Top 30 White Sox Prospects - Midseason 2015

NorthSideSox72

Give it a read. It's long (our rankings lists always are), but it is also one of the biggest and best things we do. We had seven writers participate in the process this year, and to all of them I say THANK YOU.

If you're going to read something from FutureSox, these rankings lists are one of the few must-reads.

So now that the full list is out, tell us what you think!

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 01:22 PM)
Give it a read. It's long (our rankings lists always are), but it is also one of the biggest and best things we do. We had seven writers participate in the process this year, and to all of them I say THANK YOU.

If you're going to read something from FutureSox, these rankings lists are one of the few must-reads.

real nice...... i really like the first 4.

i still think but this is me, 1 and 2 should be tie.

and davidson should be out of the T20.

other than that...... this is going to be great reading continuously thru out spring training. using this a the tablesetter for improving the system...

to all who worked on it......many thanks :notworthy

A few fun facts about the list that we didn't include in the post because it was already so long...

--There was significant argument about 1 vs 2, which hasn't happened in a few years

--The upper-middle of the list, from about 4 through the teens, is pretty weak, relatively

--The lower third or half of the list is possibly the strongest we've seen in a long time, and a whole lot of players who missed the list could have easily been in that back end

--The increased spending in LatAm the last few years is starting to bear fruit, as some key signees are making into the back end or just missing it - which is part of why there is so much depth there

--The lack of 2nd and 3rd round picks this year, along with offseason trades like the one for Shark, are significant parts of why the middle is so weak this cycle

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 01:51 PM)
A few fun facts about the list that we didn't include in the post because it was already so long...

--There was significant argument about 1 vs 2, which hasn't happened in a few years

--The upper-middle of the list, from about 4 through the teens, is pretty weak, relatively

--The lower third or half of the list is possibly the strongest we've seen in a long time, and a whole lot of players who missed the list could have easily been in that back end

--The increased spending in LatAm the last few years is starting to bear fruit, as some key signees are making into the back end or just missing it - which is part of why there is so much depth there

--The lack of 2nd and 3rd round picks this year, along with offseason trades like the one for Shark, are significant parts of why the middle is so weak this cycle

also what needs to be taken into account, look at where the club was several yrs ago and look at the talent of where it is now.

yous guys could only work with what has be given to you.

next yr when the rookies this yr really start to make a name for themselves is going to be a great edition.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 09:01 AM)
Where would Chris Bassitt and Rangel Raveo be ranked?

Yes, I do realize Chris is over the 50 ip limit for consideration overall.

But just for argument's sake.

Would he be ranked behind E. Johnson, who's also ineligible?

Ravelo missed most of this season due to injury, though now he's hitting in his typical fashion (more or less). He might be right around the same level as last time he was on our list, around 10-12 ish.

Bassitt, maybe a little lower than that, but the key questions with him were always about breaking pitches, and what he could do with LHH. I'd need to know more about what, if anything, he's done there with his stuff. He could be higher, or not.

Good list, always interesting reading. I would have had Jacob May a lot higher. I know he had a tough injury a couple of months ago, but he is a tremendous prospect. Most in the Top 10-12 or so should at least make it to the big leagues.

Great list guys. The only thing I would say is that #8 is way too high for Adolfo, but then again I'm more of a production guy that purely projection. It's not Adolfo's fault he doesn't have the production yet — he's 18 years old! But he has a loooong way to go and I need to see more before I rank him that high.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 02:58 PM)
Great list guys. The only thing I would say is that #8 is way too high for Adolfo, but then again I'm more of a production guy that purely projection. It's not Adolfo's fault he doesn't have the production yet — he's 18 years old! But he has a loooong way to go and I need to see more before I rank him that high.

and you make a good point.

not this list from soxtalk, but the pro's. i have yet to figure out how they make the list.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 08:22 AM)

Is it unanimous over at Futuresox that Micah Johnson can't become a CF? I've seen the twitter account mention this (and it's mentioned at this link, and i'm reading the link within too) but I'm wondering how completely that belief is held. Basically that his arm cannot handle OF?

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 10:15 AM)
Is it unanimous over at Futuresox that Micah Johnson can't become a CF? I've seen the twitter account mention this (and it's mentioned at this link, and i'm reading the link within too) but I'm wondering how completely that belief is held. Basically that his arm cannot handle OF?

The link on the list goes to an article I wrote. I know at least some of the other writers feel the same, but I've never asked if it was ALL of them.

If you read that article, you'll see the reasons.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 10:25 AM)
The link on the list goes to an article I wrote. I know at least some of the other writers feel the same, but I've never asked if it was ALL of them.

If you read that article, you'll see the reasons.

Thanks much.

Additionally..wow. Seems like there have been more different ways to spell Frank Montas' name than there were for Fausto Carmona.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 08:33 AM)
Ravelo missed most of this season due to injury, though now he's hitting in his typical fashion (more or less). He might be right around the same level as last time he was on our list, around 10-12 ish.

