2015-2016 NBA Thread

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 09:38 AM)
\I can't wait to hear that Derrick Rose is in the best shape of his life and feeling better than he has since pre-surgery!

I would be really happy to hear this about Noah, though.

Yeah I guess I'm not excited about this year at all. I'm intrigued by Hoiberg, but it's still so maddening to me that the Bulls keep having these elaborate offseason plays to get another star player, and then the other top teams just run circles around them in doing so. Spurs are loaded. Cavs are loaded. Not sure what our purpose is as a team.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 10:36 AM)
Yeah I guess I'm not excited about this year at all. I'm intrigued by Hoiberg, but it's still so maddening to me that the Bulls keep having these elaborate offseason plays to get another star player, and then the other top teams just run circles around them in doing so. Spurs are loaded. Cavs are loaded. Not sure what our purpose is as a team.

I didn't realize that happened this offseason.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 11:28 AM)
After the Bears and Sox seasons, I'm so excited to cheer for a team that has a shot!!! Plus a like a lot of the guys on the roster.

Barring LeBron breaking his neck on Stefan Curry's neck, the Bulls have no real chance to win it all. They will be solid, probably in the 50 to 55 win range, and win a round or maybe two in the playoffs, but that is their realistic ceiling.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 10:46 AM)
Barring LeBron breaking his neck on Stefan Curry's neck, the Bulls have no real chance to win it all. They will be solid, probably in the 50 to 55 win range, and win a round or maybe two in the playoffs, but that is their realistic ceiling.

*Stephen Curry

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 10:50 AM)
I didn't realize that happened this offseason.

This year we didn't shoot for anything big, but the LeMarcus Aldridge bulls rumors have been around for years. The Kevin Love rumors had always been around. Melo rumors. Lebron. Wade going home. Etc etc.

All those players have switched teams now except Wade...and none ended up on Bulls.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 11:59 AM)
This year we didn't shoot for anything big, but the LeMarcus Aldridge bulls rumors have been around for years. The Kevin Love rumors had always been around. Melo rumors. Lebron. Wade going home. Etc etc.

All those players have switched teams now except Wade...and none ended up on Bulls.

To be fair, while we have swung and missed at big-name players in the past (FWIW, Melo openly said he wishes he came to the Bulls last year), there was no way we could have signed Aldridge this year. Noah-Gasol-Gibson-Miroric-Portis is already a logjam. Say we get rid of Gibson to make room for him, we'd have an even bigger problem, as Gasol-Aldridge is the best duo, but Noah probably wants to start and Niko will develop best with starter minutes.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 12:03 PM)
To be fair, while we have swung and missed at big-name players in the past (FWIW, Melo openly said he wishes he came to the Bulls last year), there was no way we could have signed Aldridge this year. Noah-Gasol-Gibson-Miroric-Portis is already a logjam. Say we get rid of Gibson to make room for him, we'd have an even bigger problem, as Gasol-Aldridge is the best duo, but Noah probably wants to start and Niko will develop best with starter minutes.

I'm not saying we could have this year, nor are we set-up to add another PF and have it be a good move.

But since 2010, we've had all of these plans to get these star players. It would be one thing if they never switched teams, but they have, and we didn't get them. And we aren't going to get Durant.

But also, and this isn't specifically at you, but the Bulls are responsible for the makeup of their team beyond one year. That they were not able to add a star player because they didn't have the pieces or the money, that is their fault. Other teams, playoff teams, were able to successfully add FA/Trades for stars. The bulls haven't because frankly they don't want to.

We were all spoiled by the Jordan era, but you know what, this team is pretty good and they have 6th best odds at winning the title. 2nd best odds of Eastern conference teams to make it their (and win). So I'm sorry for being optimistic, but we absolutely have a chance. Favorites, no, but Bulls can definitely win a title. I'm excited what Rose can do after having a relatively healthy season (one where he gained confidence in the playoffs) and also seeing how McD and Mirotic develop as well as hopefully improved chemistry with Butler / Rose on the court at once.

On a sidenote, I'm sorry that I can at least appreciate the one pro franchise in Chicago, which during my lifetime, has been relevant outside of a ~5 year post Jordan era span. Bears / Sox have failed miserably at being consistent contenders and Blackhawks are great now but they had their own run of supreme futility.

I'm a sports fan and the Bulls have been the one franchise who has routinely put a quality product on the court. Its a shame they haven't won the title, but you know what, after all the s*** I've seen from the Bears and Sox, I'm okay watching a team that has routinely had at least a chance (and has consistently been in the playoffs) and one of these years, this team will win a title.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 12:22 PM)
If we can get past the Cavs in the playoffs, I am very confident we can win it all. We match up well with all of the Western Conference contenders, and we beat all of them last year.

Getting past the Cavs is a pretty large problem for the Bulls. Even if that happens, you have just as big of a problem with whomever comes out of the west. I can't see the Bulls going any more than 5 games with the Spurs or the Warriors.

The Regular season is one thing, the post season is another.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 12:25 PM)
On a sidenote, I'm sorry that I can at least appreciate the one pro franchise in Chicago, which during my lifetime, has been relevant outside of a ~5 year post Jordan era span. Bears / Sox have failed miserably at being consistent contenders and Blackhawks are great now but they had their own run of supreme futility.

I'm a sports fan and the Bulls have been the one franchise who has routinely put a quality product on the court. Its a shame they haven't won the title, but you know what, after all the s*** I've seen from the Bears and Sox, I'm okay watching a team that has routinely had at least a chance (and has consistently been in the playoffs) and one of these years, this team will win a title.

I agree that it's nice to have a team that has made the playoffs in what, 10 of the last 11 years? But as these years go by, and Rose/Noah age, I become less and less confident that we'll win a title with this core. If you asked me in 2012/2013, I would have guaranteed that Rose would win a title as a Bull. Now, I'm not so sure.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 12:27 PM)
Getting past the Cavs is a pretty large problem for the Bulls. Even if that happens, you have just as big of a problem with whomever comes out of the west. I can't see the Bulls going any more than 5 games with the Spurs or the Warriors.

The Regular season is one thing, the post season is another.

Yeah, getting past the Cavs is easier said than done. I don't think we'll do it this year, but if we do, I think we match up well with whoever comes out of the west. Why are you confident that we can't go 5+ with San Antonio or GSW? I think we match up very well with GSW, and we'd at least have a shot with the Spurs with our interior defense.

I still watch most games, go to 3/4, watch all playoff games. Like the portis pick a lot. Love Mirotic, love butler. But it's hard to watch a team be really good but run up against teams that are just superior so many years in a row.

I just think it's going to be interesting to see what a different coach does with this roster. Will we see that taking the reins off on offense will lead to these guys suddenly being more effective or will we lose some of the discipline imposed by Thibs? Will we lose some of the 1on1 defense effectiveness we saw or will being more flexibile actually make this team more effective.

Inquiring mind wants to know.