2015-2016 NBA Thread

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That report sounds nothing like Derrick Rose... meaning he doesn't seem like that type of person. He could f*** almost any girl he wants, so I don't know why he'd be so fixated on getting to this girl on so many occasions after repeated refusals.

Edited by Jose Abreu

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 08:57 PM)
Not going to get on another soapbox, but stop. Just because you have seem him do courtside interviews and seen him play for the Bulls doesn't mean you know a thing about him, or any other athlete. None of us do.

I especially hate the whole "These guys could bang any chick they want to, they don't need to rape someone." It's that sort of entitled attitude that can lead to this sort of thing (if true).

Can you at least acknowledge that him drugging her, her leaving, and him subsequently breaking into her room seems far-fetched? I'm not saying he's 100% innocent, but I think she'll have a hard time winning this case.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 09:02 PM)
100%. And there is a good chance it's a money grab, like similar cases in the past have been.

I'm just really annoyed by the victim shaming that goes on in these cases, as well as the pedestal that our favorite athletes get put on in times like these. I love watching Patrick Kane play. DRose is the most important piece for the Bulls in the near future. That doesn't mean these guys aren't capable of horrible, brutal, awful things. And just because they wear our favorite jerseys doesn't mean the accuser is automatically in the wrong.

I agree. I honestly think Kane may be guilty, and I'm a huge Blackhawks fan. But for some reason, when I saw this, I just instantly thought "bulls***.".

This definitely has less of an appearance of legitimacy than Kane's and many others, but TMZ has a way of making things appear a little sensational.

As for the "[person] can have anyone he wants, why would he rape?" business, it's a bit more complicated than that. There are a lot of reasons someone might rape, but one of them is going to be a feeling of entitlement, which we know athletes tend to have. They will feel entitled to have sex with someone, feeling most compelled to do so when they have been rejected. It's arrogance, callousness, power.

Again, I'll wait to hear more on the Rose thing. Sounds horrifying if true, but also sounds improbable logistically speaking. Might not be described accurately, though.

Obviously can't be simply dismissed, but TMZ's reporting just makes it sound very...fishy?

According to this report he'd have been dating her at the same time as Meika Reese, who he seems to be on pretty good terms with still. If someone broke into her apartment, then there'd be a lot of evidence. And it's a civil suit, not a criminal one.

As for the whole "they can get anyone they want" argument, it's stupid. Rape is much, much more complicated than that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 08:15 AM)
That is what I am saying. There is nothing about a criminal investigation, police involvement etc happening first, instead straight to a lawsuit.

Yep. This would appear much different then the Kane case and fact going straight to civil suit makes it even more shady and indicative of a money grab. However, none of us know Rose personally so you never know. I sure hope it isn't true.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 10:51 AM)
Yep. This would appear much different then the Kane case and fact going straight to civil suit makes it even more shady and indicative of a money grab. However, none of us know Rose personally so you never know. I sure hope it isn't true.

100 percent how I feel on the whole thing. Seems like a money grab but none of us know, I obviously hope it isn't true.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 10:51 AM)

At the very least it throws up a red flag that the Kane incident doesn't have. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, but it changes the perspective for sure.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 09:02 PM)
100%. And there is a good chance it's a money grab, like similar cases in the past have been.

I'm just really annoyed by the victim shaming that goes on in these cases, as well as the pedestal that our favorite athletes get put on in times like these. I love watching Patrick Kane play. DRose is the most important piece for the Bulls in the near future. That doesn't mean these guys aren't capable of horrible, brutal, awful things. And just because they wear our favorite jerseys doesn't mean the accuser is automatically in the wrong.

Victim shaming happens because not all accused of rape actually rape someone. Here's someone Rose had sex with for 2 years, and suddenly he drugs her, but not well enough that she can't leave his place and get home safely. Then it hits her, and she can't defend herself and DRose and his people break into her place to rape her. No one would buy this in a movie.

And then, after suffering for a couple of years, decides to sue.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 01:05 PM)
Victim shaming happens because not all accused of rape actually rape someone. Here's someone Rose had sex with for 2 years, and suddenly he drugs her, but not well enough that she can't leave his place and get home safely. Then it hits her, and she can't defend herself and DRose and his people break into her place to rape her. No one would buy this in a movie.

And then, after suffering for a couple of years, decides to sue.

For the record, it is not at all uncommon for rape victims to wait long stretches of time to report. They often are afraid of backlash, being shamed/disbelieved by family, and myriad other things.

While I agree the story sounds a bit outrageous, I did realize that as worded it sounds as if she is saying her friend drove her home. I'd say she has virtually no chance of proving guilt based on what we've heard, but it is not absolutely impossible that there is guilt. For me, trying to evaluate the claims, the part that seems off to me is seeking the civil suit. With that said, if there's no evidence, then I suppose a true victim still wouldn't try in criminal court.

I think it's also worth saying that if accuser is some kind of monster making things up, why make it up this way? Why not a more believable version of events?

Yeah...that sounds really bad. No idea what kind of proof exists but I presume she has a lot of the messages that go with that stuff. I was going to say, one reason I would never say never (aside from the fact that we don't know Rose) is that he doesn't exactly strike you as someone who surrounds himself with the best and the brightest. You would think his brother would have been all over him about stuff like this and would be smarter (since he is the cash train). If rose did this, I hope he loses everything and rots in prison.