White Sox @ Royals, 8/8/2015

Balta1701

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 07:17 PM)
Samardzija has 1 strikeout through 4 innings. He simply cannot win when he's not striking people out. It's not his game. He's been down on strikeouts all year and the teams that don't chase stuff beat him. The Royals aren't chasing stuff so they just need to wait for him to miss a few pitches or for something to drop in and suddenly they'll score. They know that.

Ya think this is why Oakland gave him up for a song? Maybe they knew that all those nasty sliders and splitters have slowly been shredding his right elbow, so it's a matter of time before his stuff is in decline.

This is where Fangraphs is hopelessly behind the curve. Samardja stuff is nothing like I remember it was in the 1st half of the season with the Cubs during interleague starts (even if nominal average velocity hasn't dropped off by much. )

His stuff is just flat and he is overthrowing the four-seamer in order to compensate --- which only hurts his control and/or tips his secondary offerings to the opposing hitters.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 07:20 PM)
Um...

For such an untouchable mega-guru that Don Cooper is portrayed as

his starters going back to Javy Vazquez through Gavid Floyd, Quintana, Shark, Danks, certainly seem to lose it mechanically/mentally as soon as those runners reach base

The pitching coach can't teach talent, velocity or natural (late) movement. But its basic job description to help the pitcher maintain focus, clean up the throwing motion and make sure the release point discrepancy doesn't tip the pitch off to the opposing hitter.

Notice any problems, at all? Maybe it's just me seeing things.

QUOTE (L. Ron Paultard @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 08:21 PM)
Ya think this is why Oakland gave him up for a song? Maybe they knew that all those nasty sliders and splitters have slowly been shredding his right elbow, so it's a matter of time before his stuff is in decline.

This is where Fangraphs is hopelessly behind the curve. Samardja stuff is nothing like I remember it was in the 1st half of the season with the Cubs during interleague starts (even if nominal average velocity hasn't dropped off by much. )

His stuff is just flat and he is overthrowing the four-seamer in order to compensate --- which only hurts his control and/or tips his secondary offerings to the opposing hitters.

They didn't. They got 4 "close to big league players" for him. I've been saying this the whole year - the comp pick for Samardzija has a ~75% chance of being "just about as good as 1 of the 4 players we gave up for Samardzija". When we complain about having no depth to replace players, we gave up our depth to get Samardzija. When he complain about not developing a catcher or so many other positions, we gave up those positions to get Samardzija. We didn't give up immediate all stars for him, but we gave up players who could be really good with some work. The fact that people buy into people saying "we didn't give up much for Samardzija" is a big part of the problem with this team - the organization is obsessed with big names and is willing to sacrifice a deep, solid roster in exchange for it. Even if a big name doens't make up for weaknesses at other spots.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 05:26 PM)
They didn't. They got 4 "close to big league players" for him. I've been saying this the whole year - the comp pick for Samardzija has a ~75% chance of being "just about as good as 1 of the 4 players we gave up for Samardzija". When we complain about having no depth to replace players, we gave up our depth to get Samardzija. When he complain about not developing a catcher or so many other positions, we gave up those positions to get Samardzija. We didn't give up immediate all stars for him, but we gave up players who could be really good with some work. The fact that people buy into people saying "we didn't give up much for Samardzija" is a big part of the problem with this team - the organization is obsessed with big names and is willing to sacrifice a deep, solid roster in exchange for it. Even if a big name doens't make up for weaknesses at other spots.

I think we gave up 4 players that might be lower end major leaguers.. Semien won't be anything special, Phegley is a backup C, Ravelo is a light hitting 1st baseman in the minors and Bassit is a back rotation starter.. the comp pick could end up being a star or another one of them or no one

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 9, 2015 -> 01:28 AM)
Clearly Robin's fault Soto got picke off. My bad.

Not his fault, but when the team consistently makes Little League-caliber mistakes, it's a lot easier to replace one guy than 25.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 07:16 PM)
I cannot believe there are Sox fans that want to sign Samardzija. I'm counting the days until his departure. :lol:

I don't think it's matter of what Sox fans want or don't want.

Truth of the matter is: Sox could never afford Samardja in a long-term deal. If he had a top-5 Cy Young kind of 2015, then he someone would have paid upwards of 150 mill for his services which is just crazy even for rich organizations.

But now with this mediocre season? The asking price is going to drop to "only" 100 million. But that's an even worse deal because I am seriously question how good Shark's elbow is feeling after all those notoriously elbow-stressful splitters & sliders.

I'll take my chances on Erik Johnson reclamation project, and hopefully on Montas, Spencer Adams longer term.... at league minimum. Plus draft compensation pick. No offense, Jeff.

QUOTE (L. Ron Paultard @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 07:31 PM)
I don't think it's matter of what Sox fans want or don't want.

Truth of the matter is: Sox could never afford Samardja in a long-term deal. If he had a top-5 Cy Young kind of 2015, then he someone would have paid upwards of 150 mill for his services which is just crazy even for rich organizations.

But now with this mediocre season? The asking price is going to drop to "only" 100 million. But that's an even worse deal because I am seriously question how good Shark's elbow is feeling after all those notoriously elbow-stressful splitters & sliders.

I'll take my chances on Erik Johnson reclamation project, and hopefully on Montas, Spencer Adams longer term.... at league minimum. Plus draft compensation pick. No offense, Jeff.

I do not care what he wants ...........PASS

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 9, 2015 -> 01:30 AM)
Please tell me what you wanted Hahn to do this off season, please.

Not use a significant amount of resources on a team that had far too many holes to buy players. I never thought Samardzija was a good fit at all. He should have never gone into the season counting on Noesi and Conor.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 07:30 PM)
Not his fault, but when the team consistently makes Little League-caliber mistakes, it's a lot easier to replace one guy than 25.

Which is the dumbest argument you can make, if it isn't his fault, how is replacing him going to mean different results?

You don't fire your accountant beccause your landscaper does a crappy job on your lawn.

Get the bullpen up. Maybe we just need to pull this clown when he starts walking everyone and getting smashed and he will wake up. It's almost like he wanted to get traded so he'd get a chance to win and lose the QO and now he is acting like a little b**** since he had to stay

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 9, 2015 -> 12:32 AM)
Which is the dumbest argument you can make, if it isn't his fault, how is replacing him going to mean different results?

You don't fire your accountant beccause your landscaper does a crappy job on your lawn.

Because I want to see if someone else can get them to play smarter than this pathetic team.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 07:32 PM)
Not use a significant amount of resources on a team that had far too many holes to buy players. I never thought Samardzija was a good fit at all. He should have never gone into the season counting on Noesi and Conor.

Ok, how were you going to improve the club then? Ones showed decent stuff last year to earn that 5th starter spot until Rodon came up.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 07:26 PM)

It's not quantity of prospects but their QUALITY/pedigree.

Chris Bassett is not a long-term major league starter, don't let early run fool you. Dylan Axelrod had some nice innings early on, too.

Semian hit a few April homers, and since then absolutely nothing special.

And that catcher who can't catch?

Haha, are you kidding? Do you know what relatively, seemingly low-miliage, hard-throwing, "charismatic" starters like Samardja have historically commanded? Basset who?