2015 - 2016 Bowling Season

Is the HS team officially recognized as a sport or is it intramural / club level? In Texas it is not officially recognized through our state sports organization. We have a pretty good team here and it is well supported as a club but not at the same level as if it were part of our sports umbrella.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 20, 2016 -> 06:28 AM)
Is the HS team officially recognized as a sport or is it intramural / club level? In Texas it is not officially recognized through our state sports organization. We have a pretty good team here and it is well supported as a club but not at the same level as if it were part of our sports umbrella.

Yes, bowling is an official HS sport and part of the IHSA. The girls have been official for as long as I can remember. The boys became part of it around 2002.

When I was in HS we had a bowling program and competed against all the other schools but weren't recognized by the IHSA for some reason. So I kinda got screwed out of all the scholarship money that they give out to the kids these days.

Every single league and tournament that my daughter bowls in now she is earning scholarship money.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Apr 20, 2016 -> 08:58 AM)
Yes, bowling is an official HS sport and part of the IHSA. The girls have been official for as long as I can remember. The boys became part of it around 2002.

When I was in HS we had a bowling program and competed against all the other schools but weren't recognized by the IHSA for some reason. So I kinda got screwed out of all the scholarship money that they give out to the kids these days.

Every single league and tournament that my daughter bowls in now she is earning scholarship money.

I'm glad to hear that.

• 1 month later...

I joined a short 10-week summer league with my family. It's all 9-pin no-tap. Very first game I got a 296. Of course the very last shot I made the ball simply didn't hook at all.

The next 2 games were ok but not great. I'm just glad I don't have to worry about picking up the corner pins when I leave them! :D

I haven't bowled regularly since April so trying to get back into the routine. I was hoping playing softball would help but my arm is still a little sore.

I can finally contribute something to the bowling thread! (sort of...)

I am a barely-average bowler. I roll a straight ball, no hook at all. I play for fun and have never been in a league.

Since my daughter joined her school's team, I've been going with her on Sunday mornings almost every week for almost two years now.

I've gotten better (I would hope I would!) - I started off in the 120's or 130's and I've progressed to the 150-160's on average.

Last week the kid went to Six Flags with her Mom, so I went bowling alone.

I rolled a 122....and then a 211! I had never cracked 200 before in my life.

I sent her a text with a picture of the score, and she replied saying "That's great, Dad....but I've still got you by 4 pins!!"

.....kid can't even let me have my moment.... :lol:

Bowling is an indoor sport but it can still be miserable bowling in the summertime when the outside temp is 90+.

I bowled with my daughter in an adult/youth baker tournament on Saturday. We did ok but it was very hot and humid. Almost like their AC couldn't keep up. Everything felt wet. Even the drink we bought was sweating like mad. We had a target score of 688 (over 4 games) and bowled 695. Our lowest game was a 130 and that was the last game where I got tired and lost my line. I missed a 10-pin in the 9th frame that could've helped.

Then last night I took my ball out and realized I made a mistake leaving it in the trunk all day. It got so hot that some of the oil actually leaked out of it. All the tape in my thumb hole melted and fell out the first time I tried to throw it so I had a sticky mess from the residue.

I've been thinking about going to a switch-grip but not sure if the expense is worthwhile.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 10:32 AM)
I bowled with my daughter in an adult/youth baker tournament on Saturday. We did ok but it was very hot and humid. Almost like their AC couldn't keep up. Everything felt wet. Even the drink we bought was sweating like mad. We had a target score of 688 (over 4 games) and bowled 695. Our lowest game was a 130 and that was the last game where I got tired and lost my line. I missed a 10-pin in the 9th frame that could've helped.

We ended up tied for 10th in the tournament. 10 more pins and we would've been in 4th.

That missed 10 pin really sticks with me now. :angry:

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 11:51 AM)
We ended up tied for 10th in the tournament. 10 more pins and we would've been in 4th.

That missed 10 pin really sticks with me now. :angry:

We relive all the ones we miss. I look back on my year ended, and we had 10 games we lost by less than 10 pins. All 10 games gets us first place, half gets us second, 3 of them gets us 3rd. Oh the pain. Why can't I forget the ones I missed instead of forgetting what my wife asked me to get at Meijer?

