White Sox @ Angels 9:05 PM CST

Kyyle23

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 01:33 PM)
Just did some checking to make sure what a 5 dWAR 3b would be. Brooks Robinson had 1 season where he put up a 4.5 dWAR at third. Manny Machado did it once over there. The highest dWAR season ever recorded by Baseball Reference is Andrelton Simmons with a 5.4 dWAR season at short.

Basically, if Tyler could do that for 1 season, it would rank among the top 10 defensive seasons in history regardless of position. If you are expecting him to do that every year....Brooks Robinson couldn't do that.

So even if he fielded at half that pace, but improved his stick to somewhere just under what he was doing in the minors, you have have a very good 3B.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 01:45 PM)
Where are you seeing his WAR is 0.9? 0.4 according to Fangraphs

Looking at the fangraphs chart for 3B, Tyler is already up to 21st overall in their defensive rating stat, in his 30ish games. Overall he is tied for 33rd in WAR. He is tied with Lawrie. He is ahead of guys such as Alex Guerreo, Nick Castellanos, Yasmany Tomas, and Pablo Sandoval.

I think Saladino is going to make an excellent utility player and a solid late inning defensive replacement. No shame in that, nothing wrong with it. That's always a valuable piece on a team.

But starting? Especially at 3rd base which is a power / home run / big RBI position...can't see it.

Sanchez should be an adequate / solid second baseman. Anderson may be a pretty good shortstop...we'll have to see. As far as Johnson, until he shows he can actually stay healthy it's all a moot point with him. (Or a moo point, the point of view of a cow as Joey said on "Friends...") LOL.

Mark

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 02:29 PM)
I think Saladino is going to make an excellent utility player and a solid late inning defensive replacement. No shame in that, nothing wrong with it. That's always a valuable piece on a team.

But starting? Especially at 3rd base which is a power / home run / big RBI position...can't see it.

Sanchez should be an adequate / solid second baseman. Anderson may be a pretty good shortstop...we'll have to see. As far as Johnson, until he shows he can actually stay healthy it's all a moot point with him. (Or a moo point, the point of view of a cow as Joey said on "Friends...") LOL.

Mark

Pretty much agree with this. Saladino has proven he's an excellent defender at 3B but his bat won't play as a starter. If he can play 2B and SS adequately he's the 2016 utility IF, and he's a step up from Garcia and Boni IMO.

Sanchez should be able to hit 260/300/370 next year and with his defense that's about 1.5 to 2.5 WAR. I"ll take that. Johnson needs to stay healthy and prove he can play any sort of adequate defense somewhere. Anderson looks like Alexei 2.0 IMO. Never gonna be patient but could threaten a 300 average key will be obviously can he translate his tools to above average defense and baserunning as well.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 03:53 PM)
Pretty much agree with this. Saladino has proven he's an excellent defender at 3B but his bat won't play as a starter. If he can play 2B and SS adequately he's the 2016 utility IF, and he's a step up from Garcia and Boni IMO.

Will his bat play as a starter if he's an average to above average defensive SS?

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 03:59 PM)
I dunno but the Sox should probably find out in the next 40 games.

Unfortunately....I wouldn't have confidence either way based on a 40 game sample as a rookie, and you know that Alexei is going to play every day as well as i do

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 02:29 PM)

Mark

3B maybe used to be a big time power / home runs / big RBI position, but it really isn't anymore. Sure, it'd be great to have an elite 3B, but there are very few. There are about 5 really good ones (Donaldson, Machado, Arenado, Frazier, Seager), a few good ones that are getting old (Beltre and Longoria) and some solid guys and promising kids (Carpenter and Bryant). After that it is pretty meh. You can get away with a 3B without a ton of power, but you probably need to have it elsewhere.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 04:49 PM)
3B maybe used to be a big time power / home runs / big RBI position, but it really isn't anymore. Sure, it'd be great to have an elite 3B, but there are very few. There are about 5 really good ones (Donaldson, Machado, Arenado, Frazier, Seager), a few good ones that are getting old (Beltre and Longoria) and some solid guys and promising kids (Carpenter and Bryant). After that it is pretty meh. You can get away with a 3B without a ton of power, but you probably need to have it elsewhere.

League wide, 3b has the 3rd highest OPS out of any position. It's comparable to the DH in the average lineup in that stat. 1b is the strongest, RF is slightly ahead, then 3b, DH, and so on.

With an above average offensive 1b, we could probably survive with a below average 3b if we got solid contributions out of the RF and DH slots. We should have an above average CF, but at SS and 2b we've been below average and LF and C we've been at best average.

If we had an average RF and DH, we'd have ~4 positions with average production, 2 positions above average, and 3 that are below average. That still wouldn't be a great lineup but it wouldn't be bottom of the league.

RF and DH have been no where near average and the player producing offense at the catcher's spot is a FA at the end of the year, which could shift that position back to below average.

We need offense somewhere.

The mistake some are making is assuming that the very limited sample of offensive numbers we have from Saladino are very informative. That first callup usually generates some really strange hitting numbers at some point in time. I would especially shy away from assuming we know if he's this bad or this good in terms of overall production. If he hits well or badly for a week it will drastically change his season numbers.

With that said, some of the same goes for the defense. He's clearly good over there, but we don't have good evidence that he's really something like one of the few best defensive 3B in the game. There's lot to be encouraged about, though, because regardless of the statistics the eye test tells us that he's at least an above average defender over there.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 06:13 PM)
The mistake some are making is assuming that the very limited sample of offensive numbers we have from Saladino are very informative. That first callup usually generates some really strange hitting numbers at some point in time. I would especially shy away from assuming we know if he's this bad or this good in terms of overall production. If he hits well or badly for a week it will drastically change his season numbers.

With that said, some of the same goes for the defense. He's clearly good over there, but we don't have good evidence that he's really something like one of the few best defensive 3B in the game. There's lot to be encouraged about, though, because regardless of the statistics the eye test tells us that he's at least an above average defender over there.

We have his entire MiLB career and scouting reports to go off. He'll be lucky to ever hit anymore than 250/320/380. He seems to have some patience but he also tends to fall behind in counts because nobody is afraid of starting him with strike one.

Saladino is a nice story and I"m glad he's proven he can play a very good 3B but I don't think he's anything other than a utility bench guy long term, at least on the next Sox playoff team. They aren't good enough elswewhere to carry his bat at 3B right now. Things can change but until other positions start to carry more weight (2B, catcher, SS, RF) they should look for a hitter at 3B.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 02:37 PM)
With Sanchez coming around, if Anderson can rake at SS, I'd be more than happy with Saladino-Anderson-Sanchez with Micah DHing.

I think that lineup would be fine for Charlotte next year.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 07:02 PM)
Baseball ref. They have a picture list of the top 12 Sox producers by WAR . Put you cursor over the pic for Saladino ,he is 8th.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2015.shtml

It's all dWAR, which is like the neutrino IMO. It might exist, but who knows where the hell to look. I'm convinced he's a solid defender. I'm not convinced that over a full season he's a 4.0 dWAR player. That's like 3-5 guys in the entire league at any given time.

Looking over that list though some impressive turnarounds. Of course, you don't get credit for returning from historically awful after 80 odd games. Keep playing Trayce and Shuck see if there's something there. f*** La Roche he can sit and cash his checks and help out with the faith night.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 08:48 PM)
Anyone think his D would be better than Sanchez' at 2b? I think his bat will play out the same (more power/speed) when it's all said and done and he definitely has a bigger arm/range.

Not even close. Sanchez is pretty close to GG worthy at second base.