Top White Sox Prospects, Midseason 2015

NorthSideSox72

The wait is over - we have our Top 30 White Sox prospects list ready. As usual we are releasing in two parts. First we do players ranked 16-30 with their detailed capsules, then a day or two later the Full T30 with T15 capsules, and a list of players who just missed the list.

Here is the 16-30 article, which by the way is a LOT different than the offseason one. Lots of turnover on this list.

Would love to hear people's thoughts on the list!

My thoughts:

Guerra at 30 over guys like Leyer, Wheeler, Rondon (assuming he's not in top 15), Rodriguez, Robbins, Almonte, Chalas, and Martinez is a joke to me. But, that's really nit picking since he's at 30.

Love that Wendelken finally made the list. I really think he can be a Petricka type pitcher.

Love that the young guys are finally coming into their own it looks like, like Cruz, Jarvis, Clark. I'm willing to bet Savala, Rodriguez, and Almonte will crack the top 30 next year.

I think Erwin is too high, low 20s sounds right.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 11:10 AM)
My thoughts:

Guerra at 30 over guys like Leyer, Wheeler, Rondon (assuming he's not in top 15), Rodriguez, Robbins, Almonte, Chalas, and Martinez is a joke to me. But, that's really nit picking since he's at 30.

Love that Wendelken finally made the list. I really think he can be a Petricka type pitcher.

Love that the young guys are finally coming into their own it looks like, like Cruz, Jarvis, Clark. I'm willing to bet Savala, Rodriguez, and Almonte will crack the top 30 next year.

Guerra's proximity to majors and his arsenal earned him the 30-spot. Totally agree with you on Erwin.

My thoughts:

Erwin does seem a bit high in retrospect, but honestly there is not a lot of difference between 16-35 in this system. The rankings were all over the board.

My thoughts:

As Will pointed out, Guerra is right on the doorstep and has the stuff to be an effective major league reliever. Guys like Leyer and Wheeler (other relievers) are further off and their current stuff is no better, though they have higher ceilings. The rest are all guys who could have made a case there, but as Rob pointed out, we had a real hard time with the back end of the list. When we release the full list that includes names who just missed, you'll see it is longer than any we've ever had, because there were that many "interesting" guys at the bottom.

FYI, Rondon is not in the Top 15 either. His hitting has fallen off a cliff, not just in results, but when you watch him hit he's just a disaster up there.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 12:09 PM)
As Will pointed out, Guerra is right on the doorstep and has the stuff to be an effective major league reliever. Guys like Leyer and Wheeler (other relievers) are further off and their current stuff is no better, though they have higher ceilings. The rest are all guys who could have made a case there, but as Rob pointed out, we had a real hard time with the back end of the list. When we release the full list that includes names who just missed, you'll see it is longer than any we've ever had, because there were that many "interesting" guys at the bottom.

FYI, Rondon is not in the Top 15 either. His hitting has fallen off a cliff, not just in results, but when you watch him hit he's just a disaster up there.

It's true. Rondon is putting up worse stats at the plate than when he was in the Dominican Summer League. He is slugging .224 despite hitting three home runs this year.

Also on Rondon, keep this in view: The White Sox promoted Eddy Alvarez, and Eddy has been playing shortstop almost exclusively. So they moved Rondon off SS (to 2B and some DH for getting ABs) to make room for Alvarez. That should tell you something.

I'm actually surprised they didn't move Rondon back to Kanny, though I suppose they've got him on a hitting program with Charlie Poe they don't want to interrupt.

My thoughts:

A joke? He's striking out the world in AAA, and had a nice K:BB in a brief majors stint. Albeit he's been poorer in the bullpen recently (I'd have left him starting). Out of some of the names you want ahead of him, I love me some Cleuluis, but he's hitting .182/.245/.227 at A+, that's beyond poor. Robbins is hitting .264/.278/.364 at Low-A as a 22-year-old. Luis Martinez is striking out 15% and walking 11% at Low-A.

As for my thoughts about the list, players I don't buy as Top 30, or as high as they are:

Nick Delmonico: hitting below league average for Birmingham, offers nothing defensively or on the bases, wouldn't be hyped only for 22 great PA with Winston-Sale,

Johan Cruz: not actually hitting that well despite a .315 average (89 wRC+), walk rate has collapsed

Myles Jaye: colour me unimpressed by a 17.8 K% and a 8.0 BB% at his second go at AA, and his first go was awful

Thad Lowry: he's intriguing but not that high for me, like Jaye the K:BB has jumped from awful to merely okay

Corey Zangari: 31 strikeouts to 5 walks as a first baseman at AZL screams trouble to me, even considering his age

People I would have considered over some of those guys:

Junior Guerra: as stated above

Jordan Guerrero: Unless he's top 15?

