Bonifacio DFA

daggins

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Aug 16, 2015 -> 01:15 PM)
#StopRick

If you think Kenny isn't still in charge you are mistaken.

Nothing changed, Kenny makes the decisions, Rick negotiates deals and takes care of day to day roster moves. Hahn just got a raise when other organizations came calling.

Edited by GREEDY

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Aug 16, 2015 -> 01:21 PM)
If you think Kenny isn't still in charge you are mistaken.

Nothing changed, Kenny makes the decisions, Rick negotiates deals and takes care of day to day roster moves. Hahn just got a raise when other organizations came calling.

Let's hope another team comes calling for Kenny after this season ends. For all practical purposes though the season is really over now.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Aug 16, 2015 -> 10:11 AM)
Can't remember the last position player they Sox acquired that actually did better than his career norm (someone give me a name other they Dye).

Thome's numbers were comparable...and considering the aging/expected regression, better than his Philly numbers

AJ

Carlos Quentin (although not much of a track record)

Eaton, compared to his DBacks numbers

Jose Valentin...maybe offensively

Pods compared to his second year with Milwaukee

Iguchi, Ramirez and Abreu all outperformed initial projections

Gillaspie last year, compared to SF Giants numbers

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 16, 2015 -> 09:17 AM)
They actually used to be really good at bringing in retreads...dunno about career norms, but guys that could come in and rebuild their career a bit.

Ellis Burks comes to mind. Albert Belle put up a monster year here, although he was pretty amazing for much of his career.

Richie Zisk, Oscar Gamble , Eric Soderholm

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 16, 2015 -> 04:03 PM)
Thome's numbers were comparable...and considering the aging/expected regression, better than his Philly numbers

AJ

Carlos Quentin (although not much of a track record)

Eaton, compared to his DBacks numbers

Jose Valentin...maybe offensively

Pods compared to his second year with Milwaukee

Iguchi, Ramirez and Abreu all outperformed initial projections

Gillaspie last year, compared to SF Giants numbers

Eaton had like half a season under his belt before the trade, I'd put him in the same category as TCQ. FWIW he was favorite to win NL ROY at one point

Valentin is a pretty good one, although like you said his defense was awful

Pods had like 2 WAR's over 3 season worth of games with us, I wouldn't say he did better with us.

Gillaspie by all means had one fluky first half, and came back down to earth after.

As for the foreign players, credit goes to scouts and the GM's for taking a chance on them. They were all pretty established players overseas, but for right or wrong reasons, the projections always assume that player will have a tough time adjusting from overseas baseball to MLB.

At the end of the day, we have far more recent success taking on reclamation project pitchers and turning them into better players than we did with position players, but then again, pitchers are probably the easier fix.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 16, 2015 -> 11:29 AM)
People should go back to the Sox sign Bonifacio thread for some perspective. Hahn and KW really aren't dumber than any of us.

The signing did make sense at the time. Then they signed Beckham and there went all the playing time for Bonifacio. Would he have beat Gordon's -0 2 WAR with more at-bats? Who the heck knows, but the pity signing of Beckham doomed him from the start so it's not completely fair to simply judge people's initial reactions before Beckham was added.

Thank goodness Boni is gone. No offense to him if he's a good guy but the purge must continue. Dump Beckham next. Bring up Micah. He needs no more minors. Why bury guys like Micah. When it's time it's time. Look at Semien. He's playing for A's now. Look at Giavatello of the Royals. He's playing now for Cali. It's time for Micah and Davidson for better or worse. See if they can play; if not get rid of them as well.

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Aug 16, 2015 -> 12:09 PM)
In all seriousness, there is now just the one infielder on the bench now.

But 4 infielders that can play any infield position. So for the 1 in a billion game where we lose 2 infielders to injury during the game, Abreu will have to play 3rd base. The chances of that happening in the next two weeks before rosters expand would be pretty minuscule.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Aug 16, 2015 -> 11:47 AM)
Keppinger, Emilio, LaRoche.

That's a lot of guys The Chairman has paid to do nothing.

I wonder if he is ever going to call Kenny and Hahn into his office and say, "Fellas...."

Look at how often the exact same thing happens on all of the other 29 teams and then decide if it seems like "a lot."

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 06:24 AM)
Look at how often the exact same thing happens on all of the other 29 teams and then decide if it seems like "a lot."

i agree with that main thought, but i will disagree for this reason.

the 2 contract the sox org has to eat were that of keppinger and emilio. and all the yrs that the sox been owned by this group of owners, i think these 2 were the only ones that has happen like this. again that is the best of my recollection.

now the owners would force the team and the fans to suffer until contracts like adam and dunn has expired that is more likely their SOP of operating.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 05:30 AM)
i agree with that main thought, but i will disagree for this reason.

the 2 contract the sox org has to eat were that of keppinger and emilio. and all the yrs that the sox been owned by this group of owners, i think these 2 were the only ones that has happen like this. again that is the best of my recollection.

now the owners would force the team and the fans to suffer until contracts like adam and dunn has expired that is more likely their SOP of operating.

