next year, so not $15M.

And that is exactly what they did when they signed him. LaRoche's splits have always been such that she shouldn't play against LHP. It really isn't that difficult. Due to the way the team was constructed, there weren't really any better options on the roster this season. However, like I said, that may be changing if Thompson is called up and/or Valencia is acquired.

The Sox are paying LaRoche the same amount whether he plays everyday or not. Giving the team a better chance of competing by letting him ride pine against LHP is better for the organization than just running him out there. I am confident (hopeful is probably the better word) that they'll make the right decision if they have a truly better option on the roster. Thompson in RF and Avi at DH would be one of those. Valencia in RF (may not be any better than Avi in the OF, so they're interchangeable in this scenario) and Avi at DH is another.

and there is were we should agree to disagree. i have this little itch that thinks the owners will not allow that.

but then again what the hell do i know.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 04:34 PM)
It is a sunk cost. at this point you have to do what is best for the team

a valid point. don't get me wrong, but the owners may have a different pov. the $$$ rtn for an investment.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 02:03 PM)
Billy f***ing Beane.

Rhett Bollinger ‏@RhettBollinger 2m2 minutes ago

Danny Valencia was claimed on waivers by the A's, the Blue Jays just announced in the pressbox

Son of aaaaaaa.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 02:05 PM)
Chris Cotillo ‏@ChrisCotillo 1m1 minute ago

Danny Valencia does not get past Athletics on waivers, as Oakland claims him before CWS could get the chance.

Before anyone but the A's could get the chance.

Its a bummer, the Sox probably could have gotten him for a live arm in Single A on Friday. The Jays have no leverage here against the A's. Basically give me something that is worth more than the $20K fee we'll get if we put him on non-revocable waivers.