Matt Cooper: 41.1 K%, 5.7 BB%. Completely insane. Promote him already.

Seby Zavela: college performer, completely mashing at AZL (as he should be, but .364/.432/.662 is terrific), can he stick at catcher?

Carlos Perez: a terrific 14:5 BB:K ratio for the DSL White Sox, projects to stick at catcher, good scouting reports

Zach Phillips: still technically a prospect despite appearing in 3 MLB seasons, excellent at Charlotte could do a job in the bullpen right now imo

Dan Dopico: college performing reliever, like Cooper a terrific K:BB at a lower level than he should be

David Trexler: stuff has apparently ticked way up, this would be dependant on him moving to a starter like reports said, but he hasn't yet

Omar Narvaez: wildcard but has excellent plate discipline (no power), ranking would be dependent on him potentially being an excellent framer per reports

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 12:41 PM)
A joke? He's striking out the world in AAA, and had a nice K:BB in a brief majors stint. Albeit he's been poorer in the bullpen recently (I'd have left him starting). Out of some of the names you want ahead of him, I love me some Cleuluis, but he's hitting .182/.245/.227 at A+, that's beyond poor. Robbins is hitting .264/.278/.364 at Low-A as a 22-year-old. Luis Martinez is striking out 15% and walking 11% at Low-A.

As for my thoughts about the list, players I don't buy as Top 30, or as high as they are:

Nick Delmonico: hitting below league average for Birmingham, offers nothing defensively or on the bases, wouldn't be hyped only for 22 great PA with Winston-Sale,

Johan Cruz: not actually hitting that well despite a .315 average (89 wRC+), walk rate has collapsed

Myles Jaye: colour me unimpressed by a 17.8 K% and a 8.0 BB% at his second go at AA, and his first go was awful

Thad Lowry: he's intriguing but not that high for me, like Jaye the K:BB has jumped from awful to merely okay

Corey Zangari: 31 strikeouts to 5 walks as a first baseman at AZL screams trouble to me, even considering his age

People I would have considered over some of those guys:

Junior Guerra: as stated above

Jordan Guerrero: Unless he's top 15?

Matt Cooper: 41.1 K%, 5.7 BB%. Completely insane. Promote him already.

Seby Zavela: college performer, completely mashing at AZL (as he should be, but .364/.432/.662 is terrific), can he stick at catcher?

Carlos Perez: a terrific 14:5 BB:K ratio for the DSL White Sox, projects to stick at catcher, good scouting reports

Zach Phillips: still technically a prospect despite appearing in 3 MLB seasons, excellent at Charlotte could do a job in the bullpen right now imo

Dan Dopico: college performing reliever, like Cooper a terrific K:BB at a lower level than he should be

David Trexler: stuff has apparently ticked way up, this would be dependant on him moving to a starter like reports said, but he hasn't yet

Omar Narvaez: wildcard but has excellent plate discipline (no power), ranking would be dependent on him potentially being an excellent framer per reports

For the record, not all the writers were in agreement on everything. I happen to agree with you on Delminico for example, and I personally think he's not that close to T30 - though I know the profile and background add some interest.

As for your alternates, a few notes... Guerrero is in the Top 15... Cooper is interesting, the results are insane, but I saw him in person in May and wasn't that impressed (unless he's changed some things, which is possible) though I agree he needs promotion... With Zavala and Dopico they are both worth watching, but I'm not going to get super-excited about Rk ball stats from lower profile guys just yet... Trexler, Narvaez and Perez were all discussed and just missed the list.

Oh and, Philips is no longer a prospect by rule - too much major league service time.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 05:48 PM)
For the record, not all the writers were in agreement on everything. I happen to agree with you on Delminico for example, and I personally think he's not that close to T30 - though I know the profile and background add some interest.

As for your alternates, a few notes... Guerrero is in the Top 15... Cooper is interesting, the results are insane, but I saw him in person in May and wasn't that impressed (unless he's changed some things, which is possible) though I agree he needs promotion... With Zavala and Dopico they are both worth watching, but I'm not going to get super-excited about Rk ball stats from lower profile guys just yet... Trexler, Narvaez and Perez were all discussed and just missed the list.

