8/7 at KC Royals

flavum

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 07:54 PM)
His bat's probably not a starting caliber bat even if he's an above average defender at 3b, but if he's an above average defender at SS his bat could make him an extremely valuable SS.

i have been thinking about this for the past week. it keeps coming up with this, at least for me.

i am thinking, saladino needed to have experience at the top level. this is his intro to the big time. that was why i asked a previous question on something like this.

why, to see what the org in him and to get him ready for the SS position.

i am also thinking the sox does not want to invest in Alexei for next season, so have saladino as the temp, for at least a yr. until anderson is ready. if not anderson, then deal with the possible trading for a prospects.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 03:22 PM)
i have been thinking about this for the past week. it keeps coming up with this, at least for me.

i am thinking, saladino needed to have experience at the top level. this is his intro to the big time. that was why i asked a previous question on something like this.

why, to see what the org in him and to get him ready for the SS position.

i am also thinking the sox does not want to invest in Alexei for next season, so have saladino as the temp, for at least a yr. until anderson is ready. if not anderson, then deal with the possible trading for a prospects.

This makes a lot of sense to me too. Problem is I just can't figure out where to put everyone next year. I want to see Micah up, but I also think if Sanchez is going to make it he'll be at 2b. Micah can't play 3b with his arm, he's got to be at 2b. Saladino is the only one who it seems to make sense could take over 3b for a full season, Sanchez could take over SS, and Johnson at 2b, but then Saladino and Sanchez are both playing at positions that probably aren't their best long term spots.

And then I still think they'll probably pick up Alexei's option, because they'll be convinced they have a competitive team next year and they'll think Alexei can be a part of that.

Just my opinion. I think Ramirez is gone after the season and unless Micah can stay healthy and get over his hamstring issues, his futue with the Sox is dubious at best. Can't play Tyler at third base. Third base is a power / RBI position. You've got to have a masher at that position who plays decent defense. Now who that can be for the Sox I have no idea.

I can see Tyler as the all around utility guy next year since Gordon and Bonafacio will be gone. Sanchez is settling in nicely at second leave him there.

Mark

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 07:40 PM)
Just my opinion. I think Ramirez is gone after the season and unless Micah can stay healthy and get over his hamstring issues, his futue with the Sox is dubious at best. Can't play Tyler at third base. Third base is a power / RBI position. You've got to have a masher at that position who plays decent defense. Now who that can be for the Sox I have no idea.

I can see Tyler as the all around utility guy next year since Gordon and Bonafacio will be gone. Sanchez is settling in nicely at second leave him there.

Mark

Good post. Lexi is gone. The know at the very least, they've got Saladino who can play short and hit about .230 over the course of a long season if Anderson isn't ready.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 03:44 PM)
Good post. Lexi is gone. The know at the very least, they've got Saladino who can play short and hit about .230 over the course of a long season if Anderson isn't ready.

Tim Anderson is not ready. They're actually doing a good job being patient with him at AA and he's rewarding them by improving his game. Continue that.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 02:40 PM)

Mark

Third base isn't that position anymore. It used to be and the top guys at third still are, but now it's a place where 10-15 homers and 50-70 RBIs is plenty.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 03:52 PM)
Third base isn't that position anymore. It used to be and the top guys at third still are, but now it's a place where 10-15 homers and 50-70 RBIs is plenty.

The average OPS in baseball among 3b is .747 this year. That's still 50 points higher than 2b and 75 points higher than SS. I just don't know if defense is enough to make up for Saladino's offense there if he's a .650-.700 OPS ish player...at least not on this roster unless there's someone else who is above average and actually producing runs.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 01:09 PM)
The average OPS in baseball among 3b is .747 this year. That's still 50 points higher than 2b and 75 points higher than SS. I just don't know if defense is enough to make up for Saladino's offense there if he's a .650-.700 OPS ish player...at least not on this roster unless there's someone else who is above average and actually producing runs.

I should be the last one using WAR but Saladino has already built up a .7 WAR in just 24 games ,most of it on defense but he's shown some power . If no one else is an upgrade defensibly and he can pop 10-15 HR's he'll be ok there.

I highly doubt Alexei will be gone. Just don't see it happening when they can't even rid themselves of Flowers when he was basically a non tender candidate .