The conundrum in the infield

ron883

I'm talking mainly about 2b and SS here.

Carlos Sanchez - gg caliber second baseman who has been hitting really well for a while now.

Micah Johnson - potential to be a very good offensive player for his position. Below average defensively.

Tim Anderson - shortstop of the future. Will get better on defense imo. Elite talent.

Eddy Alvarez - athletic shortstop who gets on base like a

Machine. Old, but lots of potential.

Saladino - above average utility player. Don't think his bat sticks at third base.

How does this shape out? I don't know if any of these guys have much trade value aside from Tim obviously. How do you think this shakes out?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sanchez long-term SS, Anderson long-term 2B, and our long-term 3B will be acquired through a trade, IMO. Still not sold on Anderson's defense at SS, while Sanchez played as much SS as he did 2B in the minors. Johnson would be traded, Saladino would be a bench player.

No idea how it plays out but i wouldn't mind seeing Saladino play some SS .He supposedly was thought of more highly than Sanchez there . I think it was Hahn who said Saladino was the 2nd best fielding SS behind Rondon. Hell ,even try Alexei at 3rd base. Increase their job descriptions, make them more valuable.

It's been refreshing to see Sanchez and Saladino both playing so well . And the defense from them is outstanding. That can't be stated enough.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Unless there is an upgrade Sanchez is the second baseman and that's fine, his defense helps the team but that's assuming you can find three or four real hitters to help the putrid offense.

Anderson will be given the shot maybe next year, certainly in two years to become the regular shortstop. All I can say is he better be good.

Saladino is a plus defender. He's perfect for the utility role, late inning defense. Nothing wrong with that. That's an important part of the team.

Unless or until Johnson can stay healthy he's not even in the discussion.

Mark

QUOTE (ron883 @ Aug 22, 2015 -> 10:28 AM)
I'm talking mainly about 2b and SS here.

Carlos Sanchez - gg caliber second baseman who has been hitting really well for a while now.

Micah Johnson - potential to be a very good offensive player for his position. Below average defensively.

Tim Anderson - shortstop of the future. Will get better on defense imo. Elite talent.

Eddy Alvarez - athletic shortstop who gets on base like a

Machine. Old, but lots of potential.

Saladino - above average utility player. Don't think his bat sticks at third base.

How does this shape out? I don't know if any of these guys have much trade value aside from Tim obviously. How do you think this shakes out?

I really do not see a conundrum to be honest. From my POV, it appears like everything is falling into place. The Sox finally have multiple options which is a very good thing. It was not long ago that the Sox had literally no good MI prospects, but that has changed and I think the Sox deserve some credit for that.

Alvarez has just jumped to A ball so he's still a ways off yet. Not really in the mix right now. Presents a possible fallback option at SS in case Anderson does not pan out. Works out well with Alvarez a level behind Anderson so its likely Alvarez moves up to AA when Anderson goes to AAA.

Sanchez stays at 2B unless he hits (lack of) his way back to a bench role. I think Sanchez will be fine and be the Sox 2B for the foreseeable future.

Micah almost has to be traded unless the Sox are able to move LaRoche and slide Micah in at DH. DH is literally his only option right now. His poor defense at 2B isn't moving Sanchez and his arm is too weak for the OF. Micah is either trade bait or a SOX DH at this point.

Saladino likely stays at 3B since there are no other options at this point. Let him stay at third and see how he plays and in the mean time the Sox can still look for a 3B.

With the defensive improvements Anderson has made, he's likely to take over SS after Alexei is gone. I'm guessing the Sox bring Alexei back next year to keep the SS position warm for Anderson to take over, hopefully, in 2017.

One interesting idea is if the Sox can find a 3B, they could move Saladino to SS next year and about 10M by not keeping Alexei.. I love Saladino's defensive versatility between 3B and SS. I really like that the Sox finally have multiple options for the MI.

Edited by BlackSox13

The only infielder in the system with the chance at having a plus bat is Anderson. A lineup can deal with one guy like Sanchez who is excellent defensively and terrible offensively, but not two guys like that. One infielder is going to have to be acquired via trade or FA. It's increasingly likely that Alexei's option doesn't get picked up so that frees up some money. Even more if Shark isn't re-signed.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 22, 2015 -> 11:18 AM)
The only infielder in the system with the chance at having a plus bat is Anderson. A lineup can deal with one guy like Sanchez who is excellent defensively and terrible offensively, but not two guys like that.

Except Sanchez also has the chance of having a plus bat. He isn't terrible offensively by any means.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 22, 2015 -> 09:12 AM)
Unless there is an upgrade Sanchez is the second baseman and that's fine, his defense helps the team but that's assuming you can find three or four real hitters to help the putrid offense.

Anderson will be given the shot maybe next year, certainly in two years to become the regular shortstop. All I can say is he better be good.

Saladino is a plus defender. He's perfect for the utility role, late inning defense. Nothing wrong with that. That's an important part of the team.

Unless or until Johnson can stay healthy he's not even in the discussion.

Mark

Are you saying Sanchez offense is putrid ? For May and June that was true but not for July and August. I'm leaning towards the latter stats as being closer to his true self than the "adjusting to the league" numbers of May and June. He's been hitting .303 since July 1. .319 post All Star game (.845 OPS)

I'll guestimate that he's somewhere around a .275, 30 doubles , 5-8 HR .725 OPS next year.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

They need more power. That normally comes from the 3b position. Since my hope is for them to go younger and not spend $ via free agency, which consequently sacrifices draft picks, they need to looki into a major trade to fill that spot this winter. It will most likely be shades of 2013. Trade pitchers for positional players. Saladino is the perfect utility fielder going forward.

