White Sox @ Angels 9:05 PM CST

Kyyle23

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 09:34 AM)
If they were over .500, it would be sleep deprivation week. Now it's check the score when you take a piss at 3am week.

Lol, this made me laugh so much.

We take 3 out of 4, or sweep them, we're right back in it :)

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 09:48 AM)
Lol, this made me laugh so much.

We take 3 out of 4, or sweep them, we're right back in it :)

I'm looking at it as the Sox need back-to-back weeks of 5-2. 10-4 the next 14, or I don't think they have much chance to go better than 19-14 when it's back to a heavy division schedule the last 5 weeks of the season.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (Dunt @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 08:50 AM)
If we could find some bats at 2B, SS, C, or RF, I could totally live with Saladino at 3B

I'm fine with him there always. His glove and base running provides solid value while his hitting isn't bad enough to negate the running and fielding since he has a .9 WAR in pretty limited playing time compared to the guys who have been playing all year.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 12:45 PM)
Saladino is already 5th in DRS among all 3B this year, which is very impressive when you consider it's a counting stat and he's only played 30 games. The 4 guys ahead of him have all played at least 96 games there.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/...-fielding.shtml

He has been pretty amazing over there. It blows my mind that he had only played like 5 games ever before he got here.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 12:45 PM)
Saladino is already 5th in DRS among all 3B this year, which is very impressive when you consider it's a counting stat and he's only played 30 games. The 4 guys ahead of him have all played at least 96 games there.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/...-fielding.shtml

Which is definitely why I would be fine with him staying there, but you need to infuse offense elsewhere

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 10:54 AM)
He has been pretty amazing over there. It blows my mind that he had only played like 5 games ever before he got here.

I was just saying in another thread that his defense and base running alone was enough to keep him at 3rd since his hitting didn't negate any of that. I didn't know about the DRS stat but I did sight his .9 WAR which is damn good for the amount he has played.

I think the Sox need to have a Salad Dino wherever in the ballpark they serve salads. If he's of Italian heritage maybe some kind of anti-pasta with a nice garlic and red wine vinaigrette.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 01:13 PM)
I was just saying in another thread that his defense and base running alone was enough to keep him at 3rd since his hitting didn't negate any of that. I didn't know about the DRS stat but I did sight his .9 WAR which is damn good for the amount he has played.

I think the Sox need to have a Salad Dino wherever in the ballpark they serve salads. If he's of Italian heritage maybe some kind of anti-pasta with a nice garlic and red wine vinaigrette.

A 0.9 dWAR in 31 games is pretty damned impressive. That is basically a 4.5-5 dWAR player over the course of a full season. Yes, that means we are talking about a kid could be a 5 WAR 3rd baseman, and totally drafted and developed by the White Sox.

Just to put some numbers on things....

The average OPS amongst 3b in baseball in 2015 is .743.

The average OPS amongst SS is .677.

Tyler is currently at .634. He's currently on pace that over a full season he'd strike out 140-150 times and walk only 30 times, so there's room to grow into this league with time. But if we look at his numbers right now...if he's an average or better SS defensively his bat as we've seen it right now comes close to playing. But even as a solid defender...he has a long, long way to go to become a tolerable bat at 3b.

I think he can play long-term at SS. I don't think on this roster we have the firepower to afford him at 3b.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 01:19 PM)
Just to put some numbers on things....

The average OPS amongst 3b in baseball in 2015 is .743.

The average OPS amongst SS is .677.

Tyler is currently at .634. He's currently on pace that over a full season he'd strike out 140-150 times and walk only 30 times, so there's room to grow into this league with time. But if we look at his numbers right now...if he's an average or better SS defensively his bat as we've seen it right now comes close to playing. But even as a solid defender...he has a long, long way to go to become a tolerable bat at 3b.

I think he can play long-term at SS. I don't think on this roster we have the firepower to afford him at 3b.

Depends who the SS is.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 02:17 PM)
A 0.9 dWAR in 31 games is pretty damned impressive. That is basically a 4.5-5 dWAR player over the course of a full season. Yes, that means we are talking about a kid could be a 5 WAR 3rd baseman, and totally drafted and developed by the White Sox.

Just did some checking to make sure what a 5 dWAR 3b would be. Brooks Robinson had 1 season where he put up a 4.5 dWAR at third. Manny Machado did it once over there. The highest dWAR season ever recorded by Baseball Reference is Andrelton Simmons with a 5.4 dWAR season at short.

Basically, if Tyler could do that for 1 season, it would rank among the top 10 defensive seasons in history regardless of position. If you are expecting him to do that every year....Brooks Robinson couldn't do that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 01:33 PM)
Just did some checking to make sure what a 5 dWAR 3b would be. Brooks Robinson had 1 season where he put up a 4.5 dWAR at third. Manny Machado did it once over there. The highest dWAR season ever recorded by Baseball Reference is Andrelton Simmons with a 5.4 dWAR season at short.

Basically, if Tyler could do that for 1 season, it would rank among the top 10 defensive seasons in history regardless of position. If you are expecting him to do that every year....Brooks Robinson couldn't do that.

It would be silly to think he could put up a 4 or 5 WAR defensively one year let alone make it routine. It would also be silly to think his current offensive production is his peak.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 01:13 PM)

Where are you seeing his WAR is 0.9? 0.4 according to Fangraphs