2015 - 2016 Bowling Season

222, 202, 156 on Saturday. I have no explanation. Last 2 months I am just lost when the lanes break down, can't adjust for anything. Still in first there by 2 points with one more regular night to go. I am taking tonight off on my Tuesday one. I think I need a break.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 04:17 PM)
222, 202, 156 on Saturday. I have no explanation. Last 2 months I am just lost when the lanes break down, can't adjust for anything. Still in first there by 2 points with one more regular night to go. I am taking tonight off on my Tuesday one. I think I need a break.

I see you're from Plainfield. Do you bowl at that huge Brunswick Zone near Weber Road & 55?

SMO

:huh:

QUOTE (StillMissOzzie @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 11:20 PM)
I see you're from Plainfield. Do you bowl at that huge Brunswick Zone near Weber Road & 55?

SMO

:huh:

Town & Country in Joliet and Orland Bowl every other Saturday. I have never actually bowled in the Brunzwick Zone there.

A much more better night this past Wednesday. 224 226 180 630 series.

I was locked the first two games, I think I only had one first ball less than a 9 count, and no opens the first 2 games. Then, things started heading south. I didn't think I had to make an adjustment, but I started getting wild, tossing 7 and 8 counts, and one KFC dinner bucket ( the 2-4-5-8). I only got 2 of them, and then a flagged a 7 pin to open in the 10th. ARRRGGGHH!!

Overall, I had 17 @ X, 12 @ /, with those two opens. Can't complain too much, but I still will. I feel like a much better series slipped through my fingers.

SMO

:drink

I forgot to post my scores last week from my Tues league but they were nothing to brag about. I know I had a 600 series, but just barely. 604 IIRC and I had a 248 game in there as well. The other two games were just awful. Our first place lead is down to 1 game with 6 weeks to go.

My past Sunday night league with my daughter was even worse. We were in 2nd place but dropped all the way to 6th. I did better last night shooting in the upper 190's for both games. She's certainly improving though. Last week she tied me for one game and last night she had a 195 (with a 140 average).

We'll be in an adult/youth pins over average tourney in June. 4 baker games. That should be fun.

I had my best night of the year last night. 235, 225, 238 for a 698 series. Of course I'm kicking myself because I missed an easy spare on my very last shot of the 3rd game. It was the 2 -4. If I would've hit those two pins, I would've gotten my 700 series. I had no idea at the time though.

But we won 3 games and the second place team only won 1, so our lead is back up to 3 games. I managed to bring my average up a pin to 194.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Mar 2, 2016 -> 09:09 AM)
I had my best night of the year last night. 235, 225, 238 for a 698 series. Of course I'm kicking myself because I missed an easy spare on my very last shot of the 3rd game. It was the 2 -4. If I would've hit those two pins, I would've gotten my 700 series. I had no idea at the time though.

But we won 3 games and the second place team only won 1, so our lead is back up to 3 games. I managed to bring my average up a pin to 194.

Very nice series. I have only been over 700 twice. My average on Tuesdays has been dropping like a rock due to my recent inability to adjust. At least this Tuesday I held form, all games in the 180's (average dropped to 180 now). How many more reg weeks left for you?

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 09:10 AM)
Very nice series. I have only been over 700 twice. My average on Tuesdays has been dropping like a rock due to my recent inability to adjust. At least this Tuesday I held form, all games in the 180's (average dropped to 180 now). How many more reg weeks left for you?

I think we have 5 weeks left. I'd like to get my average up a few more pins, but this late in the season it will be difficult. I'll be happy if I can end with at least 195.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Mar 2, 2016 -> 09:09 AM)

Nice series, but I'd be pissed about missing a 700 like that. I am lucky if I get one per season.

I had a 204, 200, & 235 for a 639 series. First game was going well, strikes or 9-counts on every ball, until I left a split in the 10th.

Second game, starting on that same lane, I got another split. I always like starting a game with an open frame. But I got it in gear, and then got my 3rd split of the night. For the third game, I started with the first 5, left a 10-pin in the 6th frame...and missed it. I always like ending a string with an open frame, too. I left 2 more 10 pins in the 7th and 8th frames, but I picked them up. Ended with 3 more strikes and an 8 count.

