2015-2016 NBA Thread

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 11:20 AM)
so how many more years will be the bulls be hot garbage? 5 minimum?

Realistically I think that's the window, maybe 3 years if they can get lucky.

Next year they're still stuck with Rose and there are very few FA's out there that would significantly improve the team. I think the rebuild begins when/if Rose is traded or is allowed to walk. Problem is, after that, who's the big marquee FA? Westbrook maybe? But he could go anywhere, and there's the possibility he stays in OKC with Durant. Anyone else is just a slight upgrade, not a championship contender move.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 11:20 AM)

A lot depends on this off season, and how far they decide to go with trading away players. If they go as far as Butler, and get a big package back, they can shorten that period of time up a lot. If they only window dress, this could be post-Jordan era.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 04:51 PM)

Next year they're still stuck with Rose and there are very few FA's out there that would significantly improve the team. I think the rebuild begins when/if Rose is traded or is allowed to walk. Problem is, after that, who's the big marquee FA? Westbrook maybe? But he could go anywhere, and there's the possibility he stays in OKC with Durant. Anyone else is just a slight upgrade, not a championship contender move.

i think you are pretty close.

understanding, the bull will still have rose on the season, next yr.

trade what they can and for draft picks and/or young players. in other words, build a new core.

regulate rose as a backup in the planning, if he is healthy he starts in not, have someone else who will be the bulls future.

do not plan plays for rose.

get and make smart draft pick, as in rebuilding.

need a new young core, who will not be influence with the negativity of yrs past excuses. build or let the young group build around Fred H....

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 09:20 AM)

Hard to say. I don't know what direction they are going. Having a player like Jimmy Butler should help as does cap space. Things can change in a hurry given FA.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 09:57 AM)
A lot depends on this off season, and how far they decide to go with trading away players. If they go as far as Butler, and get a big package back, they can shorten that period of time up a lot. If they only window dress, this could be post-Jordan era.

Fundementally the question is does trading Jimmy speed up or slow down the process. I think having a guy like Butler who is affordable, etc. and is top 15 in the league speeds up the process. You get rid of him and you start completely from scratch vs. having him to potentially help attract another star. If there is one thing we've learned recently, you better have some good players if you plan on getting a FA and you have to hope those players want to play with your star (Jimmy seems like a guy more likely to recruit, etc, but whether his reputation is tarnished this year or not, who knows).

One thing for certain, Jimmy has elevated his game every single year in the league and I can see him self reflecting and putting not only more effort into the physical game but working hard on figuring out what went wrong and what he needs to do to be a better leader and that answer might just be solved by bringing in more young guys who only know jimmy as a star and will see how hard he works despite being a star and how hard he worked to get there and thus him doing his thing is really and truly leading by example. It seems like guys like Dougie have seen what Jimmy does and realize how hard you have to work to make it in this league (and that is a good example and a great quality of a leader).

I am pretty against moving Buckets unless you get blown away. His cap number is so cheap given the rising cap, etc.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 01:09 PM)
Fundementally the question is does trading Jimmy speed up or slow down the process. I think having a guy like Butler who is affordable, etc. and is top 15 in the league speeds up the process. You get rid of him and you start completely from scratch vs. having him to potentially help attract another star. If there is one thing we've learned recently, you better have some good players if you plan on getting a FA and you have to hope those players want to play with your star (Jimmy seems like a guy more likely to recruit, etc, but whether his reputation is tarnished this year or not, who knows).

One thing for certain, Jimmy has elevated his game every single year in the league and I can see him self reflecting and putting not only more effort into the physical game but working hard on figuring out what went wrong and what he needs to do to be a better leader and that answer might just be solved by bringing in more young guys who only know jimmy as a star and will see how hard he works despite being a star and how hard he worked to get there and thus him doing his thing is really and truly leading by example. It seems like guys like Dougie have seen what Jimmy does and realize how hard you have to work to make it in this league (and that is a good example and a great quality of a leader).

I am pretty against moving Buckets unless you get blown away. His cap number is so cheap given the rising cap, etc.

Reading between the lines of what was said last night, I think they know that one of Butler or Rose is going. Butler is the only one with any value at all in my eyes, which means it is going to be him.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 04:51 PM)

i do not know about this... the fa signing part.

whether rose leaves or is traded or is still on the team, i do not know if the bulls will attract any notable Fa's.

i think the players around the league is fully aware on the dysfunctional setup of the bulls FO and a rookie or less then experience coach.

would any really sign on for that??

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 01:11 PM)
Reading between the lines of what was said last night, I think they know that one of Butler or Rose is going. Butler is the only one with any value at all in my eyes, which means it is going to be him.