I like Tim Anderson in the SS role as early as next season. He will take his bumps, but he is progressing quite well down in the farm.

In regards to 2B, this is where I'm conflicted. Carlos Sanchez is a tremendous defense 2B, but his offensive struggles were more than evident. If he can figure out how to hit at the MLB level similar as he did down in Charlotte, you are looking at a potential all star. With signs of his bat coning alive, I would like to see how he finishes the season before they officially decide what to do here.

With Micah Johnson you have the complete opposite. He was completely lost defensively, but he brings more offensive punch to the lineup. My hope is that he works on his glove and footwork all offseason and eventually figures it out because his speed can provide the offense with a much needed spark.

I guess I would let them both battle it out yet again via spring training. Perhaps even a new manager can bring something different to the table for both of these players?? Only time will tell.

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 22, 2015 -> 12:49 PM)
Wow, I didn't realize Alvarez has a career .419 OBP. That's crazy. He has incredible speed too. Only at high-A though, must be due to defense.

Nah, it's because this is his first full season of pro-ball after not playing for so long due to the Olympics.

He's got good defensive tools and he prides himself on defense, so he's been frustrated this year by the errors. He says they're mostly mental.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 22, 2015 -> 12:50 PM)
Nah, it's because this is his first full season of pro-ball after not playing for so long due to the Olympics.

He's got good defensive tools and he prides himself on defense, so he's been frustrated this year by the errors. He says they're mostly mental.

Ah, I see. Thanks.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 22, 2015 -> 08:32 AM)
Sanchez long-term SS, Anderson long-term 2B, and our long-term 3B will be acquired through a trade, IMO. Still not sold on Anderson's defense at SS, while Sanchez played as much SS as he did 2B in the minors. Johnson would be traded, Saladino would be a bench player.

Do you really think Sanchez has the arm for SS? He lollipops a lot of throws and he can't throw a relay from the OF to home base without stepping 2-3 times. Anderson has a good arm and great range, I think he is just working out the little nuances like footwork and apparently has taking huge strides defensively this year,

My problems with Sanchez:

1. He does not walk at a good rate.

2. He does not steal any bases

3. He does not hit for any power.

If Micah is healthy than he has to play. If he can bring that bat to the majors, the fielding will come with more reps.

the conundrum i have in trading any of the tyler, sanchez or MJ is still the uncertainty of next yr performance.

is sanchez is the player we saw in the first half or is he the player in the 2nd half.

mj, can he be a decent defensive player to man 2b or is he the player that is completely lost there.

saladino, can he hit enuf.

do we hold all of them and loose value for a possible trade????

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 22, 2015 -> 12:49 PM)
Wow, I didn't realize Alvarez has a career .419 OBP. That's crazy. He has incredible speed too. Only at high-A though, must be due to defense.

That's what I'm saying. He is a beast. He is 25 already, but he is very young in baseball years. He is making a mockery of high A so far. Its hard to evaluate him because he is obviously more physically mature than people he's playing, but he is younger in baseball years than most of them

QUOTE (kwill @ Aug 22, 2015 -> 01:23 PM)
My problems with Sanchez:

1. He does not walk at a good rate.

2. He does not steal any bases

3. He does not hit for any power.

If Micah is healthy than he has to play. If he can bring that bat to the majors, the fielding will come with more reps.

Micah will never come close to Sanchez's fielding. Also, second base is not a power hitting position.

IMO, we should not pick up Alexei's option for next year. Enter 2016 with Micah, Sanchez, & Saladino competing for the SS & 2B jobs, loser ends up as the reserve infielder. Trade Montas in a package for a long-term answer at 3B. Give Anderson a good 3 months in AAA, if he forces your hand in July then make the change. Otherwise, assume he's the starting SS in 2017 and one of the other young infielders either moves into a backup role is trade bait.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Aug 22, 2015 -> 01:43 PM)
That's what I'm saying. He is a beast. He is 25 already, but he is very young in baseball years. He is making a mockery of high A so far. Its hard to evaluate him because he is obviously more physically mature than people he's playing, but he is younger in baseball years than most of them

Why haven't we promoted him to AA? That's what confuses me.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 22, 2015 -> 01:59 PM)

Tim Anderson is there. No reason to pull Eddy from SS and put him somewhere else if he can play there. Worst case, Eddy mashes so hard that we play him and Tim Anderson in the IF. Move the lesser defense to 2B and have a really solid offensive and defensive duo there. And you have 2 absolute burners at those positions. Or you can always trade him if his value jumps.

Eddy has only been playing baseball again for a year and a half. He will play the year out at A+ and move to AA next year, I'm assuming. I'm really exited about his tools though. You can't teach that plate discipline. Averages pretty much as many walks as SO's in his career so far.

Anyway, I think we see an Alvarez/Tim Anderson combo at SS and 2B in two years. Probably Tim and SS and Eddy at 2B IMO. That could be elite from an offensive and defensive standpoint.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 22, 2015 -> 01:59 PM)

Tim Anderson is playing SS with DeMichele playing 2B so there's really no room at the moment. Plus, Alvarez just recently got moved up to Winston. Next year Anderson will be at Charlotte with Alvarez moving up to Birmingham.