The annoying part was that all 3 of those splits were of the makable kind, nothing like 4-6 or 7-10. I got a 9-10 in the 10th frame of game 1, I opened with a 5-6-10 in the first frame of game 2, and then I left a 3-10 later on in the 2nd game. My spare shooting wasn't accurate enough to pick up any of these, so I am happy I had enough strikes to cover those 4 opens.

SMO

:cheers

So Saturday was the last night of the regular season. We were 1 point in first, playing one of the teams near the bottom. The team in second was playing the team in 3rd, so we hoped they would give them a run for their money. First, no help from them, they all showed up drunk after attending one of the many irish parades that day. They got killed all 3 games. So we had to sweep. I bowled a 220, 191 and 202, not a bad night. The anchor bowler on the other team had a 222 his first game, which was his LOWEST of the day (190 avr). We won the first 2 barely, and the third we ended up losing by 60 pins, thanks to his 297. Oh well, playoffs!

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 11:29 AM)
So Saturday was the last night of the regular season. We were 1 point in first, playing one of the teams near the bottom. The team in second was playing the team in 3rd, so we hoped they would give them a run for their money. First, no help from them, they all showed up drunk after attending one of the many irish parades that day. They got killed all 3 games. So we had to sweep. I bowled a 220, 191 and 202, not a bad night. The anchor bowler on the other team had a 222 his first game, which was his LOWEST of the day (190 avr). We won the first 2 barely, and the third we ended up losing by 60 pins, thanks to his 297. Oh well, playoffs!

297? Ouch. Somebody got nervous on their last shot.

My daughter started her travel league 2 weeks ago. First week one kid shot a 299 and another had a 300. 2nd week the kid that had the 300 the first week throws ANOTHER 300. I'm just happy if my kid averages over 150...

Couple of question for you guys: Do you have a spare ball? Do you have more than one "primary" ball depending on lane conditions?

I've seen people that come in with 4, 5, 6 (or more) different balls. Personally, I've spent most of my life bowling with one single ball. Oily lanes, dry lanes, 10 pins... I simply adjusted my shot accordingly. Just last year I finally got a new ball and kept my old ball for a spare ball. Although on a couple of occasions I used it as my primary ball. I'm only bowling for fun so it's not a big deal.

Right now my daughter is the same way. She uses one ball and adjusts. One of her coaches has suggested getting a spare ball. The ball she has now is probably one step up from a plastic ball. It's also the first ball she's ever had that's fingertip. She's been using it for a couple of years but I'm debating if I should get her a more aggressive ball and she can use her current one as a spare ball or if I should simply get her a plastic ball to use for spares. Or maybe I should break down and get both?

Edited by Iwritecode

I have a different ball for spares on the right side, or I use when the lanes are like sandpaper. % pin or anything left I use my regular ball. I don't know the oil patters enough and can only adjust so much that more than that is overkill for me. besides, Town & Country is only two things, Dry and dryER.

I carry three balls, but I am 99% sure to use one of two. The older one is a Storm Pyro, at least 8 years old now. It's the less aggressive of the two. With the oil we have been getting lately (longer and/or more), I start out with a Radical Reax Version 2 Pearl. I got this ball as a result of bowling in a summer sport shot league in 2015, but only put into service earlier this season.

Whichever ball I pick, I am using it for spares too. On occassion, I have switched to the Pyro for game 3 when the oil has been pushed down and the Reax is too strong. At times like this I might use the Pyro for a 10-pin spare attempt before switching out entirely.

So no, I don't have a spare ball. BUT - when my daughter bowled in high school, they wanted all the girls to get an aggressive first ball and a spare ball. They even wanted some of them to shoot all of their spares, left or right side, with their spare balls. A few had a ball for their hard corner pin.

