8/9 at KC Royals

flavum

QUOTE (muddywolfjohnson @ Aug 9, 2015 -> 04:29 PM)
Man, what a heartbreaker this series was...

That's the Sox I remember.

October 2005 is all the more magical is because who UNcharacteristic it was for this franchise -- everything went our way.

And please can we put away this silly "sabermetric" notion that Jose Quintana is somehow "terribly unlucky". No, that guy is a loser pitching out of the stretch. A talented loser, but a loser nonetheless. You could see it a mile away.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the quote thing is off?

QUOTE (Caulfield @ Aug 9, 2015 -> 11:12 AM)
Is this going to be a typical Sox game where if things go well in the first inning, they easily win. But if Quintana gives up a bleeder or a blooper or defensive lets him down, he falls apart pitching out of the stretch? Oh and Mr. Ventura, Please no more wire-bunting ever!, outs are kinda important in baseball.

Not sure who you're talking about exactly, but a a 'Libertarian-Scientologist' or whatever? Not sure if ever been call that before.

Sometimes I do like to be a Slavic mail-bride, tho. Help me out here, brah, how should the ad start exactly:

"Have gazongas, will travel"

"Turn-ons: shiny things. Krokodil

Turnoffs: middle-aged American beergut on Sealis"?

I'll try to check back in a few years again, but admitedly being a pretend-whore if only for a few hypothetical moments was teh bezzzzangle!.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Aug 9, 2015 -> 04:16 PM)
Hahn should've blew this team up when he had the chance to. This is NOT a playoff team.

Nah, you know what? In life, it's always better to be a fun-loving optimist.

2007 Colorado Rockies won everything late September against all odds. "WHY NOT US!"

2010 Minnesota Twins led by, like, 59 year old Jim Thome won everything in the 2nd half. "WHY NOT US!"

2011 Tampa & St. Louis each had the most improbable comeback in history. "WHY NOT US!"

2013 Cleveland Indians won everything in late September and the Red Sox out of nowehere won the WS.... "WHY NOT US!"

2014 KC Royals aka the Laughing Stock of baseball for some 20 straight years... end up within 1 out of the Title..... "WHY NOT US!"

Giants were a big joke for 6 decades since moving West. Then they win 3 WS in only 5 years.

Ok collectively the Sox circa 2015 may be about as graceful as this ostentatious duderino

but all the same, we clearly got the Wild Card spot where we want it, stealth-Elf style

WHY NOT US!!!!!

Glass half full: the Sox were in every game. It's just typical of the season so far, finding ways to lose rather than finding ways to win. Royals find a way to win because they believe they are good enough to win a WS. Again, I'll take a .500 season. Get Sale and Shark back on track (do your f***ing job, Cooper) and there's a very good chance of that happening. Needle would be pointing up heading into next season. The most enjoyable part of this 2nd half so far has been the notion that Jeff Samardzija would somehow of brought a king's ransom in return for a trade. I do enjoy reading the lamentations of ST posters convinced that our farm system would somehow have been STOCKED by that trade to (?). Sox gambled and possibly lost. That's what they do, they roll the dice. But if they don't find a way to start winning in the next few weeks, it won't be a debilitating loss.

Edited by The Ginger Kid

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 9, 2015 -> 09:32 PM)
Any real emotion for this team went out the window for me when McEwing sent Alexei home last week. That was the nail in the coffin.

Exactly. At that moment I gave up for good.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 9, 2015 -> 11:21 PM)
Glass half full: the Sox were in every game. It's just typical of the season so far, finding ways to lose rather than finding ways to win. Royals find a way to win because they believe they are good enough to win a WS. Again, I'll take a .500 season. Get Sale and Shark back on track (do your f***ing job, Cooper) and there's a very good chance of that happening. Needle would be pointing up heading into next season. The most enjoyable part of this 2nd half so far has been the notion that Jeff Samardzija would somehow of brought a king's ransom in return for a trade. I do enjoy reading the lamentations of ST posters convinced that our farm system would somehow have been STOCKED by that trade to (?). Sox gambled and possibly lost. That's what they do, they roll the dice. But if they don't find a way to start winning in the next few weeks, it won't be a debilitating loss.

Glass half empty here.

First of all, you are wrong about Shark's trade value. If we would have traded him when I was calling for it (during one of those horrific streaks the team had in May or June, I forget) we'd have gotten a LOT for Shark. He was pitching well at one point. Teams were scouting him and he was doing well. Sox waited and now he's a total hack and worthless. If anybody pays him over 8 mill a year for 3-4 years they are nutso. He's just another body. Maybe a slightly above average pitcher ... maybe.

