3B Danny Valencia claimed by the A's

GGajewski18

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 04:04 PM)
I wish the Sox had a competent front office.

The front office didn't do anything wrong in this case. They were going to claim him. Actually, they most likely put in a claim but Oakland has priority.

If anything Toronto screwed up by not getting anything for him Fri before the deadline passed. I would bet a bunch of teams would have given something more than the nothing he just got. It was not clear he was going to be the one waived as he was having a good year. Their GM should have called especially someone like us who it is apparent could use a guy that hits LH. If they did call us, we had to guess he would not pass thru, maybe couldn't agree on price but Tor couldn't get less than they did.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 05:53 PM)
Surely they could have contacted the A's Friday afternoon after they got Revere and worked out a trade.

No they couldn't. The Revere trade did not get finalized until close to the deadline.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 06:52 PM)
90 minutes before the deadline from what I read. Plus teams normally have potential trades set up beforehand contingent on other moves.

According to attached, they made the valencia decision Friday night.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/bluejays/201...el-carrera.html

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 04:20 PM)
If anything Toronto screwed up by not getting anything for him Fri before the deadline passed. I would bet a bunch of teams would have given something more than the nothing he just got. It was not clear he was going to be the one waived as he was having a good year. Their GM should have called especially someone like us who it is apparent could use a guy that hits LH. If they did call us, we had to guess he would not pass thru, maybe couldn't agree on price but Tor couldn't get less than they did.

Probably too busy arguing with each to have the time to inquire..."but it will block playing time for LaRoche/Saladino/Avi"!!

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 09:38 AM)
Well, to be accurate, LaRoche is a $12M player this year, and $13M next year, so not $15M.

And that is exactly what they did when they signed him. LaRoche's splits have always been such that she shouldn't play against LHP. It really isn't that difficult. Due to the way the team was constructed, there weren't really any better options on the roster this season. However, like I said, that may be changing if Thompson is called up and/or Valencia is acquired.

The Sox are paying LaRoche the same amount whether he plays everyday or not. Giving the team a better chance of competing by letting him ride pine against LHP is better for the organization than just running him out there. I am confident (hopeful is probably the better word) that they'll make the right decision if they have a truly better option on the roster. Thompson in RF and Avi at DH would be one of those. Valencia in RF (may not be any better than Avi in the OF, so they're interchangeable in this scenario) and Avi at DH is another.

They haven''t made the decision to sit LaRoche against lefties and they knew the splits when they acquired him. 5 months of playing him against lefties. What makes you hopeful they will do it now ?

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 06:26 PM)
They haven''t made the decision to sit LaRoche against lefties and they knew the splits when they acquired him. 5 months of playing him against lefties. What makes you hopeful they will do it now ?

Roster construction.

Who exactly was a better fit to DH against LHP? Shuck? No, he's a lefty too altho hasn't shown extreme platoon splits, still not gonna DH him or put him in RF against LHP. Bonifacio? Wasn't going to be Gillaspie. Beckham...well he'd ready be a 3B versus the LHP.Soto? Then you have no backup C...you get the point...

Now with Trayce they can him him in RF (better for D) and DH Avi who shows a notable platoon split favoring LHP.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 07:50 PM)
Roster construction.

Who exactly was a better fit to DH against LHP? Shuck? No, he's a lefty too altho hasn't shown extreme platoon splits, still not gonna DH him or put him in RF against LHP. Bonifacio? Wasn't going to be Gillaspie. Beckham...well he'd ready be a 3B versus the LHP.Soto? Then you have no backup C...you get the point...

Now with Trayce they can him him in RF (better for D) and DH Avi who shows a notable platoon split favoring LHP.

Yes, Bonifacio or Beckham. If Beckham was playing for Gillaspie and you need Soto as a backup C...then put Garcia at DH and Bonifacio in RF. That's what the plan should have been from the day Bonifacio was signed. If we weren't willing to do that then we should have found a different RH hitter and not signed Bonifacio.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 07:08 PM)
Yes, Bonifacio or Beckham. If Beckham was playing for Gillaspie and you need Soto as a backup C...then put Garcia at DH and Bonifacio in RF. That's what the plan should have been from the day Bonifacio was signed. If we weren't willing to do that then we should have found a different RH hitter and not signed Bonifacio.

I'm fine w that argument, I'd probably play Boni out here too, but I understand why they didn't.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 08:34 PM)
I'm fine w that argument, I'd probably play Boni out here too, but I understand why they didn't.

Then they shouldn't have signed him. Find a different RH bat. The moment we signed LaRoche we needed one and that was seemingly why Bonifacio made sense to people in the first place.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 07:43 PM)
Then they shouldn't have signed him. Find a different RH bat. The moment we signed LaRoche we needed one and that was seemingly why Bonifacio made sense to people in the first place.

When Boni was signed, I figured it was to be the weak side of the 3B platoon. Beckhams signing threw a wrench in that. I get why they wanted to play Avi every day in RF heading into the season. I don't disagree that another RH bat would have been ideal, but to me, it was Beckham not Boni that screwed that up. I liked the Bonifacio signing - it made a ton of sense and I was one of the biggest proponents of it around here. Robin botched it, but w the way Boni has played all year (albeit in a very SSS), maybe he had a good reason why.

But alas, the Sox have a chance to sit LaRoche against LHP now. I doubt they will, but they should. I know you agree.