SMO

:cheers

Edited by StillMissOzzie

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 02:08 PM)
Right now my daughter is the same way. She uses one ball and adjusts. One of her coaches has suggested getting a spare ball. The ball she has now is probably one step up from a plastic ball. It's also the first ball she's ever had that's fingertip. She's been using it for a couple of years but I'm debating if I should get her a more aggressive ball and she can use her current one as a spare ball or if I should simply get her a plastic ball to use for spares. Or maybe I should break down and get both?

This is a great idea. I got my daughter a decent aggressive ball, I think it made a world of difference.

SMO

QUOTE (StillMissOzzie @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 02:03 AM)
This is a great idea. I got my daughter a decent aggressive ball, I think it made a world of difference.

SMO

I talked to my pro shop guy and we decided to move up and get her a DV8 Diva which is a step or two above her current ball. We had to order it so it won't be in until Friday. In the meantime we also decided to get her current ball resurfaced. It was pretty slick.

She bowled in a tournament on Friday and struggled a bit the first game with a 111. Came back strong on the 2nd game with a 203. Last 2 games were in the 180's and 160's.

Watching her ball it just doesn't have a lot of snap at the end. Especially in the first game when the oil is the heaviest. That's really what made me want to get her a better ball. She's got tournaments the next 2 Saturdays and her school matches officially start the 24th. So I'll probably be updating more about her than me for the next month or so.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Mar 14, 2016 -> 11:44 AM)
I talked to my pro shop guy and we decided to move up and get her a DV8 Diva which is a step or two above her current ball. We had to order it so it won't be in until Friday. In the meantime we also decided to get her current ball resurfaced. It was pretty slick.

I couldn't find my daughter's ball with a 15 second search, but I will let you know what I got her. It's 2 or 3 years old now, though. I do recall being unpleasantly surprised when the pro shop guy rang me up. While standing right next to me, she texted, "Did you know how much that ball was?", and I said no, and you owe me.

Last Wednesday was not off to a good start. I got there a bit late, so practice had started already. The approaches were tackier than usual. And, I had a stiff neck. Now, this old fart needs a minimum of 4 frames of practice to start getting loose, and 1 or 2 of my "practice" balls counted. With enough EZ-slide, I could take care of the approaches. But the stiff neck was a bigger problem than I suspected. While it didn't bother me too much at work, it ended up being a major problem for bowling. Standing at the end of the approach, I could spot my mark. But, as I marched toward the foul line, I could not bend my neck down to keep an eye on that mark. For the first 7-8 frames or so, I was bowling blind, hoping that where I was standing would make me roll the ball where I wanted to. I was missing badly, with 6 and 7 counts. Three of the first five frames were open. I ended up with a brisk 166 fame.

Things got better though. In game 2, I started with the first seven of strikes. Then, in the 8th, I left the big four. Once again, ending a nice string with an open frame. To rub salt in the wound, I only got one of them. I struck again in the 9th, and then, I was back on my open frame lane again. And, I left the big four! Again! So with the first 7 and 8 strikes overall, no spares, but 2 open frames, for a 226 game. Should have been sooooo much more. Game 3 was an uneventful 205 game, so I missed a 600 because of that crappie first game.

Better luck this Wednesday...

SMO

Found out the "unofficial" results of the tournament my daughter bowled in on Friday. She missed the cut by 2 lousy pins. That first game of 111 really hurt. :(

As for me, I had a good night last night. 214, 200 and 237. My teammates did not have as much luck. We only won the last game and that was because I struck in the 9th and got the first 2 strikes in the 10th. We lost the second game by 8 pins.

The lanes seemed a little drier that usual. At least the back end was. My ball was snapping a little harder at the end. I even had 2 pocket 7-10s. Everyone was getting a lot of solid corner pins. I surprised myself and picked up all my 10 pins. I think I had 3 or 4. One guy had trouble even keeping the ball on the lane. He was going out to the first board and still hitting Brooklyn. He never really found his shot the whole night.

I think we are again tied for first place.

Edited by Iwritecode

Hey bowling dudes,

What would you say is the advantage in a personal ball versus the 'house balls' your local alley has for the public to use? Like, if you averaged 150 with house balls, and bought your own ball (and got accustomed to it, obviously), how much would you expect your average to improve?