Good luck getting your .500 season. I think Melky's clownlike behavior proves Sox heads are not in the game (Soto's baserunning). How come the Bulls can get rid of a great coach like thibs and the Sox can't pull the trigger on a lousy coaching staff and get rid of Robin?? Makes no sense.

GIMME GARDY. GIMME A VETERAN MANAGER.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 9, 2015 -> 08:08 PM)
Exactly. At that moment I gave up for good.

Glass half empty here.

First of all, you are wrong about Shark's trade value. If we would have traded him when I was calling for it (during one of those horrific streaks the team had in May or June, I forget) we'd have gotten a LOT for Shark. He was pitching well at one point. Teams were scouting him and he was doing well. Sox waited and now he's a total hack and worthless. If anybody pays him over 8 mill a year for 3-4 years they are nutso. He's just another body. Maybe a slightly above average pitcher ... maybe.

Good luck getting your .500 season. I think Melky's clownlike behavior proves Sox heads are not in the game (Soto's baserunning). How come the Bulls can get rid of a great coach like thibs and the Sox can't pull the trigger on a lousy coaching staff and get rid of Robin?? Makes no sense.

GIMME GARDY. GIMME A VETERAN MANAGER.

Man greg, for someone who calls Danks a good a** pitcher it sure is silly to say Shark is MAYBE an above average pitcher. Most hear know I love Danks too, so don't get me twisted. Danks is good 66% of the time whereas Shark is good 75% of time (just throwing random numbers out there). If you think Jeff is maybe slightly above average then there's no way you should think Danks is anything more than average.

Your obsession with Melky's clown like behavior is also silly to me. Look at the teams like KC, San Fran, the Boston team that won the WS, Detroit with Miggy others. They all had fun and "Acted like clowns". That's huge to me, baseball is a longgggg grind, if you're not having fun out there, you're doing it wrong.

Gimme a manager who is gonna keep players loose. That's all I care about. Let the hitting coach deal with the hitting and the pitching coach deal with the pitching.

The only gripe i have with Robin is the long rope he has given LaRoach. I kinda get it because if he ever gets hot he can carry a team but it just doesn't look like its gonna happen

QUOTE (L. Ron Paultard @ Aug 9, 2015 -> 05:09 PM)
Greg,

1. I don't care about most hitters. Adam Eaton was paid to be an elite lead-off hitter on a team with Championship aspirations. I hold him to that standard.

2. In a steroid Era, the teams that win are the ones who put up a lot of what's known as "crooked numbers". Lead-off hitter is arguably the most important hitter -- not just to start games off, but in every INNING -- that is, if you want to amass this quaint little thing called "a rally". Most pitchers hate lead-off hitter reaching base, doesn't matter if its via a rocket to LF, or a bleeder through the right side or via the HBP.

If nothing else, defense has to come on, which opens up a big hole esp. on the Right side of the infield. Suddenly the next batter hitting a weak grounder, and instead of 2 out, noone on, you've got 1st/3rd, no outs and the pitching coach sweating..... On top of that, when someone who is as fast and as aggressive as Eaton is on base to distract the pitcher, the latter's mechanics and focus can sometimes go to crap -- which leads to, say, an overthrown breaking ball hang over the heart of the plate. Before you know it, you got a 3-run HR.

3. a 3-2 count is in some ways more difficult to hit in than 2-2 count. At 2-2, someone like Eaton knows he needs to protect the plate, it removes any kind of "thinking". Whereas on 3-2, Eaton is conflicted. On the one hand, he loves to hit HR. On the other, he is so close to taking a Walk and being in a position where he can show off his speed on the pads. "What's a Spanky to do!". haha.

So on 3-2, sometimes you will see a hitter hesitate if only momentarily -- and in a sport where 50 milliseconds are everything, that barely perceptible motor delay, is enough for a hitter to jam himself on a borderline fastball.

Incidentally, this is why the elite pitchers seem to have an ability to handle 3-ball counts better than their peers. They just throw a sinker or a cutter on the corner, and since the hitter is a hair too hesitant and yet doesn't want to take Strike-3 looking.... the batter will basically jam himself.

Bottomline, Spanky needs to be on base 40% of the time and shrink his stike zone as much as possible with 2 strikes. His OBP is disproportionately important to Sox success during any kind of winning streak, it's not a coincidence. Yes, Adam Eaten had a reputation in Arizona system as being able to put on a HR show in batting-practice for such a seemingly small guy, but in real games, in a pennant race, I don't give a crap about his predilections.