Oh and, Philips is no longer a prospect by rule - too much major league service time.

and here is my point, no one will always agree and as the sox continue to get more players in the systems, it is going to be extremely hard to get a great feel of the prospects and where they rank.

you guys do a great job just introducing those prospects to us, the other group of fans.

many thanks for that info.

psst ..... when is the 30-45 coming out???? :notworthy

Here's my guess at the Top 15:

1. Tim Anderson SS

2. Carson Fulmer RHP

3. Frankie Montas RHP

4. Spencer Adams RHP

5. Micah Johnson 2B

6. Trey Michalczewski 3B

7. Tyler Danish RHP

8. Micker Adolfo OF

9. Courtney Hawkins OF

10. Jacob May OF

11. Jordan Guerrero LHP

12. Chris Beck RHP

13. Trayce Thompson OF

14. Matt Davidson 3B

15. Luis Martinez RHP

I'm assuming that these guys missed and I'm intrigued by some of them: Amado Nunez, Jhoandro Alfaro, Keon Barnum, Andre Wheeler, and Michael Ynoa

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 01:03 PM)
and here is my point, no one will always agree and as the sox continue to get more players in the systems, it is going to be extremely hard to get a great feel of the prospects and where they rank.

you guys do a great job just introducing those prospects to us, the other group of fans.

many thanks for that info.

psst ..... when is the 30-45 coming out???? :notworthy

Funny you say that. Historically, we've done a pair of articles after each Offseason list, looking at the players who just missed - we call then Next Wave. With so many interesting names just missing, we're going to do them after the Midseason list this year too. Sometime in the next week or two.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 01:11 PM)

1. Tim Anderson SS

2. Carson Fulmer RHP

3. Frankie Montas RHP

4. Spencer Adams RHP

5. Micah Johnson 2B

6. Trey Michalczewski 3B

7. Tyler Danish RHP

8. Micker Adolfo OF

9. Courtney Hawkins OF

10. Jacob May OF

11. Jordan Guerrero LHP

12. Chris Beck RHP

13. Trayce Thompson OF

14. Matt Davidson 3B

15. Luis Martinez RHP

I'm assuming that these guys missed and I'm intrigued by some of them: Amado Nunez, Jhoandro Alfaro, Keon Barnum, Andre Wheeler, and Michael Ynoa

You've got a guy in your T15 there that didn't make our T30, let alone 15. So you're missing a guy.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 06:11 PM)
Funny you say that. Historically, we've done a pair of articles after each Offseason list, looking at the players who just missed - we call then Next Wave. With so many interesting names just missing, we're going to do them after the Midseason list this year too. Sometime in the next week or two.

wow..... i can't wait .

all those rookies and the rookies leagues. those players i can't wait to get more info.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 01:12 PM)
You've got a guy in your T15 there that didn't make our T30, let alone 15. So you're missing a guy.

Is Saladino still eligible? I'm assuming it's Luis Martinez that isn't on your list. I like Antonio Rodriguez but wasn't sure if you'd have him there. Hmmm….Interested for tomorrow.

Edited by Y2JImmy0

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 11:48 AM)

Cool, thanks. As a rule, I don't get too excited by rookie stats either, but when they're clear standard deviations above what anyone else is doing they're worth looking at, particularly when the college track record is strong too.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 01:11 PM)

1. Tim Anderson SS

2. Carson Fulmer RHP

3. Frankie Montas RHP

4. Spencer Adams RHP

5. Micah Johnson 2B

6. Trey Michalczewski 3B

7. Tyler Danish RHP

8. Micker Adolfo OF

9. Courtney Hawkins OF

10. Jacob May OF

11. Jordan Guerrero LHP

12. Chris Beck RHP

13. Trayce Thompson OF

14. Matt Davidson 3B

15. Luis Martinez RHP

So I'll adjust my list to look like this after finding out about Saladino.

1. Tim Anderson

2. Carson Fulmer

3. Frankie Montas

4. Spencer Adams

5. Micah Johnson

6. Trey Michalczewski

7. Tyler Danish

8. Micker Adolfo

9. Courtney Hawkins

10. Jacob May

11. Chris Beck

12. Tyler Saladino