2015-2016 NBA Thread

87-88 MJ was the defensive player of the year, all star game MVP, averaged 35.0 a game, shot 55% from the floor. I think that should be unanimous.

How many are the best defensive and best offensive players in the game at the same time?

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 10, 2016 -> 10:46 AM)
I know it is sacrilegious to think it now, but Jordan got a lot of the same selfish flack that LeBron has in his career. He wasn't team oriented enough in some people's opinion early on. Then he got to a stage where he was so good, it was just assumed he was the best, and that the MVP should go to the next best guy.

Imagine social media being around when Jordan was in his prime. May have been worst than what Lebron faces.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 10, 2016 -> 01:35 PM)
Imagine social media being around when Jordan was in his prime. May have been worst than what Lebron faces.

Michael Jordan would have been destroyed by the press of today. Gambling, womanizing, punching teammates... Oh boy would it be ugly.

Yeah, that was a different era. The local media protected its superstars and the sportswriters were almost all male, in media that was just about all print and local TV. That's not a thing in this era.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 10, 2016 -> 01:37 PM)
Michael Jordan would have been destroyed by the press of today. Gambling, womanizing, punching teammates... Oh boy would it be ugly.

I doubt it. Dude was still the greatest player on the planet for a decade. When you're THAT good, people ignore the other crap. See, Kobe.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ May 10, 2016 -> 02:09 PM)
I doubt it. Dude was still the greatest player on the planet for a decade. When you're THAT good, people ignore the other crap. See, Kobe.

I also think MJ would have been smart enough to at least try and stay out of the press. Its easy to say "if social media was around back then....", but if those guys grew up with the same social media, they would probably know how to navigate it

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 10, 2016 -> 02:23 PM)
Kawhi got more MVPO votes than LeBron. Leonard is awesome but that's some dumbass s***.

How?

Leonard was better than LeBron this year in a lot of aspects...like shooting and defensive efficiency. He was second in WS/48 behind Curry. LeBron was 6th. LeBron's numbers look better because he's used more, but only Steph Curry did more with the ball than Leonard this year.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 10, 2016 -> 02:14 PM)
I also think MJ would have been smart enough to at least try and stay out of the press. Its easy to say "if social media was around back then....", but if those guys grew up with the same social media, they would probably know how to navigate it

Right, I think Jordan would have immediately seen how that behavior/coverage would impact his brand and adjust accordingly. He loved making money just as much as dominating on the court.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 10, 2016 -> 02:14 PM)

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ May 10, 2016 -> 03:03 PM)
Right, I think Jordan would have immediately seen how that behavior/coverage would impact his brand and adjust accordingly. He loved making money just as much as dominating on the court.

There would be no way to shadow his father being murdered shortly after all the gambling stuff in 2016. It would be been Armageddon.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 10, 2016 -> 01:20 PM)
87-88 MJ was the defensive player of the year, all star game MVP, averaged 35.0 a game, shot 55% from the floor. I think that should be unanimous.

How many are the best defensive and best offensive players in the game at the same time?

Yeah but how many 3's did he hit?

He didn't want Elfrid Payton as his starting PG, Rob Hennigan did, so they clashed. Skiles has been unhappy from Jan onwards.

Vogel makes a lot of sense in terms of a defensive coach that Henny likes.

It's not good for us attracting free agents and keeping Fournier though....

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 11, 2016 -> 01:41 AM)
There would be no way to shadow his father being murdered shortly after all the gambling stuff in 2016. It would be been Armageddon.

You act like it was glossed over. There was plenty of media coverage into his gambling, even a book. We all know his father was murdered. We all know he punched Steve Kerr at practice. This social media of today stuff that would have eaten him up is BS. He's still around with today's social media making more money on shoes in a year than he did his entire career playing basketball. Yet where are all the scandalous stories that would destroy him?

Players are still cheating on their wives, they are still doing things they shouldn't probably be doing, and aren't getting killed on social media. The fact is, especially with Jordan, he wasn't out in public enough for anything really to get him on twitter or instagram or facebook.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 12, 2016 -> 11:46 AM)
You act like it was glossed over. There was plenty of media coverage into his gambling, even a book. We all know his father was murdered. We all know he punched Steve Kerr at practice. This social media of today stuff that would have eaten him up is BS. He's still around with today's social media making more money on shoes in a year than he did his entire career playing basketball. Yet where are all the scandalous stories that would destroy him?

Players are still cheating on their wives, they are still doing things they shouldn't probably be doing, and aren't getting killed on social media. The fact is, especially with Jordan, he wasn't out in public enough for anything really to get him on twitter or instagram or facebook.

All you have to do is look at Tiger Woods to know how much the media loves to eat one of these guys for lunch.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 12, 2016 -> 12:01 PM)
All you have to do is look at Tiger Woods to know how much the media loves to eat one of these guys for lunch.

Yea, but it took a lot before that happened. MJ may or may not have gotten busted, but I would lean on the side of him being about to successfully stay out of it in order to maintain his image, because he knows how much his image is worth

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 12, 2016 -> 12:12 PM)
Yea, but it took a lot before that happened. MJ may or may not have gotten busted, but I would lean on the side of him being about to successfully stay out of it in order to maintain his image, because he knows how much his image is worth

Jordan was also involved in a lot of nasty things that social media would have loved to run with.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 12, 2016 -> 12:01 PM)

True, but nobody even noticed until he had a major crazy public spectacle. Before that, he had random women left and right, not a soul cared or knew.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 12, 2016 -> 12:27 PM)
True, but nobody even noticed until he had a major crazy public spectacle. Before that, he had random women left and right, not a soul cared or knew.

Punching multiple teammates and everything to do with his dad would be have been perfect in's to it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 12, 2016 -> 12:24 PM)
Jordan was also involved in a lot of nasty things that social media would have loved to run with.

Since you apparently know of all the nasty things, I'm guessing millions of others did as well. How were you able to find these things out without the social media that is in place today?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 12, 2016 -> 12:46 PM)
Punching multiple teammates and everything to do with his dad would be have been perfect in's to it.

But those aren't some secrets nobody knows about. He's already had that thrown at him and it bounced off his back.

Do you really think all these star athletes today who aren't getting burned in the press and social media lead lives on the straight and narrow?

That they don't do anything remotely near the things in which you think MJ would get destroyed?