Why saddle yourself to a guy that hasn't played a full season or looked All-Star caliber in about 4 years? Butler is a keeper. He's on a long term team friendly contract. He's an all-star quality player. What you get back has no guarantee of being on that level. And the Bulls don't need more "ok" players. They need all-star guys. Giving up on the only one you have would be dumb.

I think Rose has some value, particularly to teams that need a marketable star. I wonder if you could "give" him away to the Lakers.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 07:44 PM)
Why saddle yourself to a guy that hasn't played a full season or looked All-Star caliber in about 4 years? Butler is a keeper. He's on a long term team friendly contract. He's an all-star quality player. What you get back has no guarantee of being on that level. And the Bulls don't need more "ok" players. They need all-star guys. Giving up on the only one you have would be dumb.

I think Rose has some value, particularly to teams that need a marketable star. I wonder if you could "give" him away to the Lakers.

let me ask this question, do you think butler will buy in for Fred and his way of coaching?? was butler one of those that talked to the press about fred??

the answer is, who knows, but he is signed into a contract.

that being said, maybe, just maybe it will be better to build a team around the way fred coach with smart draft picks and let them grow together.

the main uncertainty is, can fa's, good fa's sign and help???

Edited by LDF

Bulls far and away the worst front office in Chicago.

No contest.

Last night was the epitome of who the Bulls are. After watching that, we can now understand what goes through free agents minds as they sit across from those two clowns and arrogant (and uninvolved) reinsdorf.

QUOTE (ozzfest @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 08:37 PM)
Bulls far and away the worst front office in Chicago.

No contest.

Last night was the epitome of who the Bulls are. After watching that, we can now understand what goes through free agents minds as they sit across from those two clowns and arrogant (and uninvolved) reinsdorf.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 08:46 PM)
Sooooo Gar... I really hope that press conference was a joke. He needs to be f***ing fired right f***ing now!

nice. i like it.

:cheers :lol:

:notworthy

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 01:11 PM)
Butler is the only one with any value at all in my eyes, which means it is going to be him.

Jimmy Buckets rubs them the wrong way, like Thibs. Criticized Hoiberg in the media and Paxson: "I played with the greatest player in the game. You didn’t hear him talking about leadership. You had him showing leadership."

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 11:11 AM)

Rose is expiring, his value is freeing up the cap space plus potentially a pick. Rose got better and better as the season went on. Given where the cap is, they can move him and cap space is a valuable asset.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 11:44 AM)

I agree with everything in this post and I still think you can get a pick (or young player) for Rose plus cap space. Top 5 pick, no, young star player, no, but something that could turn into a quality asset (to go with cap space).

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 05:21 PM)
Personally, I'm looking to package Jimmy and get his ass out of Chicago as quickly as possible. I know it's not the popular route and I know it's not going to be the one The Bulls go down but that's where I'd go.

Well that's one way to put Chicago as a lottery team for years to come and probably allow us to never sign a quality FA, not that it has happened in a long time.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 10:21 PM)
Personally, I'm looking to package Jimmy and get his ass out of Chicago as quickly as possible. I know it's not the popular route and I know it's not going to be the one The Bulls go down but that's where I'd go.

i am really wondering how much value butler has.... i mean i have a tendency to overvalue the chi players.

another thought will be, i wonder if the lakers will be interested, considering butler has a partial interest in some company run by a partial owner or something.

There's something relatively reassuring when it looks like Paxson is taking charge. He at least knows how to appear competent and seems like he isn't a huge fan of pulling punches, at least when he's put on the spot.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 15, 2016 -> 01:07 AM)
There's something relatively reassuring when it looks like Paxson is taking charge. He at least knows how to appear competent and seems like he isn't a huge fan of pulling punches, at least when he's put on the spot.

for this debate, then why was he standing on the sidelines or why did he allow all this b/s to happen... self preservation?

for me, he too needs to go, for the above reasoning.

but the reality of that, no-one from the fo will be fired.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 08:08 PM)
That 30 for 30 episode with the Magic was great. People to this day forget how good Penny Hardaway was. A damn shame injuries derailed his career. He and Shaq as Shaq put it "Were Shaq and Kobe before Shaq and Kobe."

What was worse, Rose's injuries or Pennies? I'd argue Rose's but Penny had Shaq so who knows what that would have turned into. I still think Bulls win a title the year Rose went down. He was so f***ing good pre-injury. Was watching highlights of old Rose last night and I forgot just how f***ing nasty he was. So aggressive, so much killer instinct. Made me realize just how much his regression is due to his mental regression / fear vs. physical loss.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 15, 2016 -> 03:08 AM)
That 30 for 30 episode with the Magic was great. People to this day forget how good Penny Hardaway was. A damn shame injuries derailed his career. He and Shaq as Shaq put it "Were Shaq and Kobe before Shaq and Kobe."

dang, you are right about penny.