White Sox @ Angels 9:05 PM CST

Kyyle23

16th time this season the Sox held an opponent to three runs or less...and lost.

For this offense to be good next year they need to add at least three, maybe four quality offensive players. That's near impossible.

And you have to wonder why Garcia was pinch hit for late in the game considering he had two hits already. Sometime I simply can't figure out what is going through Ventura's head (maybe an even bigger problem is he really doesn't know either...LOL)

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 11:14 PM)
I know this is sarcasm but I believe he's top 5 in baseball in pitch framing. It's a big deal. Pitchers also like throwing to him. Rodon has been great with Flowers behind the dish. I would expect that Flowers will be on the Sox for years to come. They just need to get a better starting catcher and let TFlow catch Sale and Rodon.

Saw this in another location, I can't take credit for it but I thought it was interesting and touches upon your point:

http://www.statcorner.com/CatcherReport.php

"Tyler Flowers turns 1.89 balls per game into strikes, good for the fourth-best average in the league. At first glance, that looks wonderful.

However, looking further down the list, guess who is #19 at 1.09 extra strikes per game? That's right, Geovany Soto.

In other words, the White Sox are happily trading 84 points of OBP and 128 points of SLG, not to mention a higher passed-ball frequency (10 in 673.1 innings for Flowers vs. 4 in 372.2 innings for Soto) and a worse caught-stealing percentage (23% for Flowers vs. 27% for Soto), for eight-tenths of an extra strike per game."

Mark

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 12:19 AM)
Saw this in another location, I can't take credit for it but I thought it was interesting and touches upon your point:

http://www.statcorner.com/CatcherReport.php

"Tyler Flowers turns 1.89 balls per game into strikes, good for the fourth-best average in the league. At first glance, that looks wonderful.

However, looking further down the list, guess who is #19 at 1.09 extra strikes per game? That's right, Geovany Soto.

In other words, the White Sox are happily trading 84 points of OBP and 128 points of SLG, not to mention a higher passed-ball frequency (10 in 673.1 innings for Flowers vs. 4 in 372.2 innings for Soto) and a worse caught-stealing percentage (23% for Flowers vs. 27% for Soto), for eight-tenths of an extra strike per game."

Mark

That makes it sound horrible. I suppose there are intangible factors at play as well. Maybe the dude just calls better games or creates a comfort level that we can't quantify.