Could White Sox trade some pitching to fill other areas in offseason

Whisox05

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be interesting. This winter has a lot of potential routes it could go. Do the White Sox believe in Erik Johnson enough to open up a spot for him? Would they go after another starting pitcher? If Samardjiza doesn't resign, then you have two holes to fill with a Quintana trade... then what?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 11:43 AM)
It will be interesting. This winter has a lot of potential routes it could go. Do the White Sox believe in Erik Johnson enough to open up a spot for him? Would they go after another starting pitcher? If Samardjiza doesn't resign, then you have two holes to fill with a Quintana trade... then what?

I still would be surprised if Fulmer did not make an appearance for at least part of the season next year given how this team moves their pitchers. That could fill a role partially...however I also am looking slightly longer term and although John Danks is an adequate #4/5 starter right now, Fulmer remains to me an ideal player to replace Danks even in the middle of the season next year. So if you're looking at trading Q, I think you also look farther down line and think of having 3 slots you need to fill.

Montas could help with that by mid-season next year or 2017 as well, but a lesson from Rodon this year should be that even if guys are ready for the big leagues we need to expect them to struggle somewhat. So if we're going to work in these guys and trade someone like Q who is more established, we're setting ourselves up to struggle for a time while they adapt to the league.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 10:50 AM)
I still would be surprised if Fulmer did not make an appearance for at least part of the season next year given how this team moves their pitchers. That could fill a role partially...however I also am looking slightly longer term and although John Danks is an adequate #4/5 starter right now, Fulmer remains to me an ideal player to replace Danks even in the middle of the season next year. So if you're looking at trading Q, I think you also look farther down line and think of having 3 slots you need to fill.

Montas could help with that by mid-season next year or 2017 as well, but a lesson from Rodon this year should be that even if guys are ready for the big leagues we need to expect them to struggle somewhat. So if we're going to work in these guys and trade someone like Q who is more established, we're setting ourselves up to struggle for a time while they adapt to the league.

Until Montas can regularly go 7 innings in the minors, forget about him.

I know this would be a risky proposition but we may not have a choice if we really want to add dynamic youthful offense to the lineup but I would entertain trading Rodon. And I love the kid but I could see how you can bring back a couple of young offensive talents that are currently on a major league roster. Not a prospect that has proven nothing at the major league level. You can bring back exactly what you need with Rodon.

Someone had a stat somewhere.. ( Maybe it was Lip)

the Sox have lost 15 games this year where the the pitching staff has given up three runs or less over 9 inn…

If this is accurate.. with any kind of even average offense and the Sox grabbing 7 of those games.. .they are @.500 and realistically in the hunt for WC 2…

I think it's more or less a no brainer… no big news flash, Rick.. the FA approach to plug holes coupled with no young productive position players on the horizon has plunged this franchise into the dark ages… interesting to see if the Chicago Wolves top the White Sox in ST numbers in 2016...

QUOTE (captain54 @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 12:02 PM)

the Sox have lost 15 games this year where the the pitching staff has given up three runs or less over 9 inn…

If this is accurate.. with any kind of even average offense and the Sox grabbing 7 of those games.. .they are @.500 and realistically in the hunt for WC 2…

I think it's more or less a no brainer… no big news flash, Rick.. the FA approach to plug holes coupled with no young productive position players on the horizon has plunged this franchise into the dark ages… interesting to see if the Chicago Wolves top the White Sox in ST numbers in 2016...

Actually, if they won 7 that they lost, they would be 7 over .500.

QUOTE (captain54 @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 11:02 AM)

It's 17 games where they allowed an opponent three runs or less and lost.

Mark

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 08:37 AM)

Of course they could. Would I like any starters traded ? No. How about prospects ? No let them develop . Who then who might bring someone decent back ? Robertson perhaps much like they did with Addison Reed only Robertson is not as cheap by a long shot. Not sure what the return might bring.

Would be a bold thing to do but Sox might take a calculated risk that Jones can stay healthy and pitch effectively.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 05:40 PM)
Of course they could. Would I like any starters traded ? No. How about prospects ? No let them develop . Who then who might bring someone decent back ? Robertson perhaps much like they did with Addison Reed only Robertson is not as cheap by a long shot. Not sure what the return might bring.

Would be a bold thing to do but Sox might take a calculated risk that Jones can stay healthy and pitch effectively.

Montas and Danish absolutely should be trade bait if other teams significantly value them.

I think it's our best option to trade starting pitching for a good bat. I think EJ can easily duplicate what Shark has done this yr. but trading another arm such as Q or Rodon might hurt. If I were to trade either I'd look to the Dodgers for someone like Seager + an not Puig.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 12:49 PM)
Montas and Danish absolutely should be trade bait if other teams significantly value them.

Montas is at best a set-up man or closer of the future. I personally don't see overwhelming value in that so if someone is offering up some serious offensive talent for him you bite at that for sure.

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 12:57 PM)
Montas is at best a set-up man or closer of the future. I personally don't see overwhelming value in that so if someone is offering up some serious offensive talent for him you bite at that for sure.

At best a set up guy or closer? I think that's his floor. At his best, he can be a #2 starter.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 12:59 PM)
At best a set up guy or closer? I think that's his floor. At his best, he can be a #2 starter.

He doesnt have the control for his 95+mph stuff and if he throws it 95 and lower it gets hit hard because its straight. You can get away of that kind of stuff in the bullpen but the second time around a line-up you are going to struggle. I just dont see him as a productive starter in the big leagues. Only my opinion though.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 01:14 PM)
Sale untouchable, Rodon and Q near untouchable, Fulmer can't be dealt. If they decide to resign Shark, dangle EJ, Montas, Danish and others on the trade market.

I agree with this. I'm only trading Rodon if its for Arenado.

I'd love to add Longoria, Seager, or Frazier at 3B. I think they can be had without giving up Anderson.