2015-2016 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 01:33 PM)
Pretty sure it was 3 of the 5 starters wanted Thibs gone with Jimmy and Pau in the Thibs gone camp, Rose in the keep Thibs camp and don't know where Dunleavy/Noah fell.

It was something like that. But good job Bulls. Poll your players about the coach and let the public know how they "voted". They need to pay Pau the $20 million a year because apparently he is also the GM and Gar/Pax are election judges.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 12:41 PM)
Where did this "Butler" turned on Thibs notion come from? I had it on pretty good record last year (not necessarily the end of the season so maybe something happened in the playoffs that set him off) that Butler absolutely loved Thibs.

On the other hand, Bernstein is coming out and indicating Butler does not respect Hoiberg. Taj also had some comments last week, which made it sound like he didn't respect Hoiberg. This is the Taj who has always been perceived as nothing but class (and I know that Taj loved Thibs...knew a guy that coached Taj during summers and Taj would rave about Thibs).

It sounded like Butler was pretty anti Hoiberg at the deadline. Is this a Butler issue (if he turned on two coaches, I'd say maybe, but like I said, I had never heard about Jimmy not liking Thibs and it was widely reported that the two had dinner on a few different occasions after Thibs had already been fired (which to me made it pretty clear he respected Thibs). Oh and when Jimmy threw Hoiberg under the bus to coach harder, one of the items he was directly quoted saying was Thibs mantra.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/02/16/ber...m_content=10093

It was widely reported that Jimmy turned on Thibs last year. But this IS a Jimmy issue more than anything else as far as the coaches go.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 12:09 PM)
It was widely reported that Jimmy turned on Thibs last year. But this IS a Jimmy issue more than anything else as far as the coaches go.

There were some leaks out of the Bulls org, that I don't believe. Like I said, unless something came up in the postseason, I had it on pretty good record that Butler was deep in support of Thibs. It was clear after the post-season that there were some things that changed, but I think a lot of that was just the players eventually acquiescing that they were tired of being caught in the middle of two children (Gar & Thibs). The actions of Jimmy after Thibs was let go and some of the comments he has made more recently are further evidence of that, imo.

I think Noah, Rose and Jimmy eventually being on board was more to do with the fact that they couldn't change the GM and they knew as "toxic" as things had gotten that something had to be fixed. Unfortunately, Bulls ownership sided with the wrong guy in Gar.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 07:23 PM)
I think the Bulls leaked something that indicated Butler wanted Thibs gone at the end of last year. I do know they had dinner together after he was waxed.

I don't know if Hoiberg will be a good coach or not, but his hiring is an exact replica of the Tim Floyd hiring. Both Iowa State. Both known to get the job months in advance. Both GMs making it seem like there will be an exhaustive search to find the right guy, and in the end the GM hires their buddy, and in reality really screws him over. Floyd had no chance with the garbage he had. Despite Gar calling his roster a championship roster, it's not close, making Hoiberg look incompetent. They will spin injuries, but those apparently were on the coach in previous seasons.

I would have respected Gar at least a little bit if he would have just said, Thibs is a great coach, I just don't like the guy so I am firing him. Not all the high school type garbage they did. Maybe they should do the same with Gar.

bingo.... that is on the dime in my opinion.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 07:33 PM)
Pretty sure it was 3 of the 5 starters wanted Thibs gone with Jimmy and Pau in the Thibs gone camp, Rose in the keep Thibs camp and don't know where Dunleavy/Noah fell.

wow, i really didn't know that, i was wrong in whom i thought it was.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 07:52 PM)
Apparently there are still rumors that Bulls are going after DeMarcus Cousins

Sacramento's not trading Cousins. Divac & the rest of the front office see him as the cornerstone of the franchise. You're more likely to see Karl get fired first.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 01:54 PM)
Sorry DBAHO, you are stuck with Jennings now

I've got mixed thoughts on this deal, even though most people are calling it a win for Detroit.

Been able to watch Harris this season with the NBA League Pass, and he's definitely gone backwards from where he was last season.

His 3PT% is down, not scoring as much, and he's a real tweener, I don't see him being able to play as a stretch 4, because he's pretty average defensively.

So even with a rising cap next season, I don't think he's worth the $16M a season he gets, and I'd rather give that money (but hopefully not all of it) to Evan Fournier in the off-season, and more playing to Hezonja going forward.

Now as for what we got, it's a pretty average return. But Jennings and Ilyasova have both played under Skiles before and done decently, so hopefully they'll improve. And we really need a backup PG in the worst way, CJ Watson has been injured all season, and Shabazz Napier is horrible, hell we had to play Hezonja as a backup PG for a while.

I would have preferred to hang onto Harris to the off-season to try and use him to get a Blake Griffin etc., but Orlando ownership apparently has a mandate to make the playoffs this season, so Hennigan is making a deal to help in the short-term, and they're both potential expiring contracts as well.

Woj is reporting Channing Frye is heading to the Clippers for Lance Stephenson, CJ Wilcox and a 2nd rounder if they can't pull off a larger deal by Wednesday.

Orlando's going to waive Stephenson straight afterwards as well.

I wonder if he'll head back to Indiana actually if that's the case. Probably makes sense for both parties.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 09:21 AM)
Steve Kyler was on MUlly and Hanley toady and seems to think Joe Johnson ends up in Chicago after he gets bought out.

They are buying him out this season? Or was he talking about in the offseason?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 09:33 AM)
I kind of hate that deal.

Everytime I see Rudy Gay's name, I think of Rick Majerus on ESPN discussing the draft. When he said "I am not a big Gay guy", he cracked up the entire set. Watching them try not to laugh was hysterical.

Edited by Dick Allen

I think Gay is one of the more underappreciated NBA players, but his contract reduces a lot of the clubs flexibility. Clearly though, he significantly upgrades a position of need and he isn't near as old as I thought he was. Can the Bulls get more out of McLemore then the Kings?

Of all the pieces, I hate the idea of giving up Mirotic, mainly because I feel we are selling him at a low, but I also have often said we need to dump him.

I will say, when I saw the Bulls were talking about moving Taj to Toronto for a worse player to save money, I couldn't help but laugh. It seems like Gar's new plan is to make us the softest team in the league. It started when we pushed Noah to the bench (for a soft Niko) and this would continue to do so (really taking away our two best defensive players, Noah and Gibson).

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 08:28 AM)
Why would the Kings do this?

Totally makes sense for the Kings. They get a young, far more useable piece. They want nothing to do with McLemore and Gay isn't pushing them over the top. I presume they also feel that Niko and Doug could provide nice spacing for Cousins.