Matt Davidson named Best Defensive 3B

GGajewski18

Tommy Viola ‏@Tommy_the_V 2h2 hours ago

.@KnightsBaseball's Matt Davidson named Best Defensive 3B in the IL by @BaseballAmerica. #congrats

This is pretty encouraging reviews, especially from BA. Even though he struggles with contact, if he can still bring power and is good defensively, does he a September call up?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 12, 2015 -> 06:05 PM)
Tommy Viola ‏@Tommy_the_V 2h2 hours ago

.@KnightsBaseball's Matt Davidson named Best Defensive 3B in the IL by @BaseballAmerica. #congrats

This is pretty encouraging reviews, especially from BA. Even though he struggles with contact, if he can still bring power and is good defensively, does he a September call up?

I'd say no because he still can't hit. He does not deserve to be a call up.

Would we take the kind of numbers from Sanchez in AAA that we are getting from Sanchez? If Davidson truly is a really good defensive 3B all the sudden, and that's all Sanchez is (defense), then wouldn't you prefer Sanchez to be able to drop 20-25 HR a season while playing superb defense?

I think the problem is that we are all trained to think of Sanchez as a defense first guy, and any offense is a plus. But maybe we should be seeing Davidson the same way now.

buddy bell was on white sox weekly with Rongey and it pretty much sounds as though the organization has all but given up on him. Next thing bell said they may try to just completely tear his swing down and start all over, essentially a Hail Mary

QUOTE (daa84 @ Aug 16, 2015 -> 03:14 PM)
buddy bell was on white sox weekly with Rongey and it pretty much sounds as though the organization has all but given up on him. Next thing bell said they may try to just completely tear his swing down and start all over, essentially a Hail Mary

Maybe the Sox should tear down the player development personnel and start all over, too.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 16, 2015 -> 03:43 PM)
Maybe the Sox should tear down the player development personnel and start all over, too.

It is getting better. Don't forget we have three complete White Sox products added to the roster this year who are contributing, two from the draft, and one from Latin America.

How old was Crede when he came up hitting in the low .200's but had a great glove? I dont know enough about Davidson to say he is anything close to Crede but he sounds like he is somewhat on the same path as Joe was? Could be totally wrong I admit.

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 12:59 PM)
How old was Crede when he came up hitting in the low .200's but had a great glove? I dont know enough about Davidson to say he is anything close to Crede but he sounds like he is somewhat on the same path as Joe was? Could be totally wrong I admit.

Joe always carried a pretty high batting average and was a two time MVP in the minors.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 01:09 PM)
Joe always carried a pretty high batting average and was a two time MVP in the minors.

Yeah I was just looking over his stats. Joe was at least in the .250+ range throughout his minor league career.

If he were even a AAAA hitter, sure whu not?

He's cozy again with Mendoza in his 3rd go around in hitters' paradises.

Earlier, I'd compared him to the Kub's Olt. He's not even that. Huge scouting failure, and symptomatic of the love affair with BP power displays. Sure hope that's been purged. (can JR purge anything?)

We probably would have given up our farm for Gallo, who's going to be a bust.

Yeah, I'm surly.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 12:36 AM)
Can't believe you'd let the kid play like absolute dogs*** for two straight years before even considering making big changes to his swing

He is just a bad hitter. I doubt anyone has ever turned it around to be a productive MLB player after hitting as poorly as he has the last two years repeating AAA.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 06:44 PM)
He is just a bad hitter. I doubt anyone has ever turned it around to be a productive MLB player after hitting as poorly as he has the last two years repeating AAA.

He showed alot of flashes in Arizona's system though. It's amazing how bad he looks now compared to his AA + AAA + brief big league stint.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 07:44 PM)

Something did change when he got traded to us, though. He was flawed when we got him to be sure, but he regressed majorly while repeating a level and in ways that aren't league dependent (contact rate). When we traded for him, there was no good reason to think he wouldn't stick as a major league player, even if there were reasonable doubts as to whether he'd be a long-term starting caliber player.

I don't know if he's got some mental stuff going as some suggested, or he's had some sort of physical regression, or he just caught some of the White Sox black magic that makes perfectly okay players forget how to hit.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 06:36 PM)
Can't believe you'd let the kid play like absolute dogs*** for two straight years before even considering making big changes to his swing

This isn't accurate. I can tell you without a doubt that he had a different approach and swing early this year, versus 2014. Saw it myself, talked with him about it, talked with a scout about it. At least in May anyway, he was aiming RCF, had changed his hands in his stance and stride, changed his location in the box. And it occasionally flashed success, but now he's either slid back into bad habits, and/or pitchers have the book on him and he can't adjust.

Changes were made. They haven't worked. Happens a lot, sadly.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 09:04 AM)
This isn't accurate. I can tell you without a doubt that he had a different approach and swing early this year, versus 2014. Saw it myself, talked with him about it, talked with a scout about it. At least in May anyway, he was aiming RCF, had changed his hands in his stance and stride, changed his location in the box. And it occasionally flashed success, but now he's either slid back into bad habits, and/or pitchers have the book on him and he can't adjust.

Changes were made. They haven't worked. Happens a lot, sadly.

Glad to hear they were working with him.