Just get on da base, Adam. duuuh derpity mcDerp

There are 14 White Sox players who will make more than Adam Eaton this season. He does make a little more than Shuck does. Eaton will eventually make money as his contract goes on. But he signed for $23 M/5 which is far from Elite. Now Ellsbury's $153M/7 for example is Elite

Edited by SCCWS

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 9, 2015 -> 07:26 PM)
Man greg, for someone who calls Danks a good a** pitcher it sure is silly to say Shark is MAYBE an above average pitcher. Most hear know I love Danks too, so don't get me twisted. Danks is good 66% of the time whereas Shark is good 75% of time (just throwing random numbers out there). If you think Jeff is maybe slightly above average then there's no way you should think Danks is anything more than average.

Your obsession with Melky's clown like behavior is also silly to me. Look at the teams like KC, San Fran, the Boston team that won the WS, Detroit with Miggy others. They all had fun and "Acted like clowns". That's huge to me, baseball is a longgggg grind, if you're not having fun out there, you're doing it wrong.

Gimme a manager who is gonna keep players loose. That's all I care about. Let the hitting coach deal with the hitting and the pitching coach deal with the pitching.

The only gripe i have with Robin is the long rope he has given LaRoach. I kinda get it because if he ever gets hot he can carry a team but it just doesn't look like its gonna happen

It's a new generation of baseball. These guys chat and have fun. I don't have an issue as long as he's producing.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 10, 2015 -> 01:26 AM)

Thanks. Great post! You are probably right about my comments. I guess I'd say Danks is an average pitcher and Shark an above average pitcher. OK, in today's market I'd say he's worth more like 13-15 million a year over 5 years (I sure hope the Sox don't sign him) than the 20-25 million a year he's going to get. That's just stupid. Granted, he pitched very well at times and may just be in a little funk.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Aug 10, 2015 -> 01:43 AM)
It's a new generation of baseball. These guys chat and have fun. I don't have an issue as long as he's producing.

I'll probably get off my angry kick now that the Sox are done getting whipped by the Royals again (damn I made the smart call in turning down those free tickets Sat and Sunday though Sat's tickets were REALLY good ones and free; and it was a perfect night for ball; i just couldnt stand the though of being with 3 royals fans and me the lone sox fan; you see I KNEW 100 percent we were gonna get swept).

As far as the Melk-ster ... I don't remember Melky being this clown-ish before the Royals series. Maybe he was yukking it up with his former teammates more than usual. But it did piss me off. It seems like you need to concentrate more. Maybe he is concentrating since he did lash the game-tying hit. Maybe he concentrates at the plate then acts buffoon-ish only when he is safely on first or second or third. I'll probably get over that, but since the Royals announcers brought it up (I had to listen to them on radio since I had some work to do) as clownish it even made me more mad than normal.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 9, 2015 -> 06:08 PM)
First of all, you are wrong about Shark's trade value. If we would have traded him when I was calling for it (during one of those horrific streaks the team had in May or June, I forget) we'd have gotten a LOT for Shark.

Yes, you're right. The Sox should've traded the guy they traded for in the off season 2-3 months into this season. Packing it in back in May/June would've been the way to go. Then his 3-4 month rental price would've brought a friggin boatload of prospects.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 10, 2015 -> 03:02 AM)
Yes, you're right. The Sox should've traded the guy they traded for in the off season 2-3 months into this season. Packing it in back in May/June would've been the way to go. Then his 3-4 month rental price would've brought a friggin boatload of prospects.

At least 3 weeks before trade deadline. Most people figured the team was ridiculously bad and that would have brought us a haul.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 9, 2015 -> 10:28 PM)
At least 3 weeks before trade deadline. Most people figured the team was ridiculously bad and that would have brought us a haul.

He threw a 3 hit shutout against Toronto his last start before the All Star break. There were reportedly c. 15 scouts watching. That was his apex of value.

As far as the Melk-ster ... I don't remember Melky being this clown-ish before the Royals series. Maybe he was yukking it up with his former teammates more than usual. But it did piss me off. It seems like you need to concentrate more. Maybe he is concentrating since he did lash the game-tying hit. Maybe he concentrates at the plate then acts buffoon-ish only when he is safely on first or second or third. I'll probably get over that, but since the Royals announcers brought it up (I had to listen to them on radio since I had some work to do) as clownish it even made me more mad than normal.

I get it. He was doing this s*** before this series. I haven't watched a lot this season but starting with the Cleveland series, I've been watching. He was clowning around a lot then too. If you're playing well I don't mind too much. These guys do it. Watch Miggy.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 9, 2015 -> 11:32 PM)
Any real emotion for this team went out the window for me when McEwing sent Alexei home last week. That was the nail in the coffin.

When Soto was tagged between 2nd and 3rd while attempting to steal with Abreu at bat. That was quite a kick in the nuts/guts!

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 10, 2015 -> 03:02 AM)

it is all hindsight now, if the main boss, the owner, does not want to, they will not do the trade.