8.6 games

BigFinn

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 03:31 PM)
If that is the case, that is good news, because it means multiples of these guys are developing into major leaguers.

as exciting as this org develop pitchers, yet, the hitters????

the sox does have assets to trade for players who can fix those holes.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 09:28 AM)
Thing is, while it's tempting to let all the arms develop and have them pitch on the big league club, there's only so many spots. They need to start trading some pitching depth to get hitters.

Yes, this right here. ^

Just taking a guess but I'd bet we see some minor league trades this winter that swap pitching for hitting talent. If the Sox cannot fit Micah Johnson into the mix then I'd trade him for some kind of 3B, C or RF talent.

Going by comments made at the trade deadline, the Sox seem to have certain minor leaguers on a no-trade list. Namely Anderson, Montas, Adams and Fulmer appear to be the players. After those three pitchers I think any other pitching talent could be traded for some hitting. I assume the Sox keep Erik Johnson to take Samardzija's rotation spot in 2016 as well.

Just a reminder that Jason Coats has a near-.900 OPS in July in August in AAA, and this is only his 3rd year in the minors. People focus on his age (he's 25), but the guy reached AAA after just 275 pro games (basically two season's worth). And he's adjusted quite well. Add in above average corner defense, strong arm, some speed and the ability to play center occasionally... and you see why he jumped into the rankings.

I honestly think if not for 40-man considerations, it may have been him instead of Thompson coming up to cover for Shuck. The good news is, Coats can still spend all of 2016 in the minors before he requires protection.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 02:58 PM)
A guy like that is probably making a $100k tops, probably less. For someone who had millions of dollar contracts before, that is nothing.
Probably much better than what they would get doing something else.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 03:55 PM)
On name recognition alone, I would be pretty surprised. If nothing else, something like coaching would also be an option.

Playing>coaching. If some team will pay you to play, keep playing until you can't anymore. Then you can always coach.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 08:55 PM)
He's on a minor league deal

if i remember correctly, he was offered a 2 mil contract and the only stipulation is something a 30 day deal of some sort. i do not know the whole language of the contract.

now he is on a side contract , value unknown.