So I was at the bowling alley yesterday watching my daughter bowl and I happened to look over at the wall where they display all the high scores for the season. One guy had an 857 series! :o That's insane.

I'm not even sure I could hit that in 4 games much less 3. I've only come close to an 800 series once in my life with a 791. I've had one 300 game and one 299 game on separate occasions and even on those days I was only around 700 total.

Luckily the guy that did it is one of our HS coaches. So I know our girls will be with someone that really knows what he's doing. :D

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jun 30, 2016 -> 12:26 PM)
So I was at the bowling alley yesterday watching my daughter bowl and I happened to look over at the wall where they display all the high scores for the season. One guy had an 857 series! :o That's insane.

I'm not even sure I could hit that in 4 games much less 3. I've only come close to an 800 series once in my life with a 791. I've had one 300 game and one 299 game on separate occasions and even on those days I was only around 700 total.

Luckily the guy that did it is one of our HS coaches. So I know our girls will be with someone that really knows what he's doing. :D

I haven't posted in here in awhile... But went bowling yesterday with my son and remembered this thread was a thing! Speaking about this post, a dude in my league 4 or 5 years ago had an 858 series, which is the new house record. It was pretty incredible to see.

I finished my season pretty well, I ended up a 180, up about 3 pins from last season. My son is almost 4 and ever since he was born my average has been slowly down (no time to practice bowling and improve!). But this season I did horrible to start and then around Week 10 changed some funky mechanics and did well to finish and bring my average up (Week 11 I was at a 167 average). I have a new ball that I used yesterday and in two games had a 182 and 233 - so I'm pretty excited for this upcoming season.

• 1 month later...

So I joined another adult/youth league with my daughter. She's 14 and typically carries around a 160ish average. Last night was our second week in. First game I had a 197 and she had a 204. It's the first time she's beat me at bowling. Ever. Then she proceeded to beat me in the next two games as well.

I had a 167, she gets a 175. The last game I managed a 221 and so she shoots a 232. She finished the night with a 611 series which was also her first 600 series.

Not that I'm really complaining though. The better she gets, the less I have to spend on her college tutition. :D

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Aug 31, 2016 -> 03:36 PM)
So I joined another adult/youth league with my daughter. She's 14 and typically carries around a 160ish average. Last night was our second week in. First game I had a 197 and she had a 204. It's the first time she's beat me at bowling. Ever. Then she proceeded to beat me in the next two games as well.

I had a 167, she gets a 175. The last game I managed a 221 and so she shoots a 232. She finished the night with a 611 series which was also her first 600 series.

Not that I'm really complaining though. The better she gets, the less I have to spend on her college tutition. :D

Man, she can bowl. Do kids that age ever get tired of the sport? Or is she a bowling enthusiast?

I have a question. I have a decent curve (hook or whatever it's called) and I usually am in the pocket. My method allows me to have a fighting chance for most spares. However, as a tall righty, I cannot for the life of me use my curve ball to pick up the 10 pin alone. I normally would go nine lines from my normal strike position and try to hit the second arrow with my 10 o clock grip. Instead I fail miserably. I've gotten to the point I scrap any normal strategy of bowling and just try to hit it straight on with a straight ball cause I am so flustered. To see the 10 pin there is sad cause I know I can't make it. the seven pin is easy for me.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 5, 2016 -> 02:45 PM)
Man, she can bowl. Do kids that age ever get tired of the sport? Or is she a bowling enthusiast?

Some kids get tired of it. Others continue to bowl their entire lives. I've been bowling since I was 5 or 6. She hasn't lost the passion for it yet so I hope she'll continue with it for as long as possible.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 5, 2016 -> 02:45 PM)
I have a question. I have a decent curve (hook or whatever it's called) and I usually am in the pocket. My method allows me to have a fighting chance for most spares. However, as a tall righty, I cannot for the life of me use my curve ball to pick up the 10 pin alone. I normally would go nine lines from my normal strike position and try to hit the second arrow with my 10 o clock grip. Instead I fail miserably. I've gotten to the point I scrap any normal strategy of bowling and just try to hit it straight on with a straight ball cause I am so flustered. To see the 10 pin there is sad cause I know I can't make it. the seven pin is easy for me.