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 12:13 PM)
Hey bowling dudes,

What would you say is the advantage in a personal ball versus the 'house balls' your local alley has for the public to use? Like, if you averaged 150 with house balls, and bought your own ball (and got accustomed to it, obviously), how much would you expect your average to improve?

The absolute biggest advantage over a house ball is having a ball drilled to fit you properly. So many people that use house balls have to use one that is under weight because the finger holes on the heavier balls are typically huge. Simply having a ball that fits properly should make a world of difference.

The next advantage would be having a ball that reacts to the lanes a bit better. There are tons of different cover stocks to choose from depending on what oil pattern you are typically on. Getting a ball that grips the lane and hooks into the pocket is more preferable than a plastic house ball that's going to go mostly straight.

That's not even mentioning that fact that you won't have to waste a bunch of time searching for a ball every time you go.

Are you on a league or thinking of joining one?

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 06:52 PM)
The absolute biggest advantage over a house ball is having a ball drilled to fit you properly. So many people that use house balls have to use one that is under weight because the finger holes on the heavier balls are typically huge. Simply having a ball that fits properly should make a world of difference.

The next advantage would be having a ball that reacts to the lanes a bit better. There are tons of different cover stocks to choose from depending on what oil pattern you are typically on. Getting a ball that grips the lane and hooks into the pocket is more preferable than a plastic house ball that's going to go mostly straight.

That's not even mentioning that fact that you won't have to waste a bunch of time searching for a ball every time you go.

Are you on a league or thinking of joining one?

Neither at the moment. I've just been playing more since my son gained interest in it and was wondering what kind of score increases I might see if I picked up a ball. I'd definitely consider joining a league, but not until I improve substantially.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 02:13 PM)
Neither at the moment. I've just been playing more since my son gained interest in it and was wondering what kind of score increases I might see if I picked up a ball. I'd definitely consider joining a league, but not until I improve substantially.

If you go from a plastic house ball to your own plastic ball and just throw it straight you will see some gains but not that substantial. However, if you can truly hit a 150 average consistently using a crappy house ball you could probably develop yourself into a 180-ish bowler fairly easily if you bought a good bowling ball and spent a little time on your game.

And as far as joining a league goes, if you join a fairly easy going, not overly competitive league nobody will really care what your average is. I've bowled in plenty of leagues, some very competitive some not very competitive, and in each one there has been plenty of bowlers who were 150-ish averages. I would just recommend talking to someone at your local alley and seeing which leagues are overly competitive and which leagues aren't. The most competitive league at my alley probably only has 2 or 3 bowlers (out of 40) that are less than about a 180 average. You'll have a lot more fun joining an easy going league than you will in a league where guys think they're in the PBA.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 02:13 PM)
I'd definitely consider joining a league, but not until I improve substantially.

You don't have to be a good bowler or have a high average to be on a league. My league has averages that range from 101 to 215 and everything in between. It's funny because the 101 and 215 averages are on the same team. :lol:

There are usually dozens of leagues to choose from. Most of them are filled with people that just want a night out away from their kids and/or an excuse to drink.

Thanks for your input.

The 150 was just a hypothetical round number. I'd guess my average is really more like a measly 115. I have smaller hands and find myself stuck using 12# balls (or even 10s) when we go out. I feel like the low weights are causing a distinct lack of impact, so that's why I was considering buying a ball so I could use something a little heavier.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 03:01 PM)
Thanks for your input.

The 150 was just a hypothetical round number. I'd guess my average is really more like a measly 115. I have smaller hands and find myself stuck using 12# balls (or even 10s) when we go out. I feel like the low weights are causing a distinct lack of impact, so that's why I was considering buying a ball so I could use something a little heavier.

You're probably right on that regard. Lighter balls have a tendency to bounce off the pins rather than drive through them like they are supposed to. A heavier ball should give you more/better pin action.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 03:02 PM)
I understand. I'd just like to get myself up to semi-competent, haha.

Around here they have what are literally called "lousy bowlers" leagues. They stress that it's for anyone and completely non-competitive. I don't know how common they are in other cities though.