Dunn at the end, Mike MacDougal, Linebrink, Mark Teahen....they weren't all waived, some were just courtesy salary dumps or salaries were unloaded by packaging them with assets like Edwin Jackson/Teahen. Scott Downs was another.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 16, 2015 -> 10:17 PM)
The signing did make sense at the time. Then they signed Beckham and there went all the playing time for Bonifacio. Would he have beat Gordon's -0 2 WAR with more at-bats? Who the heck knows, but the pity signing of Beckham doomed him from the start so it's not completely fair to simply judge people's initial reactions before Beckham was added.

BS. If Bonifacio would have performed anywhere near the expectation level, he would have played. He was horrible in spring training and horrible during the regular season. Worse that Beckham. The fact is, in that thread it was YOU who posted no one should blame Hahn if the Sox season goes south, he did everything Soxtalk wanted him to do. If you really want to think that is all cancelled out by signing Gordon Beckham, that is ridiculous.

Third Base Coach

Group: Members

Member No.: 385

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 08:22 AM) *

Well if the Sox suck next year, nobody here better blame Rick Hahn, because he is doing everything Soxtalk has demanded.

I think Bonifacio gets overrated because of a couple hot streaks (mostly fantasy baseball fans), but he's still better than a lot of the bench pieces the Sox have recently had.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 16, 2015 -> 11:17 PM)

I continue to disagree with this.

In January, the White Sox lineup featured 2 left hand hitters who we knew, 100% knew, had rotten platoon splits against lefties. LaRoche and Gillaspie. Going back 2 years for both of them they had been absolutely rotten against left handers. Bad enough where a Bonifacio or a Beckham putting up a .650 OPS against lefties would be a huge upgrade. (Oh, and that doesn't count the rookie LH hitter we were starting at 2b). If they could improve the defense at some position or be an asset on the basepaths, so much the better.

We needed 2 right handed backups on the bench because we had 2 lefties in our lineup who should be in a platoon role. We needed both of them. Beckham's use out of ST was all right & not really his fault Gillaspie couldn't swing it any more. Why Bonifacio never got his chance is probably something relating to where he was physically or mentally or in ST or something like that and it's something I'll never know, but the end result of him not being used was LaRoche facing a bunch of lefties and Garcia and co constantly playing the field.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 07:28 AM)
BS. If Bonifacio would have performed anywhere near the expectation level, he would have played. He was horrible in spring training and horrible during the regular season. Worse that Beckham. The fact is, in that thread it was YOU who posted no one should blame Hahn if the Sox season goes south, he did everything Soxtalk wanted him to do. If you really want to think that is all cancelled out by signing Gordon Beckham, that is ridiculous.

Third Base Coach

Group: Members

Member No.: 385

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 08:22 AM) *

Well if the Sox suck next year, nobody here better blame Rick Hahn, because he is doing everything Soxtalk has demanded.

I think Bonifacio gets overrated because of a couple hot streaks (mostly fantasy baseball fans), but he's still better than a lot of the bench pieces the Sox have recently had.

Where exactly did I blame Rick Hahn for the season going south because of the Beckham signing? Sure, I think the Beckham signing was silly and it may have hurt the little bit of value Bonifacio may have brought, but those are the still the 24th & 25th guys on the roster, so it would have minimal effect on the season anyway.

Plus, my blame for the Sox struggles is centered on KW & JR for the last 7 years anyway.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 07:39 AM)
I continue to disagree with this.

In January, the White Sox lineup featured 2 left hand hitters who we knew, 100% knew, had rotten platoon splits against lefties. LaRoche and Gillaspie. Going back 2 years for both of them they had been absolutely rotten against left handers. Bad enough where a Bonifacio or a Beckham putting up a .650 OPS against lefties would be a huge upgrade. (Oh, and that doesn't count the rookie LH hitter we were starting at 2b). If they could improve the defense at some position or be an asset on the basepaths, so much the better.

We needed 2 right handed backups on the bench because we had 2 lefties in our lineup who should be in a platoon role. We needed both of them. Beckham's use out of ST was all right & not really his fault Gillaspie couldn't swing it any more. Why Bonifacio never got his chance is probably something relating to where he was physically or mentally or in ST or something like that and it's something I'll never know, but the end result of him not being used was LaRoche facing a bunch of lefties and Garcia and co constantly playing the field.

I'm not convinced the White Sox ever planned on sitting LaRoche vs. LHP. I believe they signed him to be an everyday player, splits be damned.