Bassitt, maybe a little lower than that, but the key questions with him were always about breaking pitches, and what he could do with LHH. I'd need to know more about what, if anything, he's done there with his stuff. He could be higher, or not.

If we had so much pitching talent that a guy who just shut down the Orioles and has a 2.66 ERA in 47 innings so far this season is only ranked 13-15 in our system, we should probably have one of the best minor league systems in all of baseball.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 10:31 AM)
If we had so much pitching talent that a guy who just shut down the Orioles and has a 2.66 ERA in 47 innings so far this season is only ranked 13-15 in our system, we should probably have one of the best minor league systems in all of baseball.

It doesn't work that way, and I'm pretty sure you know that. Looking at Bassitt's peripherals and advanced metrics, he's been lucky. He's a good talent, but unless he's done something to work in a batter change and breaking pitch (which maybe he has), he's a reliever or a doomed starter. Not because he can't handle the workload, but because he is so heavily reliant on a (very good) sinking mid-90s fastball and plus control. The rest of his repertoire lacks movement and command, again, unless he improved it.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 12:33 PM)
It doesn't work that way, and I'm pretty sure you know that. Looking at Bassitt's peripherals and advanced metrics, he's been lucky. He's a good talent, but unless he's done something to work in a batter change and breaking pitch (which maybe he has), he's a reliever or a doomed starter. Not because he can't handle the workload, but because he is so heavily reliant on a (very good) sinking mid-90s fastball and plus control. The rest of his repertoire lacks movement and command, again, unless he improved it.

According to PitchFX Fangraphs, he's throwing the fastball a little more than last year (60%, which is right around league average), but both his fastball and his slider are coming in as more effective pitches. It also thinks he's throwing a changeup 5% of the time, but I always wonder how accurate that is (could just be classifying his lower-velocity sliders). His curveball still shows as a weak, below-average pitch, but he's throwing it 15% of the time as well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 12:39 PM)
According to PitchFX Fangraphs, he's throwing the fastball a little more than last year (60%, which is right around league average), but both his fastball and his slider are coming in as more effective pitches. It also thinks he's throwing a changeup 5% of the time, but I always wonder how accurate that is (could just be classifying his lower-velocity sliders). His curveball still shows as a weak, below-average pitch, but he's throwing it 15% of the time as well.

That would be good news for him on the slider. The CB and CH are still weak pitches though.

He was a real prospect the team gave up, no doubt.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 01:54 PM)
I think Carson Fulmer ahead of Tim Anderson is absurd but the rest of the list is about what I expected.

The best collegiate pitcher who's more refined vs. a young hitter with a virtually unlimited toolbox but higher possibility of busting is always going to be an interesting scout's debate, then you have the premium position vs. a starting pitcher who only gets into 32-33 games per season.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 02:58 PM)
The best collegiate pitcher who's more refined vs. a young hitter with a virtually unlimited toolbox but higher possibility of busting is always going to be an interesting scout's debate, then you have the premium position vs. a starting pitcher who only gets into 32-33 games per season.

Fulmer isn't Carlos Rodon though. People need to stop thinking like this. I like him. I trust the Sox on pitching. But Fulmer isn't a sure thing to be a starting pitcher long-term.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 09:01 PM)
Fulmer isn't Carlos Rodon though. People need to stop thinking like this. I like him. I trust the Sox on pitching. But Fulmer isn't a sure thing to be a starting pitcher long-term.

Yep, the last thing I would categorize him as is being "refined".

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 03:01 PM)

I think you said it here, the Sox are trusted to evaluate pitching talent and have a track record of handling guys who other organizations might be scared off by their mechanics. If Anderson hits his very high ceiling he will make this look silly agreed, but he has quite a bit more development ahead of him where Fulmer is likely closer to the majors to be honest.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 03:14 PM)
I think you said it here, the Sox are trusted to evaluate pitching talent and have a track record of handling guys who other organizations might be scared off by their mechanics. If Anderson hits his very high ceiling he will make this look silly agreed, but he has quite a bit more development ahead of him where Fulmer is likely closer to the majors to be honest.

Of course he's closer to the majors. Junior Guerra is closer to the majors but he shouldn't be a top 30 prospect either.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 03:01 PM)

Nor is Anderson a sure thing to be a major leaguer of any kind. He's still pretty raw. He's developing, but he's far from a sure thing either. And neither, in my view, is as good as Rodon was this past offseason when he was #1.

For the record, I voted Anderson over Fulmer, but I can certainly see the Fulmer argument.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 03:18 PM)
Of course he's closer to the majors. Junior Guerra is closer to the majors but he shouldn't be a top 30 prospect either.

Development time in the minors (basically their chances of busting) are absolutely a consideration in these rankings. It's a risk/reward you have to weigh when you are evaluating these guys.