1976 Throwbacks

flavum

I'm surprised the White Sox will be wearing those uniforms again. They have to be the worse looking uniforms in White Sox history. After JR bought the team in 1981 he said that he had the most mail from fans requesting the White Sox get new uniforms. They were not only ugly uniforms, they were worn in one of the worse eras in White Sox history, 1976-1980. The only good year of that era was 1977. The rest of the years were HORRIBLE.

QUOTE (SpringfieldFan @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 11:12 AM)
They were bad enough then, but I can only imagine what they are going to looks like if anyone wears the pants in the baggy down to the shoes style.

My #1 complaint about throwbacks. Either wear it right, or don't do it.

In fact, it's my #1 complaint about today's uniforms in general. Or the neon batting gloves. One or the other.

For a joke my friend and I got the $14 cheap knockoff of these a few years ago on ebay to wear to an event at a game. I have a Chet Lemon, and compared to some of the other disaster counterfeit jerseys, the one I have is pretty spot on. The collar is slightly bigger, but everything else is fine. I will put it on next Thursday. Haven't sported it in about 5 years. I will throw on some blue shorts and really look good.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (SpringfieldFan @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 11:12 AM)
They were bad enough then, but I can only imagine what they are going to looks like if anyone wears the pants in the baggy down to the shoes style.

It should be mandatory that all the players wear high socks/stirrups for this game, just as they all did for the '59 throwbacks last Friday.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 10:18 AM)
I'm surprised the White Sox will be wearing those uniforms again. They have to be the worse looking uniforms in White Sox history. After JR bought the team in 1981 he said that he had the most mail from fans requesting the White Sox get new uniforms. They were not only ugly uniforms, they were worn in one of the worse eras in White Sox history, 1976-1980. The only good year of that era was 1977. The rest of the years were HORRIBLE.

They wore them in 1981 as well, I believe.

The official press release reads...

The White Sox wore the jerseys from 1976-1981, including three games (game one of a double header on August 8, and August 21 and 22) in 1976 with shorts.

I had always heard they tried them for game one of the doubleheader and they were never seen again. Huh.