Throwing straight at the 10 pin is the proper way to hit it. If you’re using a spare ball that doesn’t hook and shooting straight at it, you shouldn’t have too many problems. I just recently started using a plastic ball for picking up my 10-pins and it works great. Even if I put a little spin on it, it doesn’t hook at all.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Sep 6, 2016 -> 02:59 PM)
Throwing straight at the 10 pin is the proper way to hit it. If you’re using a spare ball that doesn’t hook and shooting straight at it, you shouldn’t have too many problems. I just recently started using a plastic ball for picking up my 10-pins and it works great. Even if I put a little spin on it, it doesn’t hook at all.

Where do you stand to throw the straight ball at the 10 pin? On the right side and just try to throw it straight to the left of the gutter? Or do I count my nine lines to the left and just aim at the 10?

Had a good night last night. 258, 265 & 237 for a 760 series. Then 2 baker games with my daughter and we shot 214 and 255.

I think the very last shot on my second game I had a 7 count. Literally everything else was a strike or a 9 spare. Haven't had a night like that in a long, long time.

Our season started this past Friday. We went 5-2, losing the middle game by 6 measly pins. Started off strong with a 227 and a 213. First few frames of the 3rd were rough for me, but things turned around, and had 3 strikes going into the 10th. Of course, I get my first split of the night, and ended the game with a 189. 629 series in the first week is a great start.

Nice bowling guys! I started last Tuesday, came in with a 180 average from last year. Switched to a new ball this year.

First game a 182, so thought "good at least hit my average", then had 239 and a 211... My handicap coming in was 45 per game, now this Tuesday my handicap for the night will be 45. Hopefully I can at least come in the vicinity this week!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok, after the first third of a season here, I have a very mixed bag going on. I bowl in 2 places, Town & Country in Joliet and Orland Bowl. last year I ended in the mid 180's both leagues, maybe 3 pins higher in Orland. This year, my average at orland is up to 195, but my Joliet one is down to 170!!! For the first 2 months it was in the 160's. I have no idea of the difference, I just seem to be getting less favorable pin action on my pocket shots in Joliet. Most of the league is down a few pins, but mine is somewhat drastic. I did have a 590 and 606 series the last 2 weeks, so perhaps there is light at the end of that tunnel. I know there are times when my feet, knees and arthritis hands play against me, but it hasn't been any more than normal, so far. Sucks getting old, but beats the alternative.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 12:04 PM)
Ok, after the first third of a season here, I have a very mixed bag going on. I bowl in 2 places, Town & Country in Joliet and Orland Bowl. last year I ended in the mid 180's both leagues, maybe 3 pins higher in Orland. This year, my average at orland is up to 195, but my Joliet one is down to 170!!! For the first 2 months it was in the 160's. I have no idea of the difference, I just seem to be getting less favorable pin action on my pocket shots in Joliet. Most of the league is down a few pins, but mine is somewhat drastic. I did have a 590 and 606 series the last 2 weeks, so perhaps there is light at the end of that tunnel. I know there are times when my feet, knees and arthritis hands play against me, but it hasn't been any more than normal, so far. Sucks getting old, but beats the alternative.

There was just a HS tournament at Town & Country last weekend. We only sent our varsity team but looking at their scores, they did not bowl like they normally do. They ended up in 2nd place overall but it looks like the scores were down for a lot of the girls. Most of them normally average 190+ and I saw a lot of scores in the 160s and 170s.

I don't know what it is about that house since I've never actually bowled there myself, but it sounds like it's pretty difficult shot.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 08:52 AM)
There was just a HS tournament at Town & Country last weekend. We only sent our varsity team but looking at their scores, they did not bowl like they normally do. They ended up in 2nd place overall but it looks like the scores were down for a lot of the girls. Most of them normally average 190+ and I saw a lot of scores in the 160s and 170s.

I don't know what it is about that house since I've never actually bowled there myself, but it sounds like it's pretty difficult shot.

It tends to dry out fast. The adjustment from game 1 to game 3 is sometimes pretty drastic. I have had my best game there (298) but have also had tons of splits on what appear to be legit shots.